Should I Buy - 2006 WRX 61000 miles salvaged title
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Should I Buy - 2006 WRX 61000 miles salvaged title within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey all- I am new to this forum, new to serious car purchasing (my 2 vehicles total about 00~), and ...

Should I Buy - 2006 WRX 61000 miles salvaged title

Hey all-

I am new to this forum, new to serious car purchasing (my 2 vehicles total about $3500~), and new to WRXs. I am a Vermonter and as such have always been a WRX fan, now I feel I may be in a place to buy one but only the right deal. Having said that, I found this deal on craigslist:

Subaru WRX -2006

I know all you enthusiasts probably hate Auto, but I've never owned a 5spd nor have I driven one since driver's ed 9 years ago.

Anyways I am mostly concerned about the salvaged title and "light front end damage". I did some reading online and sometimes this can mean it actually had serious damage that totaled the car, or it could have had actual light damage but the airbags deployed and the interior was damaged from that to total the car. I am going to go check it out today after work and try to get the story behind that. I will also take it to a garage to get it checked over if I like what I see.

Anyone have any good/bad stories about titled cars or advice? Depending on how things check out I am thinking of offering $11,500-12,500

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I wouldn't touch anything with a salvaged title.

Quote Originally Posted by PalisadesWBL View Post
    I wouldn't touch anything with a salvaged title.
    Care to explain? Is it fear of buying a lemon? Re-sale worries?

Quote Originally Posted by eddysamson View Post
    Care to explain? Is it fear of buying a lemon? Re-sale worries?
    Both. You'll never know how hard the impact was. How/who/where all the work was done.

If it truly had only "light front end damage" then it wouldn't have a salvage title. Normal rule for a vehicle to get a salvage title is it has to have at least 70% of its value in damages. Given the year and mileage of the vehicle, you're talking about an accident that was probably in the $15k+ damage range. That is not light damage. For that reason alone that the seller is blatantly lying, I would stay away.

Aside from that, buying a salvage vehicle is always a crap shoot. You may get lucky and it'll work fine, or you may get a car that has never ending issues. Given your limited car history, and I'm assuming lack of car knowledge and wrenching skills, this is not a vehicle you should consider buying.

With respect to it being an auto versus manual, do yourself a favor and stick to looking for a manual. It's very easy to learn how to drive one, they're much more satisfying to drive (especially in a performance car like a WRX), you get better gas mileage, and they provide better control in winter conditions which is important for anybody living in an area like Vermont. So get past your fear of driving/learning and buy one. Within one day in a parking lot you'll be able to learn to drive one well enough to get on the roads, and if you take both weekend days to practice you'll be in excellent shape.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

unless using it as a track car i wouldnt use it. and the ad says "pictures of not actual car"...id wait on something else.

I bet the seller also wants you to send the payment via a wire transfer and he will then ship the car to you at no cost. What a nice guy...

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    If it truly had only "light front end damage" then it wouldn't have a salvage title. Normal rule for a vehicle to get a salvage title is it has to have at least 70% of its value in damages. Given the year and mileage of the vehicle, you're talking about an accident that was probably in the $15k+ damage range. That is not light damage. For that reason alone that the seller is blatantly lying, I would stay away.

Aside from that, buying a salvage vehicle is always a crap shoot. You may get lucky and it'll work fine, or you may get a car that has never ending issues. Given your limited car history, and I'm assuming lack of car knowledge and wrenching skills, this is not a vehicle you should consider buying.

With respect to it being an auto versus manual, do yourself a favor and stick to looking for a manual. It's very easy to learn how to drive one, they're much more satisfying to drive (especially in a performance car like a WRX), you get better gas mileage, and they provide better control in winter conditions which is important for anybody living in an area like Vermont. So get past your fear of driving/learning and buy one. Within one day in a parking lot you'll be able to learn to drive one well enough to get on the roads, and if you take both weekend days to practice you'll be in excellent shape.
    I totally agree, except for this "You may get lucky and it'll work fine.

Well after a resounding NO, I guess I shall move on. I'm going to cancel on going to see it so I dont get tempted by a story of theirs on the damage.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by eddysamson View Post
    Anyone have any good/bad stories about titled cars or advice? Depending on how things check out I am thinking of offering $11,500-12,500
    For that price you can get a higher mileaged 06 or an average mileaged 04/05 with clean titles

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    For that price you can get a higher mileaged 06 or an average mileaged 04/05 with clean titles
    Well I am trying to find something with low miles for my first serious car purchase. I was thinking I might not be able to pull off a WRX with low miles like I wanted until I saw that ad.

Hey guys I found another insane deal, this time from a dealership. It seems sketchy, though, and you will see why.

Stats-

2004 WRX sedan
    60000 miles
    5 spd
    price: $6995

I called and got the story behind it. They said with cars "this old" (2004 is "that" old?) we usually sell at wholesale value and send them off to auction if they don't sell before too long. He said it has a clean title, never been in an accident (or had one reported anyways...), and was from an older lady who bought it at the same dealership, kept it in good condition, and sold it back later.

Like the other one it seems too good to be true, what do you guys think?

this one is def worth a look at least. thats about the proper price for an 04, but the milage is SUPER low, so dont go there with a hard on ready to buy, go there with a microscope.

I'm also looking for salvage Subaru now and I checked many cars and know approximately how much they should cost. I can say that $11,500-12,500 is too much for this car, I've seen 2006 wrx sold at easyexport.us which is an auction with rebuildable cars for sale and it was much cheaper. The mileage was higher though as far as I remember.

I had a salvage title car, got it at auto auction with cheap mercedes benz for sale. One of the problems with salvage cars is to find someone who would buy it when you are done with it, it can take a long time because many people don't want to take risks and buy a salvaged title car. Apart from that, everything was fine, and I saved 80% off the retail value of the car.
    Last edited by Corebodzin; 05-23-2013 at 04:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast