Trying to buy a 2006 WRX. Need help. New to Subarus
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Trying to buy a 2006 WRX. Need help. New to Subarus within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; i have a few subies in mind but the one i want is 12700 with only 54000 miles on it. ...

Trying to buy a 2006 WRX. Need help. New to Subarus

i have a few subies in mind but the one i want is 12700 with only 54000 miles on it. i need help because i literally know nothing about subarus and i really interested in them. i want to know it all. someone please help me. =)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! What are your questions?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Another thing is that everything on the car is stock except he put on a body kit, carbon fiber wing and hood, and a flat black vinyl on the roof. other thatn that everything is stock.

i am in class so i can only post a few times in an hour. but ill get back to you in a bit.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmmmmm, the price is good for the miles. I paid $12.7k for my 06 with 79k on it. That body kit and stuff has me a little worried though. Do you have a link to the ad or something so we can see the car?
    Last edited by michaelwfox; 02-25-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Cars for Sale: 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan in Burbank, CA 91504: Sedan Details - 331931787 - AutoTrader.com

here is the link. My questions are it doesnt state that it has a turbo on it how am i supposed to know if it has one through the pictures. i really have no idea. i am looking for help on everything. also the body kit i am probably going to take off as well as the wing and vinyl. but it is a really good price for the miles.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well since it is a WRX and there is an intercooler ontop of the engine I would say that it is safe to say that it has a turbo

I Support ClubWRX
    Follow the link in my signature for info.

See the how-to-buy threads in the purchasing forum for answers to your immediate questions.

The car is worth less because it is lacking body parts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

what exactly do you mean lacking body parts?

so to be honest before looking subarus i was nothing but an american muscle guy so i have no idea what the engine is supposed to look like on subies let alone on any other car. i am just becoming interested on working on cars (only took me 21 years). but a buddy of mine hopefully will be able to come check it out with me. but just in case i need to know everything i can before i go and buy one.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbllfreek View Post
    what exactly do you mean lacking body parts?
    It doesn't have a stock hood. You would have to source one if you ever wanted to replace it.

To me the car looks poorly put together. Meaning it has cheap body mods done to it. If the motor is anything but 100% stock I would walk away because based on the mods they did to the outside they probably wouldn't do any engine mods properly either.

This is my personal opinion. regardless of what you decide it would be best to follow the link in SD_GR's signature and research what to look for when buying a used WRX.

Side note: All WRX's are turbo.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

fortunately with the engine mods it has none. it is completely stock. which is one thing i really wanted because i wanted to learn by myself and do everything myself. the cheap body mods i will eventually take off and probably sell so i am not to worried about that. because ill probably get money out of it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27979675759.331931787.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	112161

I Support ClubWRX
    New Grill, New hood, New front bumper, It has been in a front end accident. Whether or not the Carfax says so is another matter.

FWIW the carbon hood on the car is heavier than the stock one.

The STi badge on the grill is like putting an "SS" badge on a 6cyl Camaro.

Personally I would want to know:

1. How extensive the damage to the front was.
    2. Was it taken to a frame shop?
    3. Was the front of the motor damaged? If so what was repaired? * It says new timing belt and tensioner....why at that mileage? If the front of the engine was hit what about the crank pulley and idlers?
    4. The intercooler looks crooked.
    5. Was it registered out of state to "Wash" the title? Clean or Salvage?
    6. Is the Ac condenser original pre accident? Does it work? How many fins are bent?
    7. Service history, recepits?
    8. Is there a diverter or bellow forcing air through the intercooler?
    9. Why is the tow hook cover black? too lazy to paint it too?

Personally, for that money with knowing what I do from pics alone I would pass.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 02-25-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Well you were right i called the guy after him claiming that it was a clean title the car has a salvage title it was hit is the front as you suspected and looks like i am ooking at getting another car... lol. thanks for the heads up. appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    New Grill, New hood, New front bumper, It has been in a front end accident. Whether or not the Carfax says so is another matter.

FWIW the carbon hood on the car is heavier than the stock one.

The STi badge on the grill is like putting an "SS" badge on a 6cyl Camaro.

Personally I would want to know:

1. How extensive the damage to the front was.
    2. Was it taken to a frame shop?
    3. Was the front of the motor damaged? If so what was repaired? * It says new timing belt and tensioner....why at that mileage? If the front of the engine was hit what about the crank pulley and idlers?
    4. The intercooler looks crooked.
    5. Was it registered out of state to "Wash" the title? Clean or Salvage?
    6. Is the Ac condenser original pre accident? Does it work? How many fins are bent?
    7. Service history, recepits?
    8. Is there a diverter or bellow forcing air through the intercooler?
    9. Why is the tow hook cover black? too lazy to paint it too?

Personally, for that money with knowing what I do from pics alone I would pass.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbllfreek View Post
    Well you were right i called the guy after him claiming that it was a clean title the car has a salvage title it was hit is the front as you suspected and looks like i am ooking at getting another car... lol. thanks for the heads up. appreciate it.
    No problem. I repaired and painted cars in a former life.

Have no problem with people buying, or salvage cars in general as long as they are represented correctly by the seller. Unfortunately, in my travels I have found most people do not represent a salvaged car correctly. Most will do exactly what this seller did; price the car at salvage but not offer up that fact, highlight how "stock" it is other than all the crashed parts, and highlight the "low mileage" when most change the cluster out for an ebay one with lower mileage.

This dude, does not abide that ****.

Happy hunting.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast