school me on which to buy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on school me on which to buy. within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; i have had subarus before and turbo cars before(ls1's) but not wrx's so tell me why i should pay twice ...

school me on which to buy.

i have had subarus before and turbo cars before(ls1's) but not wrx's so tell me why i should pay twice as much for a 06 wagon than an 03 4door. i am looking for a all year daily driver that i can fiddle with while i turbo my silverado. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

2003 is 3 years older than the 2006.
    2006 has a 2.5 liter motor vs 2.0.
    2006/2007(Hawkeyes) wagons aren't that common.
    Hawkeyes tend to be more desirable.
    If I were a Hawkeye wagon owner I would NOT part with it.

so is $9800 for a 110k manual a good price?

I Support ClubWRX
    What are the compression/leakdown results of both motors?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

no test given on either but the 2003 bugeye has a misfire on 3 and i think i can get it on the cheap. the 06 is at a mom and pop dealer.

Both sound way too sketchy for me. Reasons:
    Misfire could mean anything from bad sparkplugs(cheap) to cracked ringlands(not cheap)
    Mom and pop, They don't know what their selling most of the time.

But if those 2 were the only options, just wait they'll be more. I'd go with the mom and pop and I'd bring my mechanic with me to test the car out, VERY thoroughly.

I'll add that if either car has modifications, if it were me, I would walk away.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

here is why i ask. i am the mechanic however everybody can miss some thing. for example in the past 20 years of buying and building cars i have had a grand national have a meth pump failure and drop the crank : 10 days after i bought it ,20k on the freshly built motor. my silverado i bought from a realtor who owned his own outfit but he failed to mention the castech head that would leak cylinder pressure into the coolant , but the water pump leaked and would release the pressure out the snout. so i fixed the water pump and all hell broke lose. now i had scanned this truck with gm tuning software(hp tuners) and went through this truck with a fine tooth comb. so i know it's possible to miss something. now i have a half dozen luck stories on how i paid less only to find out two plug wires were switched. so my next question is what is a super high mileage bugeye worth worse case scenereo? there is no mod other than suspension stuff. i think it was a track day car. i am going to look at it tomorrow. keep in mind i live in the middle of the salt belt. thanks for making a new member feel welcome.

went and looked at the bugeye today. 197k and it looked physically good. needed rotors and pads. all stock except for coilover conversion /tophats. origional owner and clutch. misfire only occurred at idle and it pulled really well. i unplugged the maf and the idle smoothed up. turbo smoked like mad as did the exhaust. i will search but what is the sympton of a bad compressor seal in these?

this thread will turn into what you get for 4300 bucks. i bought the bugeye . and i will keep you guys posted on what arises with a 200k mi. car. thanks

guess i should have heeded some of your advice, however i don't think i will be at a total loss. turns out i have 30 psi in cyl 4. i will find out if the compression is leaving out its intake exhaust or rings. funny thing is that it goes down the road pretty well. no stumbles just a rough idle.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyredneck
    guess i should have heeded some of your advice, however i don't think i will be at a total loss. turns out i have 30 psi in cyl 4. i will find out if the compression is leaving out its intake exhaust or rings. funny thing is that it goes down the road pretty well. no stumbles just a rough idle.
    Sorry to hear
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Same, I have a bugeye I picked up for 4gs. Has around 150k on it.

this engine will be swinging from the hoist by march.

if any one is listening it appears to be leaking compression out of the exhaust valve. but i don't know once i fix that if the bore is compromised. maybe some kind of block off plate to check ring seal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast