Thinking about buy a WRX as a daily...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Thinking about buy a WRX as a daily... within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hello all, this is my first time posting here. I am sure we all get tired of the intro threads ...

Thinking about buy a WRX as a daily...

Hello all, this is my first time posting here.

I am sure we all get tired of the intro threads but I thought I would make myself known. I was a longtime lurker on the forums trying to scramble up whatever information I can about the WRXs, but long story short I am in the market for a fun, spirited daily driver that's reliable and safe. I've got my mind set on an 06+ WRX but if I am able to find a clean 04-05 for a decent price, then I would not decline. Right now I've got two vehicles an 87' 4runner and 96' Cherokee 4x4. The cherokee is my daily right now and as much as I love (and hate) the car, I think it's coming to the point in its life where it just wants to sit and be toyed with on the weekends only lol. The 4runner runs great for a 26 yr old car and honestly has been a great little truck to me but I've got not no need for two off roading SUVS and plus the body/interior needs a bit of work.

Basically, I've looked @ Corollas/Civics (Si's too) and the lot and although both of those cars are safe, I'd like to have a fun daily. I know the early model WRXs had what they call glass trannies, but my brother owns an 03' WRX (stage 2) and it's got about 175k (w/ original tranny & clutch he says) miles on it now and aside from a little oil loss, and center diff issue the car has been relatively reliable to him, and he is not gentle with his cars. I am going to be checking out a few WRXs this week hopefully but I need to know specifically what to look for. If I do buy one, I will of course try to buy an unmolested, stock one. I am looking @ the 04-07 models in particular, so any input or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks dudes, look forward to joining you with more future posts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well if you can find a nice one they're great daily drivers. The 06+ had the bigger motor and the added torque makes them even better dailies, I'd prefer one of those even though I myself have an 02.

See the purchasing forum for how-to threads on buying and what to look for (common faults).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

If you're not very mechanically skilled (and even if you are) get any vehicle you're looking at buying checked out by a reputable shop. It'll cost you an hour or two (at most) of labor and can save you thousands.

Otherwise just check out the stickies in the Purchasing forum and then come back here and ask any questions you have.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

What those guys said, plus I would suggest posting up here any listings you are interested in. The experienced guys here often can quickly tell when a used car might be not worth the trouble.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Any reason why you aren't looking including bugeyes (02-03s) in your search? For the 2003 model year on, Subaru used stronger gears in the transmissions, but I believe much of the "glassbox" rumors came from new owners not used to AWD traction when the WRX first came to the US, and blew up the transmissions due to abuse. In two wheel drive cars, the drive wheels will typically break traction under sudden torque (dumping the clutch). While this does stress the gearbox, the quick loss of traction will allow the wheels to spin. AWD on the other hand is designed to hold traction at all costs. Dumping the clutch thus shocks the entire drivetrain with no easy outlet for the engine's torque. With that much strain, something has to give, and the transmission is usually the unfortunate casualty.

Definitely post picture of the cars you're looking at, if you can, especially the engine bays. A good resolution engine bay shot can usually reveal if the car has any mods or missing parts, which can be good clues to how the car was treated by previous owners.

Best of luck in your search!
    Last edited by Rambo; 02-18-2013 at 06:25 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Any reason why you aren't looking including bugeyes (02-03s) in your search? For the 2003 model year on, Subaru used stronger gears in the transmissions, but I believe much of the "glassbox" rumors came from new owners not used to AWD traction when the WRX first came to the US, and blew up the transmissions due to abuse. In two wheel drive cars, the drive wheels will typically break traction under sudden torque (dumping the clutch). While this does stress the gearbox, the quick loss of traction will allow the wheels to spin. AWD on the other hand is designed to hold traction at all costs. Dumping the clutch thus shocks the entire drivetrain with no easy outlet for the engine's torque. With that much strain, something has to give, and the transmission is usually the unfortunate casualty.

Definitely post picture of the cars you're looking at, if you can, especially the engine bays. A good resolution engine bay shot can usually reveal if the car has any mods or missing parts, which can be good clues to how the car was treated by previous owners.

Best of luck in your search!
    The local credit unions/banks are stringent about offering loans on cars 10 yrs or older. So unfortunately that knocks out the 02-03 Bugeyes since they are already at that age. I am not denying that if cared for the car will be fine, but the problem is...."if" cared for. I've got two local listings that I am looking at.

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Ltd - I've already emailed the person for this and she has a buyer pending. This car has been on sale off/on since October at least but I guess the dude who owns it is a military guy who was shipped overseas. Only thing that doesn't make sense is the radio missing but, otherwise car looks clean from pics. I emailed her to let me know if it falls through so I can check it out later this week.

$11,111 - 2006 Subaru WRX - I emailed this guy already asking him about the availability of the car but I have yet to hear back from him. It's a one owner.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.