getting ready to make a new purchase: WRX hatch or BRZ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on getting ready to make a new purchase: WRX hatch or BRZ? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; A pic like this of the space in the back actually helped me to turn the corner and start thinking ...

I Support ClubWRX
    A pic like this of the space in the back actually helped me to turn the corner and start thinking seriously about that car. It's no WRX wagon, I think I could get 2 guys and 2 backpacks in the car. Or 2 guys and 2 bodies. Whatever.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    A pic like this of the space in the back actually helped me to turn the corner and start thinking seriously about that car. It's no WRX wagon, I think I could get 2 guys and 2 backpacks in the car. Or 2 guys and 2 bodies. Whatever.
    Put the bodies into bags, helps with the smell.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Phobic View Post
    do you know if that top piece comes out? Im assuming yes.
    No idea, but it looks like the third brake light is attached, so I'm guessing no.
    - Will

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    No idea, but it looks like the third brake light is attached, so I'm guessing no.
    that would be a bad call, IMO. Im gonna try to get a friend with an FRS to confirm this.

Mangostick has an FRS and I saw the trunk space. To be honest with you, with fold down rear seats, it's gotta be more space than the GD Sedans. We don't have too terribly much room back there in all honesty. The FRS/BRZ will probably rival that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Mangostick has an FRS and I saw the trunk space. To be honest with you, with fold down rear seats, it's gotta be more space than the GD Sedans. We don't have too terribly much room back there in all honesty. The FRS/BRZ will probably rival that.
    Comparison: 07 WRX sedan to 13 BRZ

Wheelbase:
    WRX - 99.4 " BRZ - 101.2 "

Front track:
    WRX - 58.5 " BRZ - 59.8 "

Rear track:
    WRX - 58.3 " BRZ - 60.6 "

Turning radius:
    WRX - 17.7 ' BRZ - 17.7 '

Drag coefficient:
    WRX - .33 BRZ - .29

Front legroom:
    WRX - 42.9 " BRZ - 41.9 "

Rear legroom:
    WRX - 33.0 " BRZ - 29.9 "

Front headroom:
    WRX - 38.6 " BRZ - 37.1 "

Rear headroom:
    WRX - 36.7 " BRZ - 35.0 "

Front hiproom:
    WRX - 53.3 " BRZ - 53.1 "

Rear hiproom:
    WRX - 51.9 " BRZ - 45.3 "

Front shoulder room:
    WRX - 52.7 " BRZ - 54.5 "

Rear shoulder room:
    WRX - 52.9 " BRZ - 51.7 "

Luggage volume:
    WRX - 11.0 cu.ft. BRZ - 6.9 cu.ft.

Luggage volume (max):
    WRX - 11.0 cu.ft. BRZ - 6.9 cu.ft.

Passenger volume:
    WRX - 88 cu.ft. BRZ - 77 cu.ft.
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Phobic View Post
    this is one thing Id love to test, but I dont think a dealer would let me haha.

I gotta find some willing friends that wont mind me shoving things in their FRS.

And If I do go with the frs/brz chances are good I would get the BRZ limited because of the nicer interior, unless the FRS release series is awesome.
    I'm sitting next to one right now and would be happy to give you my best guess, what exactly are you trying to fit in there?
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    I'm sitting next to one right now and would be happy to give you my best guess, what exactly are you trying to fit in there?
    here are the exact dimensions:

36-3/4in H
    24-3/4in W
    19-3/4in D
    93.35cm H
    62.87cm W
    50.17cm D

Last edited by Phobic; 03-12-2013 at 08:28 AM.

bump! any BRZ owners around wanna chime in here?

Hmm... I like the BRZ, but right now it is not for me. I would wait to see what they come up with as far as STi versions, forced induction, whatever (assuming that would interest you). I only say this because from the tests I've read, the car can handle more power without sacrificing great handling. Although the price would probably go up more than most are willing to fork out at that point.

If you are ok with not modifying the BRZ/FRS and running the stock size tires, then you would probably really enjoy it. I've heard that it gets boring when you try to add stickier rubber and wider wheels.

If I was in your position I probably wouldn't get another WRX as long as the one you have isn't too high mileage and you don't mind keeping it on the road. You can keep using that car for the awd capabilities. Unless you are really in love with the car, but it sounds like you're looking to try something different.

I have a 2011 hatch and the space in the back is awesome! I've hauled a full set of front and rear seats for my mustang. 4 wheels with tires are no problem. I also have big sound equipment (for DJ work) and I've been able to fit 2 decent sized PA speakers with 15" drivers, 2 smaller ones with 12" drivers, mixer, amp, computer, turntables, tripods, and everything else needed. That had it filled up quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I like this thread, it will help me to sort some things out as well! Hopefully the OP won't mind me participating.

I want to like the Genesis coupe, but at 3400 lbs it's a little porky for my sports car. The new front end looks weird to me, as does that weird dip in the glass after the B pillar. Testers have also said that it wants to understeer, and some have even said that it looks great on paper, but that the bits and pieces (shifting action, for one) don't work that great when you're really on it. I'm not a magazine racer...but there's probably a reason why the Gen seems to finish near the bottom in comparo tests.
    That said, I should probably drive one before I buy something in a few months. The specs do look intriguing for the money.

Miatas are supposed to be fantastic, but I'm just not a "cute convertible" kinda guy. Don't need a convertible top, and I do have a need to carry people short distances, here and there. The back of the BRZ is small, but will accommodate my kids in a pinch.

Everything keeps steering me back to the FR-S/BRZ, or something used and German.
    The genesis coupe does sound good on paper and I really like the way it looks. But I agree that I have yet to hear anyone sing praises of its handling. Track times don't look so hot, but it is probably a great road car for the price. A few of my friends considered them and gave it the test drive, but nobody I know has bought one yet.

Everyone loves the miata, but I'd buy an s2k...

Sounds like the frs/brz would be good for you, but have you considered a newer 1 series bmw? Small, rwd, powerful, maybe a little heavier than these other cars though. I looked into getting one but was a little turned away by the price. The salesmen told me that plenty of people will lease them and you can get great deals on them when their leases are up.

WRX Hatch or BRZ ?? Difficult choice. I have driven the WRX Hatch. Smooth car, whereas BRZ, is an awesome looks. Haven't driven it yet but i do like the style so, i guess i would go for the BRZ rather than Hatch. But as per your space consume, i suggest you go with Hatch

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post

Everyone loves the miata, but I'd buy an s2k...
    If Honda still made the S2K it would be my choice for RWD coupe. Sadly they don't make performance cars anymore and the used market for those is almost worse then the WRX market where I am.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    The 1-series BMW thought is interesting. I'll read up on what people have to say about them as driver's cars. I have the notion that most modern BMW's feel a little "disconnected" when compared to other sports cars, but I haven't been behind the wheel of a 1.

Don't want an S2K for the same reasons I don't want a Miata. It's a fine car, just not for me.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    You don't like drop-tops or are you too tall?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast