Is a WRX right for me? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is a WRX right for me? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Originally Posted by Dobus Being a mechanical engineering student I am looking to support a company that doesn't cut too ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dobus View Post
    Being a mechanical engineering student I am looking to support a company that doesn't cut too many corners in the design of their cars.
    Am I the only one that finds this funny?

I get what you're saying though

If you can afford it, go for it...no reason not to really. But keep in mind, I do not believe it is worth it to spend all your time and money just to have a car in college. As someone above said...you should worry about chasing ass and getting your booze on. That and education of course. A Subaru won't help you get chicks
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Is a WRX right for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Reading your first 5 words tells me no.
    Poor being relative, advice based on just the first 5 words isn't a great deal of help. I am considering the WRX because it is within my means, albeit just barely so. I am aware of the increase in insurance, though not the specific amount. I am aware of the higher octane fuel required. I am aware of the cost of maintenance compared to simpler cars (eg Civic SI). And I'm aware of the difficulty of finding one that hasn't been f***ed with. All of these things considered, though, I can't seem to find a superior car for the money.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If it's not going to strap you, there's really no reason not to do it. It is a fun car and can be fairly practical too.
    My 5 door is the family truckster.

Bewbus read my commnet on first page and answer my question please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Am I the only one that finds this funny?

I get what you're saying though

If you can afford it, go for it...no reason not to really. But keep in mind, I do not believe it is worth it to spend all your time and money just to have a car in college. As someone above said...you should worry about chasing ass and getting your booze on. That and education of course. A Subaru won't help you get chicks
    I see why you think that might be humorous, I think. Engineers design products, keeping in mind the cost of production and making decisions accordingly. A lot of times this means cutting corners in the design to increase profit per unit sold. But I would never BUY a product with this same mentality.

And my goal for this car is not to score some tail, even if that is a side effect of owning a sexy car. I'm wanting to take my car to some autocross events with friends and have some fun but at the same time have a reasonable daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    mazadaspeed 3s are nice cars. if you want an even sweeter mazda get a miata. Youll be able to pick up chicks in your convertible....and maybe even some dudes. I had a civic for my second car and it was a civic lol. nothing special about it just a fun little car that was good on gas.

Question- If you got a WRX what would your first mods be?
    Now THAT is some good advice! Miata just doesn't fit my lifestyle though. I need space to haul climbing and camping gear so a compact sedan or larger is imperative.

As for your question. Probably just aesthetic until I drove it for some time and learned to appreciate it stock. Then once I have time to put some work into it I'd like to take it to stage 2.

I was in college in 07. I bought a 04 wrx my freshman year, also had a multitude of swapped civics and a 02 mustang gt before the wrx. Ive worked full time since i was 15, and love saving my money.

For me, I'd saved the money, and had low enough expenses that i could do it comfortably.

And i never really got into tapping college ass and drinking. I'm a personal trainer, so i was too busy tapping lonely cougars.

Just imo, if you've got the resources, do it. If not, save till you can.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

As for your question. Probably just aesthetic until I drove it for some time and learned to appreciate it stock. Then once I have time to put some work into it I'd like to take it to stage 2.

Not bad..if you said BOV, intake or turbo timer, coilovers or airbags i wouldve told you to get a VW. But so far ya dont seem like an idiot so i think youll be happy with a WRX. If buying used there are good threads full of info on what to look for when buying. Goodluck!

I am not laughing (right now) and I can see through to your viewpoint. You can have one car. You want it to be able to do certain things. This car will do those things. The money is tight. You can look at older models, 02-03 STi and consider solving their problems, which will cost the same as a solved 06-07 WRX. The problems on the newer car are smaller and fewer, but the car will cost more. You basically are considering whether you want to join a cult. Everyone who doesn't own a Subaru but wants one has no idea what they are about. People who don't have a Subaru and don't know what they are about either idolize them as race cars or think they are indestructible. They are as expensive to race as any other car. They are as breakable as any other car. They are designed to be able to be raced in nasty conditions, but that doesn't mean when you buy one you are getting a race-ready car. You are definitely not. It is safe, fun, reliable when cared for, and can be economical. Not compared to a Civic.
    real quick?
    It's AWD, optionally turbocharged, 4 wheel disc," iron car is heavy ". Boxer engine at any displacement is powerful and strong, but not a gasoline saver, turbo makes that worse, together making "not an economy car" the first calculated result I get. You can go as fast a lot cheaper.

It sounds like you want a WRX. Buy one. If you hate it, sell it. You will love it til you go broke. That's my bet.

Also, beyond a weekend race a few times each Summer, be ready to own a $100,000+ car if you are competitive. Cusco quit at $350k on their 07 STi to begin work on a 2010 Sti, that car caved. So it depends what you see as "best" on a lot of levels.

If I were you, I'd get a GC8 or an RS and go to town modding it. Learn the hard way, read a lot. Spend wisely. Build it an intrinsic value created from wise choices in the build. Then sell it for real money and buy a demonic NEW STi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoebeusFenix View Post
    And i never really got into tapping college ass and drinking. I'm a personal trainer, so i was too busy tapping lonely cougars.
    Cougars are attainable for much longer than college chicks...Bad call.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Cougars are attainable for much longer than college chicks...Bad call.
    Haha this may be true. Although I'm still 24, and owning a training studio in a college town had netted me much of that college ass.

Sorry, off topic.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

All I had to own was a 30 pack of Keystone...and that netted me much of that college ass too
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    I see why you think that might be humorous, I think. Engineers design products, keeping in mind the cost of production and making decisions accordingly. A lot of times this means cutting corners in the design to increase profit per unit sold. But I would never BUY a product with this same mentality
    I'm an ME, as well, and have worked in and around manufacturing environments for over 20 years. Sadly, the ideal that you're looking for doesn't exist in its pure form, at least not in mass-produced cars. There are always corners that have to be cut to make something manufacturable at a profit.
    I think I get the gist of what you're saying, though. Subaru does tend to put good money where it counts, namely, the drivetrain, suspension, safety, and chassis. (all just my opinion) They certainly cut some corners in interiors, compared to some other similarly priced cars, and in other areas, as well.

Welcome to the forum!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I would probably put having a luxurious interior at the very bottom of my list of priorities so I'm glad Subaru thinks the same way. The problem for me, though, even if I can afford the car in question, is how hard they are to find. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about finding a 2006-07 WRX wagon? It seems like everyone that owns one doesn't want to sell it. I suppose that's a good sign as to the quality of the car though

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    A Subaru won't help you get chicks
    now you tell me... where was this post a month ago

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.