I'm looking into getting a WRX, and looking for your advice
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on I'm looking into getting a WRX, and looking for your advice within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hello everyone! This is my first post on this site, and my first day here. To keep things as short ...

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this site, and my first day here. To keep things as short as possible I am looking into getting a WRX and would love if you would all answer a few questions for me. I would love it if everyone who reads this would just answer these questions for me. explain as little or much as you wish, i'm interested in as much input as possible. Thanks!

1) What is your favorite thing about your WRX?

2) What is your least favorite? or What is the biggest drawback to driving a WRX?

3) Have you ever been stuck in your WRX? What were the conditions (mud, snow, ice, ground clearance)?

4) Would you buy new or used?

5) How is the ergonimics of the vehicle? Is it intuitive? frustrating? comfortable?

6) Would/do you drive your WRX long distances?

7) Other comments/advice?

P.S. now that i have written them out i'm thinking this sounds like some weird consumer-reports-marketing-department questionarre, but i promise its just a weird science guy figuring out which car to get. Haha.
    - David
    Tulsa, OK
    - '69 Chevy C-10 (HS project with dad - still have it)
    - '14 2.5L WRX Hatchback WRB aka "Sonic"
    "If you can do something about it, then why worry; if you can't do anything about it, then why worry?" - Buddhist Philosophy

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    1) Community. I've made quite a few good friends through Subaru clubs, that I never would've met had I not showed an interest in the boards.
    2) Money spent. Initial purchase price, routine maintenance, and insurance is expensive enough, but being an enthusiast has you always tweaking and adding/replacing parts. That (along with what breaks because of added parts) adds up.
    3) Only time my car has been undrivable is when I sheared off a bolt in a caliper support bracket. I have to take better care of my driveway than I would if I had an SUV in winter time, due to the nature of a car having lower COG, but I didn't help the situation with the RCE Black springs I threw on.
    4) You can save money buying used, but you can also buy someone elses headache. If you can afford to buy new, that may save you some piece of mind. Your call. If you buy used, you want one that has been maintained properly and never modified (beware of pre-sale part outs).
    5) I have never had an issue with the interior of the car. You have to remember, this is a tweaked version of an entry-level economy vehicle, so you don't have the luxuries of other vehicles in a similar price range. Things look/feel cheap, there will be random squeaks and rattles, etc. Go in knowing what you're paying for, or else you'll end up disappointed.
    6) I've attended about a dozen meets that required driving 500+ miles in a day. I've driven to/from FL. I've never really had an issue with my car I wouldn't have had in any other vehicle.
    7) Know what you're buying with a WRX. You're paying for a more capable version of an economy vehicle. It will have a similar build quality to a $15K car, at a $25K+ price tag. It will have odd noises, it will have its quirks, but it will be a fun ride. If you're looking for a reasonably-priced vehicle that can put a stupid grin on your face when you get on the throttle, the WRX is a great option.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

The torque.

2) What is your least favorite? or What is the biggest drawback to driving a WRX?

The car handles like absolute dog****. The WRX and the STI are fat pigs that don't go around corners well.

3) Have you ever been stuck in your WRX? What were the conditions (mud, snow, ice, ground clearance)?

I don't drive my WRX in the snow, that's what my Forester is for.

If you are buying a 'used' but relatively new model of the WRX, you should probably have your head examined. No, I'm saying "don't buy used because every used WRX has been beat to ****", it's actually much simpler than that.

The WRX is a car that holds it's value better than almost any other car on the road today. To give an example, a 3 year old WRX with 50k miles is going for about $20k these days. That's only about $4k off of the retail value of a BRAND NEW car. Instead, be the guy that bought new, and is selling his three year old car for nearly what it cost new.

5) How is the ergonimics of the vehicle? Is it intuitive? frustrating? comfortable?

The car is comfortable and roomy. Keep in mind that the WRX and STI wheelbase grew almost 5 inches between the 02-07 and the 08-13 models. The 08-13 models are the size of the previous generation Legacy's. The WRX and STI are not small anymore, they are not compacts, again - they are fat pigs.

I travelled all over the country this year in the car. Travelled from Connecticut to Ohio, Delaware, Nebraska, Washington DC on seperate road trips. The WRX is an incredible highway cruiser. The ride is comfortable. This is largely due to the incredibly soft springs that Subaru put on the car, and the shocks they used, which I am convinced are takeoffs from a 1994 Buick Roadmaster.

What do you plan to use the car for? If you're looking for a highway cruiser that is functional in the snow, it's a great car.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GeOkie86 View Post
    i have to agree with matthew here. i've met a lot of wonderful people both in person as well as on the forums.

the seats & OEM speakers/headunit [but i fixed that within 1 week of ownership]

never

the newer the better

i personally dont find my seats to be very comfortable. i'm sure there are worse out there but i wouldve liked regular WRX seats or STi seats instead.

would i feel comfortable driving long distances? yes. would i want to? no. [only because my exhaust would give me a headache]

if you choose to buy a used one, make sure its up to date on its modifications and completely stock.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX

The car has taught me a lot about tuning and modding properly, and have met some great subbies drivers at local meets. Also is a blast for a DD

The drawback is the monthly payment/insurance

Nope never been stuck, but definatly invest in snow tires for the winter, the stock tires handle like poo in snow and cold weather

I bought brand new, if i had to do it again, idk how i would do it.

I think its comfortable

Ive driven the car 500 miles from Ohio to NC and had no problems at all and was comfortable the entire way

Watch out for the mod bug
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

1) Contrary to what a lot of other enthusiast say I really like the looks, for me the cars design cues backdate an era when car companies would give the enthusiast version of a car distinctive design language like side scoops, wider fenders a bulging hood and aggressive stance. I like that Subaru took a very mainstream econobox and made it somehow look like its doing 150 mph sitting still. Unlike any other car I've owned except my old '88 Porsche Carrera 3.2, this car looks so ticked off coming up from behind, people just move over.

2) There arnt many drawbacks, but what stands out the most is the soft springs and body roll, because of the power and aggressive looks the car makes you feel far more confident cornering than it really is capable of stock.

3) I don't need to or want to drive this car off-road for any reason. I have a 2011 Outback for those adventures. That said I have to take my driveway at an extreme angle to avoid scrapping my front bumper, I find I have to be just as cautious parking and pulling into parking lots and steep speed bumps. While the car isn't exactly slammed, I'm used to driving my truck and Outback which are higher up and don't require any thinking as far as approach and departure angled, same with driveways and parking blocks.

4) As crazy as it sounds, out here in Nor Cal, new WRX's are scarece, used ones go for equal a new or sometimes more. That said I only recommend buying the lowest milage and newest WRX you can find. I specifically bought an unmolested one that just came off the truck with 2 miles on the odometer. You can bet even new cars sitting on the lot with 40-80 miles have had extensive test-drives at redline. Like the other poster mentioned, wouldn't you rather be the guy who bought new and is selling in 3-5 years for roughly a $3-5k loss?

5) I find the WRX interior straight forward and very business like, but that is the biggest criticism from many people shopping the car. I like it because it is dirt simple with a very tactical feel. The seating position is perfect, and while the sport seats look more aggressive than they feel, they get the job done. I am not fatigued after even driving over an hour to the in-laws house for Thanksgiving. My favorite features of the interior are the huge center mounted tachometer and the red contrasting stitching on the steering wheel and fabric. I have owned very luxurious cars, had an '01 Mercedes SL500 were every square inch of the interior was adorned in Napa leather, I still appreciate the primitiveness of the spartan WRX cabin in the same way I like the basic, strictly business layout and function of an 80's Porsche 911.

6) Absolutely would not hesitate to drive my WRX on road trips or even cross country, I don't know what riding passenger is like, but from the driver seat you get the feeling this car was designed for you to enjoy any time and for any occation. I guess one other thing I would wish for is a 6th gear for better fuel economy.

7) Nothing else to add, I don't plan to add or change anything else on my car except window tint, all season floor mats, maybe the oem boost gauge if its DIY and better door speakers. I know lots of people hate the stock sound system, I'm not an audiophile so it's fine to me, surprisingly better sounding than the disappointing Harman Kardon sound in my Outback actually. I just want more clarity, not necessarily more bass volume or louder sound.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

Re: I'm looking into getting a WRX, and looking for your advice

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this site, and my first day here. To keep things as short as possible I am looking into getting a WRX and would love if you would all answer a few questions for me. I would love it if everyone who reads this would just answer these questions for me. explain as little or much as you wish, i'm interested in as much input as possible. Thanks!

P.S. now that i have written them out i'm thinking this sounds like some weird consumer-reports-marketing-department questionarre, but i promise its just a weird science guy figuring out which car to get. Haha.
    Keep in mind this is the 2005 model, shorter wheelbase than a Civic with a supposedly more "raw" feeling vs the newer cars.

1) Its a swiss army knife type of car. Does everything I throw at it and literally puts a stupid grin on my face.

2) In ascending, least order: 22MPG, higher insurance.

3) Nope, taken my wrx through snow and offroading... then again I don't do Jeep stuff.

4) I bought an unmolested used car... I'm still finding new molested bits today.

5) I'm short, lumbar support isn't the best for me but its not bad enough to the point of me not buying it ever again. But steering to shifter distance, shifter to radio is spot on.

6) Did it with a wagonful with my family. Its the family trip car.

7) Test drive one.

As a community, many of us are in the sci/tech field. The WRX naturally attracts nerds =P

Posted from a fone.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    1) Community. I've made quite a few good friends through Subaru clubs, that I never would've met had I not showed an interest in the boards.
    2) Money spent. Initial purchase price, routine maintenance, and insurance is expensive enough, but being an enthusiast has you always tweaking and adding/replacing parts. That (along with what breaks because of added parts) adds up.
    3) Only time my car has been undrivable is when I sheared off a bolt in a caliper support bracket. I have to take better care of my driveway than I would if I had an SUV in winter time, due to the nature of a car having lower COG, but I didn't help the situation with the RCE Black springs I threw on.
    4) You can save money buying used, but you can also buy someone elses headache. If you can afford to buy new, that may save you some piece of mind. Your call. If you buy used, you want one that has been maintained properly and never modified (beware of pre-sale part outs).
    5) I have never had an issue with the interior of the car. You have to remember, this is a tweaked version of an entry-level economy vehicle, so you don't have the luxuries of other vehicles in a similar price range. Things look/feel cheap, there will be random squeaks and rattles, etc. Go in knowing what you're paying for, or else you'll end up disappointed.
    6) I've attended about a dozen meets that required driving 500+ miles in a day. I've driven to/from FL. I've never really had an issue with my car I wouldn't have had in any other vehicle.
    7) Know what you're buying with a WRX. You're paying for a more capable version of an economy vehicle. It will have a similar build quality to a $15K car, at a $25K+ price tag. It will have odd noises, it will have its quirks, but it will be a fun ride. If you're looking for a reasonably-priced vehicle that can put a stupid grin on your face when you get on the throttle, the WRX is a great option.
    Thanks for the input! Your insight is greatly appreciated. I have always wanted a WRX since I sat in probably an 05 at State Fair Auto-show. And I have always more of a muscle/classic sort of guy. But I have to admit I like the newest 5 doors even more than I like the 05 now. It sounds like exactly the right vehicle for me. I think i'm probably leaning toward now something like buying the zero options 5 door new, waiting for it (i understand they are mostly special order unless you get lucky?), trading in the ranger. zero options because i'm sure there is some great aftermarket products that I could attain and install myself.

What are typical first few upgrades for this vehicle?
    I'm guessing Exhaust, Intake/intercooler, boost control, electronic engine mod kits?

I'm going to be basically living out of my car/ on the oil rigs as a mudlogger for the next year or so. Emplying 1. I'll be able to afford to make big payments most months, and 2. Lots and lots of dirt roads (fun), but mostly well groomed ones (they have to get the rigs, generators, trailor homes, etc to the well site) so that ground clearance shouldn't be an issue in a vast majority of the cases. Only worries are mud, ice, and snow all of which can be pretty miserable in OK... lol. But I feel like this car should have no problems with those conditions and have plenty of inside room for all my stuff while i'm traveling or in between rigs... Sorry i'm kind of just rambling, but i'm trying to think this all the way through.

Excellent warning about the build quality, that is a wise thing to point out.

IDK if you will know the answer to this, but if you have a boost controller, can you turn it all the way down - as in to 0.0 boost? Could you get better mileage on the highway doing this? It would be pretty awesome to just be able to dial up power whenever i needed it but not waste gas when not needed. Just a random question I guess... i'm a very curious person if you hadn't figured that out yet.

So I guess i came up with some more questions... Thanks for your time car bruh! lol.
    - David
    Tulsa, OK
    "If you can do something about it, then why worry; if you can't do anything about it, then why worry?" - Buddhist Philosophy

Thanks everyone for the thorough responses. see my previous post for my current thoughts. I would love to hear your response to those + these too.

I want to test drive one so bad... Its really hard to find one AT ALL in OKC, much less a 5 door. (is it just me or is that 5 door awesome?)

speaking of, I totally agree with Pool Runner, I love this car for its looks right off the bat. Plus the nostalgic thing going back to the economy cars with muscle of the past (simplicity is zen). Add that to the power and what you guys are telling me is at least somewhat comfortable to cross country comfortable. Seems perfect to me, plus i'm a tinkerer so i'll just learn everything i can about the car and hand pick the upgrades i want as i go... same things i like about a chevy 350. simple, easy to find aftermarket parts, relatively cheap for the amount of awesome. Plus its not an anemic Ford Ranger, been a great and simple vehicle, but its time for an upgrade!
    - David
    Tulsa, OK

I've only owned mine since Oct ('13 5 door) but here goes;

The looks, performance. The hatchback looks menacing, but at the same time, so at peace with itself. The car gets a lot of looks, first car I've ever driven that gets attention. I like it, but it could also be a drawback since there aren't many around here, so I feel I may have lost some driving anonymity.

Gas mileage is similar to what I got in a 1990 4WD SUV, and my insurance doubled.

Haven't had the chance yet, but don't plan on driving in snow anyway.

I've heard it's a gamble buying used since these cars can be driven pretty hard by previous owners.

It's missing some of the German convenience I am used to, but all in all, I prefer the simplicity and haven't run into any issues thus far.

Hell yes, I can't wait.

First thing I did was replace the stereo, then installed the all weather rubber floor mats, then disabled the seat belt beep. Love it.

What are typical first few upgrades for this vehicle?
    I'm guessing Exhaust, Intake/intercooler, boost control, electronic engine mod kits?
    Check out the link in my sig for some reading to get started on figuring that out.

but if you have a boost controller, can you turn it all the way down - as in to 0.0 boost?
    Boost controllers aren't a good idea, if you monkey around with boost levels without properly tuning you can cause some serious problems.

I believe that Cobb offers a gas mileage oriented map on the Accessport, though, if you go that route.
    Last edited by Calvinball; 11-23-2012 at 07:35 AM.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

The seat belt beep is a killer! My least favorite thing about cars these days...

This really sounds more and more like a car finding me. lol.

Just curious, you guys who have outrageous insurance (i'm sure it'll be more than a ranger. haha), what are your driving records like and what are your ages if you don't mind?

I'm 26, and have a clean driving record as far as I know.
    - David
    Tulsa, OK

I wouldn't say my insurance is outrageous, but it's definitely more. I went from $70/month to $140. I've had 3 speeding tickets (including one reckless), but nothing since 2007. My premium probably went up just due to new car, not my record. Mid 30s here.

1) Probably how customizable it is. It's fun to work on and there's a huge aftermarket support for the car.

2) There's not a lot of luxury to a WRX. The ride is decent but its designed or rally and after mods (3" exhaust) it's usually loud but that only bothers me on long trips (steady hum on the highway drowns out conversation/radio).

3) Stuck in WRX...no. Got stuck in a lowered GC once but drove straight into 1.5' of snow and sank about 6". We tied it off to a truck and I barely needed the help. The initial momentum was enough to drive out of it.

4) USED. Though I doubt ill ever but a new car. Just don't see the logic financially.

5) Simple, fun, fast.

6) Without hesitation. Take care if this car and it will run forever.

7) Do your research on differences between models/years and plan on keeping up/ahead on service and this will be a great car for you. I suggest you like to tinker to own one of these as they are fun to work on but expensive if you don't. You're looking at a Lego, very interchangeable and customizable as far as features between years and often models. If you can swing the insurance...buy and STi!!

The seat belt beep is a killer! My least favorite thing about cars these days...

This really sounds more and more like a car finding me. lol.

Just curious, you guys who have outrageous insurance (i'm sure it'll be more than a ranger. haha), what are your driving records like and what are your ages if you don't mind?

I'm 26, and have a clean driving record as far as I know.
    You should be fine living in OK, it ain't going to be cheap to insure, this car is basically similar to insure as a Corvette ZR-1 or Viper. In my case I am 34, zero ticket, zero accidents, married with kids and live in the five star school district and my '13 WRX sedan is the most expensive car I've ever had to insure, but i'm in CA where Insurance is just high anyway, It costs almost three times what my Ford F150 and Outback cost to insure.

I love this car, and would buy another in a heartbeat but I would also look at the new Focus ST, VW GTi & Mazdaspeed3. I really liked the Mazdaspeed3, it was fully loaded and about $6500 less than my stripped model WRX and felt a lot faster and tighter handling than the WRX to boot. I just wasn't too sure about Mazda reliability .Vs Subaru and we all know Mazda resale value falls off a cliff. The Mazda was about $45 less per month to insure.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.