Looking to buy this '06 WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking to buy this '06 WRX within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hello everyone, This is my first post. I just sold my Acura TSX, and have decided I want to buy ...

Looking to buy this '06 WRX

Hello everyone,

This is my first post.
    I just sold my Acura TSX, and have decided I want to buy a WRX.
    My question comes to purchasing a modded WRX.
    I know many people advise against it, but 1) it's actually a lot harder than I thought to find a stock WRX '06 and below, and 2) this one "seems" like it may have been taken care of pretty well.

So, my question is what should I really focus on looking for when inspecting a modded wrx?
    I've read the guide on how to purchase a used WRX, and that has helped a lot.
    I plan on taking it to a local shop to get a compression/leak test done.
    I just want to make sure the car will be reliable with its current mods. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link to the ad.

FS/FT 2007 Subaru WRX

Thanks in advance everyone.

Cheers,
    Henry

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Compression/leakdown is a definite good step. Ad looks pretty good, he's even given the info for who built/tuned the car, which is a rarity. Pretty sure that is a pretty nice turbo; I do think that the mod list is not complete as I think there should be more supporting mods, although the guys who know more than me can chip in with what that turbo would require.

Edit: Just noticed that he says that the list is not complete and that you can contact him for the full list.

My only question would be: why's he selling if he loves it so much?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Built engine by TiC, all popular name-brand parts, appears well-maintained. $15k is a very reasonable asking price, even without the wheels or seats.

As stated, get a full vehicle inspection, but at least from the ad, it appears to be a car that was thoughtfully modified on a pretty large budget.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I emailed the seller and asked him for receipts and any paperwork that he has to go along with his build.
    As far as reliability and driveability is concerned, will a built motor and an upgraded turbo have any issues?
    This will be my daily. Like you guys said, it seems like he had everything built and tuned by reputable folks, and that's why I am even considering taking a look at it.
    Thanks again for your help!

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Compression/leakdown is a definite good step. Ad looks pretty good, he's even given the info for who built/tuned the car, which is a rarity. Pretty sure that is a pretty nice turbo; I do think that the mod list is not complete as I think there should be more supporting mods, although the guys who know more than me can chip in with what that turbo would require.

Edit: Just noticed that he says that the list is not complete and that you can contact him for the full list.

My only question would be: why's he selling if he loves it so much?
    That's the first thing I thought, I asked him that as well.
    Maybe he's looking to get into RWD?

I Support ClubWRX
    Aside from the good advice that's already been given I would like to say that this car is beautiful! Looks very well put together and taken care of. If you get this I will be jealous!!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Meegunz View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I emailed the seller and asked him for receipts and any paperwork that he has to go along with his build.
    As far as reliability and driveability is concerned, will a built motor and an upgraded turbo have any issues?
    This will be my daily. Like you guys said, it seems like he had everything built and tuned by reputable folks, and that's why I am even considering taking a look at it.
    Thanks again for your help!

Henry
    If it is as well built as it seems to be, then it will be just like any car. Don't drive it like a maniac and it won't act up like a maniac. Only thing, I don't know what kind of power numbers he's looking at there, and whether there would be any issues with the transmission (or, for that matter, if he already did some work on the tranny).
    - Will

If it is as well built as it seems to be, then it will be just like any car. Don't drive it like a maniac and it won't act up like a maniac. Only thing, I don't know what kind of power numbers he's looking at there, and whether there would be any issues with the transmission (or, for that matter, if he already did some work on the tranny).
    Gotcha, I guess nothing will tell besides a test drive.
    I don't plan on driving like a maniac, just spirited driving once in a while.
    I'll keep you guys posted on the mod list he shoots over.
    I would really appreciate some analysis on that once I post it.
    Thanks again everyone.

I don't want to get excited about this car, but I can't seem to help it.

I asked for all the paper, including tune.
    Will certainly ask about the tranny.

Side note, what kind of AWHP number is acceptable on the stock tranny?
    Maybe acceptable isn't the correct word, but suggested HP on a stock tranny?

Sorry, don't know why it posted both of my replies twice...

I Support ClubWRX
    I might be mis-speaking here but I believe it's in the neighborhood of 320-350. Anything above that is asking for trouble.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow great looking car...I wonder what is on there for the exhaust system, he doesn't mention that.

Sorry, don't know why it posted both of my replies twice...
    It happens some times, maybe due to our recent server upgrade?

If you click on "edit post" for one of them, there is an option to delete the post.
    - Will

Is there any additional maintenance required for a modified car in addition to regular scheduled?
    Because of the upgraded turbo is there something more I need to worry about maintenance wise?

I Support ClubWRX
    Is there any additional maintenance required for a modified car in addition to regular scheduled?
    Because of the upgraded turbo is there something more I need to worry about maintenance wise?
    As long as the upgrade was done properly it will be fine with regular maintenance. You just need to be very strict with it. Making sure everything is done on time with the proper fluid/filter and such.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast