looking at buying a 06 wrx acouple ?S
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on looking at buying a 06 wrx acouple ?S within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; i just recently got ride of a 05 volvo s40 t5 with the sport package, and now wanted to step ...

looking at buying a 06 wrx acouple ?S

i just recently got ride of a 05 volvo s40 t5 with the sport package, and now wanted to step up to a subie. i am lookin at a 2006 wrx or an 08 i really like the 06 looks over the 08 to me its true subaru but thats all just opinion ill go with the best option. my concerns is they both havve the same mile but the 06 looks like its been lowered and also has STI TOP MOUNT INTERCOOLER, UPGRADED DOWNPIPE, TURBO XS RFL BLOW-OFF VALVE! How much rougher is that on the engine having that on over a stock engine? they both have 100,000 miles im just wondering if that 06 is still goood to go or did those bolt ons hurt the life of the engiine i know these cars will run awhile my bro has one with 130k but he is stock no add ons so im wondering if that 06 is even a option or just go stock with the 08? would appriciate the responses

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All depends on how it was driven and if it was tuned correctly for the mods. Most people end up modding their WRXs and its never a problem, especially at basic Stage 2, which is what the 06 is currently at.

However, can you be certain it was tuned? A BOV is generally an unnecessary mod as well, especially if it is a vent-to-air. Plus, do you know how/what it was lowered with? Sounds to me like the 06 could just be a headache waiting to happen if you don't know anything about it. I'd pass.

Considering looking for a 2009 over the 2008 since they had a very nice bump in power that year.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

yea im really not sure if it was tuned this car is at a dealership both are and for the lowering the dealership doesnt even have that on there or mentioned it i just nknow its been messed with because the fender gap is to low for stock. and id like to get an 09 over 08 but finding one within my price range it difficult

I Support ClubWRX
    Essentially they have the same exact engine. If maintained properly, there is not a distinct advantage of one over the other. What should be of more consequence to you is this:

* Has either had the clutch replaced?
    * Has either had the timing belt serviced?

Both of those will need to be done in the very near future if it hasn't been done already.

On the clutch, a tell tale sign will be when you push the clutch in on either, it feels super super stiff and almost like you are crushing a cardboard box every time you push the pedal. The clutch pedal will lack the ease of use and springy-ness of a newer one. Also engagement when test driving. Does it feel nice and gradual, or like a light switch? Is it slipping in 3rd-5th at WOT?

The timing belt needs to be replaced at 105k miles per the manual.

If they "say" it has been done, require documentation.

If it has not been done, you can reference the links in my Sig for what is involved with either if you are a DIY guy. You can also use it as a bargaining chip to get either car cheaper.

-- A clutch replacement with new OEM flywheel at a Dealer is around $1400
    -- A timing belt with all the extras, (water pump, tensioner, idlers, hoses, belts coolant) is close to $1000.

Since the interior of the 08 is no great improvement over the 06 (I say downgrade) it really comes down to which you think looks the best and you can get a better deal on.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.