I'm looking into getting a WRX, and looking for your advice - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on I'm looking into getting a WRX, and looking for your advice within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; For the conditions you're talking about this is a great car. Just swap out the summer tires for some all ...

For the conditions you're talking about this is a great car. Just swap out the summer tires for some all season and you should be good on dirt, mud and occasional snow. The stock tires are decent on dry warm pavement, but are dangerous on anything else. All seasons will give up some grip on dry pavement but be pretty good everywhere. That sounds like what you need.

I put all seasons on mine, and have driven in dirt and mud in the mountains in NC, and had zero problems. We don't get much snow here so haven't tried that yet.

Get one, you'll love it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks, it kinda sucks that I have to have a second set of tires, but I guess thats part of having such a versatile vehicle.
    - David
    Tulsa, OK
    - '69 Chevy C-10 (HS project with dad - still have it)
    - '14 2.5L WRX Hatchback WRB aka "Sonic"
    "If you can do something about it, then why worry; if you can't do anything about it, then why worry?" - Buddhist Philosophy

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GeOkie86
    Thanks, it kinda sucks that I have to have a second set of tires, but I guess thats part of having such a versatile vehicle.
    Do you see sub-40 temperatures and/or snow? If not, summer are sufficient.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Missed this earlier. Sorry...
    What are typical first few upgrades for this vehicle? I'm guessing Exhaust, Intake/intercooler, boost control, electronic engine mod kits?
    It depends on where you feel this car is lacking. If you feel it's lacking in power, then your modification path will be different than if you feel the handling is lacking.

IDK if you will know the answer to this, but if you have a boost controller, can you turn it all the way down - as in to 0.0 boost? Could you get better mileage on the highway doing this? It would be pretty awesome to just be able to dial up power whenever i needed it but not waste gas when not needed. Just a random question I guess... i'm a very curious person if you hadn't figured that out yet.
    You cannot turn the boost down to zero, but you can limit yourself to wastegate pressure (which will be ~9PSI, rather than the 14.5 or so from the factory). I'm not a fan of this, as if you ever need the power to get yourself out of a situation, you're stuck. If you want better gas mileage, use your right foot

UNYSOC

In the deepest parts of winter it is typically below 40 deg at least part of everyday, and we get snow and ice (really bad ice storms) a few times a year but its not something i have to deal with every day... I suppose since i'll be on dirt a lot it may not be bad to get some all terrain type tires just for all year round. What about that?
    - David
    Tulsa, OK
    "If you can do something about it, then why worry; if you can't do anything about it, then why worry?" - Buddhist Philosophy

Thanks for the info on the boost. I was really just curious, gas mileage won't be that big of a deal. I'll prob do almost as well as my gutless ranger gets right now. lol
    - David
    Tulsa, OK

I Support ClubWRX
    In the deepest parts of winter it is typically below 40 deg at least part of everyday, and we get snow and ice (really bad ice storms) a few times a year but its not something i have to deal with every day... I suppose since i'll be on dirt a lot it may not be bad to get some all terrain type tires just for all year round. What about that?
    Sub-40 temperatures is bad enough with summer tires, but snow/ice is asinine. You need some sort of tire designed for those conditions.

Unpaved roads will wreak havoc on good summer tires. I used to swap into my snows when I wanted to go play in the state land unpaved roads.

Thanks for the info on the boost. I was really just curious, gas mileage won't be that big of a deal. I'll prob do almost as well as my gutless ranger gets right now. lol
    No problem. Zeroing out the WGDC tables (or running a vacuum line from the compressor to wastegate actuator) will do it, if you desire. Like I said, however, there are times where you need power (say you misjudged an oncoming vehicles speed, and need to accelerate to avoid being hit). If you're modulating mileage with your right foot, you can floor it and be fine. If you've mechanically/electronically limited yourself, you could end up the recipient of some surprise buttsex

UNYSOC

Do you think there is any chance the dealership or factory would just sell me the car with more appropriate tires for me? I'll def ask them this question obviously, but do they sell these with summer tires to people in OK during the winter time? lol. seems like a problem they would run into regularly around here. of course they prob don't sell a whole lot of them here either...
    - David
    Tulsa, OK

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you think there is any chance the dealership or factory would just sell me the car with more appropriate tires for me? I'll def ask them this question obviously, but do they sell these with summer tires to people in OK during the winter time? lol. seems like a problem they would run into regularly around here. of course they prob don't sell a whole lot of them here either...
    You may be able to work something into the deal. My guess would be that they would offer to mount/balance the new tires free of charge (which is like $100, but better than nothing).

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You may be able to work something into the deal. My guess would be that they would offer to mount/balance the new tires free of charge (which is like $100, but better than nothing).
    I don't see why the dealer wouldn't be able to help out with this. They can easily re-sale the op's summer tires to another customer in need of new summer tires.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    1) What is your favorite thing about your WRX?

Hate it.

2) What is your least favorite? or What is the biggest drawback to driving a WRX?

It's a WRX.

3) Have you ever been stuck in your WRX? What were the conditions (mud, snow, ice, ground clearance)?

I got stuck once. Hated it.

4) Would you buy new or used?

I wouldn't.

5) How is the ergonimics of the vehicle? Is it intuitive? frustrating? comfortable?

No.

6) Would/do you drive your WRX long distances?

No.

7) Other comments/advice?

Don't buy one.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post

Hate it.

2) What is your least favorite? or What is the biggest drawback to driving a WRX?

It's a WRX.

3) Have you ever been stuck in your WRX? What were the conditions (mud, snow, ice, ground clearance)?

I got stuck once. Hated it.

I wouldn't.

5) How is the ergonimics of the vehicle? Is it intuitive? frustrating? comfortable?

No.

No.

Don't buy one.

fantastic answer, very insightful
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    fantastic answer, very insightful
    I know.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GeOkie86 View Post
    Hello everyone! This is my first post on this site, and my first day here. To keep things as short as possible I am looking into getting a WRX and would love if you would all answer a few questions for me. I would love it if everyone who reads this would just answer these questions for me. explain as little or much as you wish, i'm interested in as much input as possible. Thanks!

Versatility. It's fast enough/handles well enough for fun, but does well as a secondary family vehicle and handles inclement weather.

The car has almost too much potential. Therefore the fool (me) and his money are soon parted. I wasn't going to modify my 2nd WRX. That's many thousands of dollars ago.

No. It negotiates my hilly driveway in ice with surprising ease, even with summer tires.

This is a tricky one..there are well-spoken, intelligent people in both the "used" and "new" camps. If you are mechanically inclined, I would encourage you to look for a car (any car) that is 2-3 years old, used, and well maintained by an adult. (someone over 40, preferably). I've bought many used cars, and frankly, my WRX is the only one that's bitten me. That's also a gray area, though. One could say that I didn't HAVE to pay a bunch of money for a hybrid build just because I was getting some smoke from the stock turbo, and a minor leakdown issue.

As good as most other Japanese vehicles.

My WRX has been on trips of hundreds of miles with no issues.

Buy the car that makes you happy, and suits your lifestyle and needs. Other people's opinions are nice, but shouldn't make your decisions for you when it comes to car purchases.
    Good luck!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    You should be fine living in OK, it ain't going to be cheap to insure, this car is basically similar to insure as a Corvette ZR-1 or Viper. In my case I am 34, zero ticket, zero accidents, married with kids and live in the five star school district and my '13 WRX sedan is the most expensive car I've ever had to insure, but i'm in CA where Insurance is just high anyway, It costs almost three times what my Ford F150 and Outback cost to insure.

I love this car, and would buy another in a heartbeat but I would also look at the new Focus ST, VW GTi & Mazdaspeed3. I really liked the Mazdaspeed3, it was fully loaded and about $6500 less than my stripped model WRX and felt a lot faster and tighter handling than the WRX to boot. I just wasn't too sure about Mazda reliability .Vs Subaru and we all know Mazda resale value falls off a cliff. The Mazda was about $45 less per month to insure.
    You felt like the mazda 3 was faster then your wrx? I thought the fully loaded mazda 3 had 167 HP? Or did you mean faster handeling?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.