Is a WRX right for me?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is a WRX right for me? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Being a poor college student with a passion for driving is a frustrating situation when it comes to choosing a ...

Is a WRX right for me?

Being a poor college student with a passion for driving is a frustrating situation when it comes to choosing a new car. There are many cars on the road I would love to use as a daily driver but my choices are drastically limited once I consider fuel efficiency, insurance rates and dependability. Now, after months of research, I feel as if a 2006-07 WRX might be the perfect car for me. All things considered, it looks like the best compromise between frugality and fun I can find. Can anyone else here offer any thoughts? Maybe other cars to consider?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You might consider a base model impreza (2.5i). I had one in college and found it to be quite sporty and also handled well in all conditions. The insurance would be much cheaper, and by the time you graduate college you will be ready for a WRX. Although you can find good deals on them, you run the risk that it has been beaten/modded, and it will cost you an arm and a leg to get it into good running shape and to maintain. Insurance for a college student (especially if you are a dude?) for a WRX will be very expensive. Just my two cents.

I don't want to discourage you, as I would have loved a WRX in college, but I am just speaking from experience. Good luck with your car decision and school!

If you're a broke college kid I wouldn't recommend it. Gas and insurance will kill you. Maybe an SI?

I Support ClubWRX
    Graduate college, then buy the fun car. Your money should be going towards beer, parties, dates, bars, lawyer fees; not a car.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Civic are great cars. You can find them cheap, they are reliable, get great mileage, not heavy on insurance, and you can mod them if you want. I drove a 98 Civic SE hatch (with a 5 speed) for a couple years while I was broke as **** and have no regrets. It was one of the most fun cars I've ever had and really gave me the love for the hatches I have now. Not fast by any means, but it FELT fast, and since it had no power steering it felt much more connected to the road than any other car I've driven.
    A car doesn't need to be fast to be fun...
    Also, a slower car can also be a lot more fun when it comes to flying below the radar. Ask Roh Roh about that one.
    Last edited by STI*NG; 02-07-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Re: Is a WRX right for me?

I'm a college student with a WRX. Paying for it myself. And I'm hungry.

Posted from a fone.

meh if you think you can handle it go for it, if not resell or trade in and get something else. theres going to be maintenance on every car and just for me the insurance rate is alittle steeper than my older cars but i dont mind. Same with gas i get about 23 mpg but use 93 so theres some money gone there. I bought mine in college and happy with purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Graduate college, then buy the fun car. Your money should be going towards beer, parties, dates, bars, lawyer fees; not a car.
    dont forget water ballons for dropping off balconies!

06+ civic si is what id recommend. cheap, fun, economical, reliable, not blazingly fast but so much fun to drive you wont even notice.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Reading your first 5 words tells me no.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Another Dobus

Get a Mustang GT.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    meh if you think you can handle it go for it, if not resell or trade in and get something else. theres going to be maintenance on every car and just for me the insurance rate is alittle steeper than my older cars but i dont mind. Same with gas i get about 23 mpg but use 93 so theres some money gone there. I bought mine in college and happy with purchase.
    Love this post! ^
    I drive mine in the city mostly and get about 17-18 (currently sitting at 15.9 bleh), but I'm also a little heavy footed. Sure there is always have some sort of maintenance, but the difference in cost of parts for the Subie and a Civic is pretty substantial as well, even more so if you can't do the work yourself.
    I had an 83 Capri RS with a 5.0 during my college time and that was a fun car. Pretty fast for the time, but I also had a 85 Kawasaki GPZ 750 when I wanted to go really fast.
    Get a bike for the maximum amount of $$$ to fun to performance ratio or learn how the many ways to prepare Raman noodles and buy a WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Get a Mustang GT.
    +1 I love the Stang! As long as you get a GT with a 5 speed, any year is a guaranteed good time.

Re: Is a WRX right for me?

I don't really see myself ever driving another Civic. My Dad bought one when I turned 16 for me to drive and the only positive remark I have towards that car is how dependable the engine was (ONLY the engine). Another attribute that drew me towards a WRX was the great community of drivers like you guys. This cannot be said about the Civic SI (exceptions noted). I have no intention of coming across as just another rice racer d*****bag that needs to prove that his p.o.s. is faster than the other 300 civics on campus. Yet again, there are of course many exceptions so don't get all hurt if that is your ride but that is the general assumption I have observed. At least in East Tennessee.

Being a mechanical engineering student I am looking to support a company that doesn't cut too many corners in the design of their cars. Subaru could have more easily released a FWD, NA, four cylinder sports compact like many other car manufacturers do but they didn't. They made a fun, inexpensive, safe, dependable car.

A friend of mine recently purchased a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3. The car is a blast to drive, reasonable priced, and is well made. I'm not necessarily looking for something THAT powerful but I do respect that car. The only negative comment he has made is that it is FWD. Is it wise to take his advice and avoid that or take the compromise and save a little on gas and repairs?

mazadaspeed 3s are nice cars. if you want an even sweeter mazda get a miata. Youll be able to pick up chicks in your convertible....and maybe even some dudes. I had a civic for my second car and it was a civic lol. nothing special about it just a fun little car that was good on gas.

Question- If you got a WRX what would your first mods be?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast