I NEED TIPS FOR BUYING A WRX- PLEASE HELP- WOULD BE APPRECIATED

This is a discussion on I NEED TIPS FOR BUYING A WRX- PLEASE HELP- WOULD BE APPRECIATED within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I am currently looking into purchasing my first vehicle. I am looking at a 2002 Subaru WRX with only 71,000 ...

I am currently looking into purchasing my first vehicle. I am looking at a 2002 Subaru WRX with only 71,000 KMS.
    Here's the ad:

Looking to sell or trade my Subaru wrx as I am looking to pick up a truck
    Car runs and drives amazing with lots of new parts put on in the last few months

-Gates racing timing belt and water pump kit with all tensioners and rollers
    -Cosmetic head gaskets with arp head studs
    -Cylinder heads were decked and hot tanked
    -Exedy stage 2 6 puck clutch with light weight flywheel
    -Hks downpipe
    -K&N drop in air filter
    -Autometer boost gauge and pod
    -winter tires on car, also comes with summers
    -hid's 8k headlights and fogs
    -Hks ssq bov
    -lowered on H&R springs

He is looking for 10,000$ for the WRX.
    I have a ford taurus I'm looking to sell (approximate value 1500-2500$) and he has agreed he would take it and 8500$ cash for the WRX. I'm not sure how good of a deal that really is but I think it would be a good one because of the limited KMS.

Okay so please bare with me and help me understand what most of that meant! I am a huge noobie to cars so anything would help!

I've asked the owner various questions:

Me:Any upgrades done to the car? (If so could you list)
    Are you the original owner? (If not, how many owners were prior to you?)
    What's the reason for the sale?
    And is this the original motor or was it swapped? (If so, how many Kms are on the body?)
    Owner: Mods are listed in the add. I'm not sure how many owners before me I think 3. Original motor. I'm looking to buy either a truck or a honda for now and save until I have enough for the truck I want. I could work with you abit on the price as well.

Meid you purchase it bone stock from the previous owner or what?
    Owner: It had a few things already on it, I did more maintenance then up grades

Me: The car has 72,000 KMS not MILES correct?
    Has the car ever been in a collision?
    The car is not a conversion right?
    Owner:Not a conversion, it's km it has a u.s cluster. Old cluster broke all the previous owner could find was a us one- no accidents

I've gotten various pictures which I will include

I have no idea what he means by a US conversion ?? (I'm from Canada btw)

I am thinking this could be a good deal because I've read the wrx is cheaper than the impreza wrx on insurance
    Also because this is my first vehicle I'm not wanting to go all out- just happened to stumble across this car and thought it would be an amazing daily driver for someone like myself

If you can swing some knowledge my way it would be incredibly appreciated
    If you have any other questions you think I should ask the owner PLEASE don't hesitate to mention them to me and I can give you all his response

All help would be appreciated!!!

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

This is not the ideal first WRX. See the how to buy threads in the purchasing forum. Meanwhile keep looking.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    This is not the ideal first WRX. See the how to buy threads in the purchasing forum. Meanwhile keep looking.
    what exactly makes you say that?

I Support ClubWRX
    In my opinion, it's not a good first car unless you have a lot more money to throw at it and another car to drive as a backup. If the cluster has been switched then the true mileage is unknown, period... Send me the vin and I will check out the carfax for you to see what the real history is. Also it has a lot of mods and the motor has been apart 2 owners ago so who really knows whats really in there. The H&R springs are gonna ride like **** and blow your struts if they're not already blown, the BOV is useless, and the lighweight flywheel and 6 puck clutch are going to make it an annoying daily driver. Take your time and find the right car, this aint it.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	111577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	111578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrx.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	111579

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    In my opinion, it's not a good first car unless you have a lot more money to throw at it and another car to drive as a backup. If the cluster has been switched then the true mileage is unknown, period... Send me the vin and I will check out the carfax for you to see what the real history is. Also it has a lot of mods and the motor has been apart 2 owners ago so who really knows whats really in there. The H&R springs are gonna ride like **** and blow your struts if they're not already blown, the BOV is useless, and the lighweight flywheel and 6 puck clutch are going to make it an annoying daily driver. Take your time and find the right car, this aint it.
    okay i appreciate all the advice. what exactly does he mean by the cluster being replaced?

ill try and figure out the vin and let you know

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by ehbrett View Post
    what exactly makes you say that?
    The info you provided.

Read the how to buy threads.

Also, follow the link in my signature.

A few hours will save you a lot of money and frustration. I'd read first.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Me: The car has 72,000 KMS not MILES correct?
    Has the car ever been in a collision?
    The car is not a conversion right?
    Owner:Not a conversion, it's km it has a u.s cluster. Old cluster broke all the previous owner could find was a us one- no accidents
    This is what I mean by the cluster was replaced...

This is what I mean by the cluster was replaced...
    but what exactly IS a cluster?
    sorry for my lack of knowledge

I Support ClubWRX

The instruments that the driver views inside the car. The odometer is among them.

I Support ClubWRX
    lol, the guage cluster, like the speedometer and odometer and whatnot. No offense but if you don't know what a gauge cluster is you probably should not be buying any car that is extensively modified. Not busting on you, we all have to start somewhere, I'm just saying that to own a car like the one you're considering mechanical knowledge will be invaluable.

Gauge cluster. You know...where the Speedometer, Odometer, and Tachymeter is.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

lol, the guage cluster, like the speedometer and odometer and whatnot. No offense but if you don't know what a gauge cluster is you probably should not be buying any car that is extensively modified. Not busting on you, we all have to start somewhere, I'm just saying that to own a car like the one you're considering mechanical knowledge will be invaluable.
    To be completely honest with you i figured this car was the farthest thing from "extensively modified". I was just looking for a good quality subaru thats relatively stock, with low kms that over time i can work on and get a knowledge of. Apparently this is the farthest thing from that.

thank you everyone for all your help, it is very appreciated