Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wrx

17 89.47%
  • Rsx type s

2 10.53%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 WRX or 02-03 Rsx type S? (poll) within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX Stalling is unlikely to hurt a turbocharger, IMO. I don't consider the stock clutch to be ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Stalling is unlikely to hurt a turbocharger, IMO. I don't consider the stock clutch to be particularly sensitive, but then I'm not as discriminating as some of the Gen-Y folks around here, who get upset when windows don't roll up exactly the same, etc.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bugeye, you get more booty than having an acura

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyturkey View Post
    As the title states, I am having a hard time deciding between the two.
    I have always wanted a Subaru but I do not really want to be driving a wrx while being sad that it is not an STi (if you know what I mean).
    Sorry, I don't. If you want an STi, buy one. They're mass produced Japanese cars, they're readily available.

The Rsx seems like a nice car
    They are quite nice, yes, and I like the interior and finish better than on the Impreza.

I do not think I will be doing much modding.
    Good.

Please help me reach a decision.
    No. Call your insurance agent and do that math there, then figure out how much you drive annually and how much fuel will cost for either. Then go from there. It's personal; I'd no sooner tell you whom to marry.

My friend said it was like comparing C350 and C63 AMG.
    It's a poor comparison because Subarus (and even more so Hondas) tend to run reliable. Mercs do not.

If it were me, I'd buy the cheaper of the two (Honda vs. Subaru) but only after I discovered which is cheaper to own rather than just buy. So I'd add initial cost, insurance, maintenance costs, likely failures (reliability), potential resale value, and so on.

If you need AWD, then the issue is settled. However, since you're asking, you don't need AWD.

The RSX is very compelling. Go drive one.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Bugeye seats are better, from what I remember.
    It's been awhile since I was in an RSX, but I do remember the seats were excellent. That said, it's no secret I regard the bugeye seats as the most comfortable and supportive I've ever used, on any car, so I remain obviously biased toward the bugeye. Everywhere else though, the RSX has a much more "upscale" interior.

I actually quite like Hondas/Acuras. My wife has one. For me, AWD was a priority since we live in a wet and sometimes snowy region. I'd probably be ok without AWD, but it's nice to have just in case. For me then, I wouldn't consider any car that didn't have AWD. On that note, I really like the 2009 Acura TL. You could get that model with the 300hp V6, a six-speed, and SH-AWD. I drove one once and it felt faster than a WRX by quite a wide margin. They discontinued the manual version in later years unfortunately.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I really like the 2009 Acura TL. You could get that model with the 300hp V6, a six-speed, and SH-AWD.
    That sounds really compelling. I keep wondering if an AWD Honda will be my next car.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I think I'm going to go onto the local Bugatti Veyron forum and ask which I should get: a Veyron or a Kia. Seems legit.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I asked rsx owners the same question and most favoured the wrx. I guess wrx it is. Thanks all.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That sounds really compelling. I keep wondering if an AWD Honda will be my next car.
    Honda's older generation AWD (think CR-V) is FWD with occasional rear power when slip is detected. It's a low-tech system, like Subaru's, but the extremely heavy front bias with no ability to lock torque to the rear means the car is pretty much SOL if both front wheels lose traction.

One step up from that is their VTM-4 system (think Pilot/Ridgeline), which is basically the same idea as above, but adds a user-selectable 4-wheel-drive lock function, and a locking rear diff at low speeds. I can vouch that the Ridgeline's setup is quite effective in very deep snow and mud, even at steep grades. I've also done some mild rock-crawling up to a fishing hole in one, and it suffered no loss of traction. The Ridgeline also won the Baja 1000 in its Stock vehicle class.

Honda most sophisticated AWD, "SH-AWD", is more akin to the Lancer EVO architecture as far as technology goes. It adds a suite of features like active yaw control, grade logic control, and acceleration vectoring to distribute power much more broadly than Honda's FWD-focused AWD systems. It has permanent 4 wheel drive with true torque vectoring abilities side-to-side (via electromagnetic clutches in the diffs, not dabbing the brakes). The rear is basically an open diff with two internal electronically controlled clutches that can supply 100% of the available rear torque to the outside rear wheel during cornering. Because of this, it doesn't need a center diff, which is interesting. I haven't used SH-AWD on anything but dry pavement, so I can't really give it a fair comparison to the VTM-4 or Subaru AWD systems.

Honda's next generation SH-AWD uses a conventional FWD hybrid-electric transaxle with electric motors driving each rear wheel independently. During cornering, current is supplied to the outside wheel, while the inner wheel drags with electrical regeneration. This means not only can it supply 100% of available rear torque to the outside, but it actually "subtracts" torque from the inner wheel, almost like a tractor turning brake.

/rabbit trail. Sorry, got distracted there, lol.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    For the older years, there was a decent power difference between the wrx and the sti, but even so a comparison I've heard a lot is this: if you are going to track the car often, sti. If it is pretty much just going to be a daily driver, wrx. Not that one couldn't be perfectly fine in either role, but I am speaking generally.
    Yeah I agree, that is exactly what I tell my customers who are on the fence. As for the OP's question, I have experience with both cars and it really depends on what you're after. I would pick the bugeye for performance, and the RSX for cost of ownership (since there is no turbo and no awd systerm its a bit more reliable, especially if both cars have been modded which a lot of these have) Both cars are fun, but for me FWD just doesn't cut it.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    Yeah I agree, that is exactly what I tell my customers who are on the fence. As for the OP's question, I have experience with both cars and it really depends on what you're after. I would pick the bugeye for performance, and the RSX for cost of ownership (since there is no turbo and no awd systerm its a bit more reliable, especially if both cars have been modded which a lot of these have) Both cars are fun, but for me FWD just doesn't cut it.
    Gotta love a good honest opinion from a person with good reason to be biased

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyturkey View Post
    I asked rsx owners the same question and most favoured the wrx. I guess wrx it is. Thanks all.
    That's actually funny. Impreza owners recommending the Honda, and vice-versa. Good for them.

One step up from that is their VTM-4 system (think Pilot/Ridgeline),
    One disadvantage to VTM-4 is the frequent service interval. Although the transmission fluid usually goes for 30+k miles, the VTM-4 calls for a service at half that interval in my experience. That's a shame. I suppose it has to do with the small amount of fluid used.

IMO fwd is gay you really wanna be one of those Honda guys (honda makes Acura) that Everybody makes fun of?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by elblanco1987 View Post
    IMO fwd is gay you really wanna be one of those Honda guys (honda makes Acura) that Everybody makes fun of?
    So from what you're say FWD only loves other FWD? Also, people make fun of ricers of all kinds not just Honda/Acura. I mostly make fun of Mustangs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    On that note, I really like the 2009 Acura TL. You could get that model with the 300hp V6, a six-speed, and SH-AWD. I drove one once and it felt faster than a WRX by quite a wide margin. They discontinued the manual version in later years unfortunately.
    Be certain about what you like before going down that road. A TL is certainly a technically superior car to a WRX in all sorts of ways...as was my G35c when I traded out of my first bugeye. Yet 3 months later I was longing for my Subaru.

You may be wired differently than I am, but I've learned over time that for me, the luxury brands just have too much padding and electronics for me to have fun driving them, manual or not.

FWD is a perfect solution to many problems...less expensive to mass produce, less driveline losses, and better traction in the wet than a comparable RWD car. If I wasn't a car enthusiast, I'm sure I'd be quite happy being one of those Honda guys that you make fun of.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

So true...FWD certainly has been proven scientifically to make you desire the same sex for companionship and intercourse.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.