I just need some general information.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I just need some general information. within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I'm 16 and was thinking about buying a Subaru Impreza WRX, but I don't know anything about the car except ...

I'm 16 and was thinking about buying a Subaru Impreza WRX, but I don't know anything about the car except it looks nice. I just have a few questions. Are they reliable cars? Do they break down a lot? What are some common problems? I was also looking at the WRX and the STI and saw that they have a huge horsepower difference. Should I buy a WRX or save up for a STI? Because the STI is a heck of a lot more money. Anything I should know about the cars before I buy them? If you could answer these, it would be great. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly - at 16... I'd run away personally. They aren't cheap to maintain or run. Kinda eat up gas, parts aren't cheap, insurance is (extremely) high compared to other cars, and they tend to be a money hole for modifications down the road.

That being said, they are good cars. If you have mechanical abilities, you'll be able to do most of the maintenance yourself. If you care for the car, it'll do you well.

I personally would have killed myself if I had either a WRX or STi at 16 =P. I wouldn't have been in a situation to buy one, however.

Again - dunno about your personal situation, but I'd hold off for a few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I agree with the above.

Maybe start off with a base impreza and with a few years of experience move up to a wrx

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

not a good first car PERIOD. iNsurance is high, maintenance is not cheap.

I'm with Heide, only i would of killed (myself) if i had one at 16.
    Last edited by DiRty Impreza; 11-26-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rileyjwat22 View Post
    I'm 16 and was thinking about buying a Subaru Impreza WRX, but I don't know anything about the car except it looks nice.
    Follow the link in my signature for any and all information.

Are they reliable cars?
    Yes!

Do they break down a lot?
    Yes!

What are some common problems?
    Owners and elite tuners are the primary cause of failures as far as I can work out. There are other causes too though. In the "purchasing" forum there are several "how to buy" threads with problems listed. In the "maintenance" fora there are threads listing TSBs; these are acknowledged issues with factory procedures for remedies. Have a look at both.

Should I buy a WRX or save up for a STI?
    Save up for a factory new STi, paid in cash.

Meanwhile, consider a Honda or Toyota, stock, no modifications, and either new or bought from a non-enthusiast owner.

Anything I should know about the cars before I buy them?
    See above, and find those threads, they have all the info and more so it's very important you read them.

Also, frankly, the realisation that the Impreza is a very reliable car that breaks down a lot occurred to me today, in response to this thread, and for that I thank you. It's absolutely true -- our cars are very reliable and break down all the time. In that they may be unique. I feel we have ourselves to blame.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It's absolutely true -- our cars are very reliable and break down all the time. In that they may be unique. I feel we have ourselves to blame.
    This is going to be my new sig. Holy carp.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    This is going to be my new sig. Holy carp.
    It's a bit gutting to realise though, eh?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's a bit gutting to realise though, eh?
    I don't know...all I've done is oil/tire changes since August 2009, when my engine was built. I guess I'm on a lucky streak.

It doesn't stop it from being a great sig, though.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Op I'm 34 years old, married and no tickets or accidents and I could finance another WRX for 60 months alone on the monthly insurance for this car. Insurance for this kind of car for a male at 16 will be a sobering experience. Even one speeding ticket would have you selling the car as fast as possible.

Now that I've said that, as much as I would have loved to have a car like this when I was 16, I would have killed myself for sure.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

Insurance is high at 30...at 16 its going to be a nightmare.

In all honesty I think you should avoid a turbo charged car for your first vehicle ...get something you wouldn't mind wrapping around a tree for your first vehicle (as this is more likely than not)..

Also, unless you're tool savvy these can be quite a bit to keep up with. Are they reliable? Yes! As long as you stay up on them and know a thing or two about them. It's all about being preemptive with these and if you're not use to wrenching...I just wouldn't...

Learn to drive first. Get a simple 4cyl car with some good gas mileage, cause no doubt you're going to want to drive around as much as you can...you're gonna burn through gas.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    Op I'm 34 years old, married and no tickets or accidents and I could finance another WRX for 60 months alone on the monthly insurance for this car.
    Wow, really? It gets tricky comparing insurance rates, but at age 45, married, homeowners through the same company, multiple car, etc, I'm paying ~$40/month for full coverage. Of course, my car is also 10 years old. Maybe I'll hold onto it for a while.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Funny bunch of responses, most sum up into the "you are too young and inexperienced to own/afford/drive this car." You can tell this forum is loaded with experienced (meaning old) members who can look back with some objectivity and realize the larger truths of car ownership. My guess is the OP is sure he is a great driver who would have no problems handling the performance of a car like this. The money and reliability will be a concern, though, regardless.

I am thankful I started out in a 4 cyl Chevy Chevette. It was a RWD manual that allowed me to learn how to drive without killing myself. If I had had anything with real power who knows how long I would have lasted. I drove that car hard and with great fury, but it was basic enough to keep me from being able to go too far over the edges.

To the OP - these are great cars, reliable if you treat it well, and solid investments. But you will be killed by your insurers before you get a ticket, and god help you if you get one. Mileage is lousy, and repairs aren't cheap once out of warranty. If you get one, learn to actually drive the car - and respect the danger that performance cars present to every driver who fails to drive them with their heads instead of their gonads.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Well, I have a 94 ford thunderbird right now and its slow as crap. I don't have any money, but I've always wanted a Subaru. I'm just trying to plan ahead and see what car I should buy later on. If you have any suggestions on what car, let me know. Thank you guys for the advice.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rileyjwat22 View Post
    Well, I have a 94 ford thunderbird right now and its slow as crap. I don't have any money, but I've always wanted a Subaru. I'm just trying to plan ahead and see what car I should buy later on. If you have any suggestions on what car, let me know. Thank you guys for the advice.

Save up for a factory new STi, paid in cash.

Meanwhile, consider a Honda or Toyota, stock, no modifications, and either new or bought from a non-enthusiast owner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast