Trying to buy a 2006 WRX. Need help. New to Subarus - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Trying to buy a 2006 WRX. Need help. New to Subarus within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; It also had a timing belt replacement done...which suggests the engine may have been a bit messed up as well ...

It also had a timing belt replacement done...which suggests the engine may have been a bit messed up as well due to the wreck.

But honestly...the thing is just ugly. I'd pass.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what about this one?

AutoTrader.com[SUB[IMPWRX[]][]]&listingId=340778656&listingIndex=2&Log=0

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbllfreek View Post
    what about this one?

Says "no longer for sale"
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    That's a lot of miles but, it looks like a much better base to start with. See if they have service history on it and if they will let you take it to an independent mechanic to have a compression/leak down test done.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I have more miles on my 05 STI...if it's taken care of, then it may not be a bad deal. Check out the service history and as Foxy above says, have an independent mechanic take a look.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    You're getting good advice from everyone else already and avoiding a lot of headache by asking first, but make sure to get me the vin number for any car you're seriously considering before you buy it so I can run a carfax for you. I also agree with everyone else that independent inspection is key, not your buddy, like a real shop. If anything isn't right it will help you negotiate a better price, and if not you have peace of mind.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    You're getting good advice from everyone else already and avoiding a lot of headache by asking first, but make sure to get me the vin number for any car you're seriously considering before you buy it so I can run a carfax for you. I also agree with everyone else that independent inspection is key, not your buddy, like a real shop. If anything isn't right it will help you negotiate a better price, and if not you have peace of mind.
    it already has a car fax if you guy want to look at it i am pretty sure it is in the link. if not i can try and get a picture or ill just get the vin number for you.

ps i am in the military so when my replies are at weird times that is why. =P

I Support ClubWRX
    Not bad for a Carfax. For that mileage it will need a timing belt service and possibly a clutch if those haven't been done yet. It could also use a 60k service.

If the dealer can provide a service record to see if that stuff was done I say go for it. If it wasn't done it could still be a good buy but, you're looking at like $3k in routine maintenance. (If done by someone else.)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    This one looks nice.

My questions would be:

1. Has it had the timing belt changed?
    2. Has the clutch been changed?

If the answer is no, those are two major services that will need to be done in the very near future. The timing belt immediately.

You can click the links in my sig to get an idea of what is involved, but you are looking at $1500 for the clutch and $1000 for the timing belt service.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

If the clutch is fine, why does it need to be changed?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    If the clutch is fine, why does it need to be changed?
    Is you taklin to me?

If so:

The clutch if it has not been changed it will most likely be needing changing at that mileage and undoubtedly be slipping in 3rd-5th at WOT. Factory clutches in the 06-07 usually lasted 70k-100k miles, with some going as quickly as 40k, and some lasting to 130k, but both extreme and rare cases. The clutch in the 06-07's starts to feel horrible when it gets close with the pressure plate giving up the ghost. While mine still "functioned" at 86k, and my buddy's 2007 still at 92k, both would slip and shudder at WOT 3rd-5th as the engine torque overcame the waning clamping force of the pressure plate. It doesn't feel like your typical "all my friction material is gone and my friction plates are too thin to work" slipping that most people are accustomed to. Matter of fact my friction material still had life on the side that wasn't being clamped adequately (pics in sig link).

Knowing whether or not the clutch has been changed, is key in use as a bargaining chip when trying to acquire a car. If it has not been changed, the seller benefits 2 ways with this nugget of info; 1. Since most people tend to spend the most they can comfortably afford when buying a car (on the purchase price alone), the prospective buyer will know that in the not so distant future a $1500 service will need to be performed so as not to be blind sided and require flat bed service. and 2. Knowing it has not been changed he can bargain a little on the price, or include it in the contract as part of the deal. Trouble free motoring is the name of the game.

* My money on this car is that the clutch has not been changed, probably feels horrible during operation, has light switch engagement, and the car is priced accordingly.
    * I'll also bet the car was driven rather extensively as a commuter by looking at the carfax.
    * I'm also betting the timing belt service has not been performed also reflecting in the price.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 02-26-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Yeah I was talkin to you...whatcha gonna do about it?

Makes sense, thanks for clearing that up...I'm guessing I was comparing mileage/clutch to my STI, which I assume are more durable and stronger.

At 125k, I have absolutely no signs of slipping in 3rd-5th. Still have solid engagement and a great pedal feel. No way in hell am I spending money to replace anything now based simply on mileage, until I need to...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast