What do you think I can get for my car as is?

This is a discussion on What do you think I can get for my car as is? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I have a 2003 WRX wagon with 135,000 miles. The body and interior are great and I put a bunch ...

What do you think I can get for my car as is?

I have a 2003 WRX wagon with 135,000 miles. The body and interior are great and I put a bunch of money into it since I got it with 117,000 miles.

The problem is that I may have a dead cylinder but I'm waiting for confirmation.

I did the timing belt right when I got it and did all the tune up stuff like, belts, plugs, brakes, fuel filter etc not too long ago.

I just spent $850 on a new radiator about 3 weeks ago too!

It has new struts all the way around and the tires still have plenty of life left on them.

If the motor needs major work I'm just going to sell it as is (So. California area) but don't know how much its worth. Its all stock too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrx6.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	109880

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The money spent is routine maintenance. You can't realistically expect any real ROI on that.

There are three major sites that give estimates to vehicle worth:
    KBB
    NADA
    Edmunds

KBB is a seller-biased site, while Edmunds is a buyer-biased site. Expect to settle around NADA, based on a true assessment of the vehicle condition. If the motor is toast, research what a decent used engine would cost, and deduct that from NADA price and expect to settle there. If I were you, list it according to KBB (minus motor cost, if applicable), and be willing to settle for NADA; that is, unless you can't afford to say GFY to low-ballers.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by wasisnt View Post
    I have a 2003 WRX wagon with 135,000 miles. The body and interior are great and I put a bunch of money into it since I got it with 117,000 miles.

The problem is that I may have a dead cylinder but I'm waiting for confirmation.

I did the timing belt right when I got it and did all the tune up stuff like, belts, plugs, brakes, fuel filter etc not too long ago.

It has new struts all the way around and the tires still have plenty of life left on them.

If the motor needs major work I'm just going to sell it as is (So. California area) but don't know how much its worth. Its all stock too.

Dang, that's a nice bug eye, and wagon to boot. Personally if you like the car, I think it would be worth it to put a used motor in it, or new/ reman short block. I think if your cars paid for which I assume it is you could still make out on the upside if you keep this car another five years and rol over 200k+ miles.

Nice car though
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

Quote Originally Posted by wasisnt View Post

Dang, that's a nice bug eye, and wagon to boot. Personally if you like the car, I think it would be worth it to put a used motor in it, or new/ reman short block. I think if your cars paid for which I assume it is you could still make out on the upside if you keep this car another five years and rol over 200k+ miles.

Nice car though
    Current vehicles:

The dealer wants $6700 for a remanufactured engine which is absurd. It turns out that there is 100% leakdown in one cyl, 80% in another and then 30 & 40%. I dont want to put any more money into this thing so its time for it to go.

Does $6700 include parts & labor? if so that seams like the way to go, otherwise move on. I would assume almost any car similar age, milage, in need of major engine work would be worth $1k-$3k max. A dealer would probably give you $500?? That's why I think it's a smarter move to fix/ repair it.
    Current vehicles:

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    Does $6700 include parts & labor? if so that seams like the way to go, otherwise move on. I would assume almost any car similar age, milage, in need of major engine work would be worth $1k-$3k max. A dealer would probably give you $500?? That's why I think it's a smarter move to fix/ repair it.
    It does include parts and labor. The KBB value for the thing running is $7500 private party so its almost like I'm buying my own car if I did that. Its not worth the money to me to fix it just to wait for the next problem, especially for a remanufactured engine. I already have some interested people so I think I will be able to get rid of it pretty quick. Its my secondary car and I only bought it for the snow when I lived in WA which doesn't apply now that I'm back in CA