ADVICE NEEDED: 02 WRX Wagon... buy or no buy?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ADVICE NEEDED: 02 WRX Wagon... buy or no buy? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I am thinking about buying a 02 Impreza WRX with 141K on it and would LOVE some advice on the ...

ADVICE NEEDED: 02 WRX Wagon... buy or no buy?

I am thinking about buying a 02 Impreza WRX with 141K on it and would LOVE some advice on the matter as this will be my first WRX. It is stock with no mods and was listed for $6500 but I have talked him down (after a bit of talking) to $4750 which I know is an AMAZING DEAL for this car (if it's as good a car as I think it is).

The carfax is clean, 4th owner and he has owned it for 2 years now and only put 10K on it.
    He lives in VA (Salt-Belt) and the car has been in VA its whole life.
    He has given me a list of maintenance done to the car since he has had it:

Hatch latch recall
    Replaced vacuum hoses
    Lower control arm recall
    Cleaned out MAF
    New R/f bellows boot
    New r/f drive axel
    Cam shaft belt
    new drive betls
    Power steering flush
    new plugs
    new cabin filter
    new water pump
    new ignition coils
    a/c service
    latest safety inspection
    Replaced clutch and flywheel
    Replaced coils
    A/C serice

He said this to me as well: "I'm 25 (I got my young and dumb driving out of the way with my old Neon).
    I've owned the car for a little over two years.
    Timing belt was done just before I bought the car - I'd need to look it up, but I think I've only put on ~10,000 miles on the car.
    Tires were brand new when I bought it, still have plenty of tread.
    Transmission is in good shape. Replaced the clutch about 5000 miles ago.
    No major issues other than my clutch going out and having to replace some coil packs.
    Just replaced the front O2 sensor last week and past safety with no issues. Emissions (it will definitely pass) is due this month as well as my tags, but I would really like to sell before that as I don't want to pay a one year renewal when I'll only be in the state for another month."

The car still has a lean on it from his bank for $4000. We are going to meet at his bank where we will use the money I am paying for the car to pay off the remaining debt and then sign over the title.

I had the car checked out by a subaru shop and the mechanic told me that two of the wheels were a bit bent and would need replacing eventually but that it barely caused a wobble in the car. He said that the right front axel cover had a small hole in it and would need to be replaced. He said that the engine was moist with oil so the valve seals etc. might be slightly leaking but that it was not wet and looked like it was in good shape. Other then that he said the rest of the car was great. A little knock to the pistons but normal for a WRX. Said the transmission and clutch felt great and that the rest of the car was in great shape. He told me that he wanted to buy it... hahaha.

Anyway just thought I would get some advice on anything you think I should ask or check out before I go through with the deal.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh and I am going to spend 7 hours driving there to see it on Monday... so the more advice I can get before I go the better! Please share!

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.