2013 WRX-Why did you buy your Sedan-vs-Hatch Back, or Hatch Back-vs-Sedan?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX-Why did you buy your Sedan-vs-Hatch Back, or Hatch Back-vs-Sedan? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; 2013 WRX-why did you buy your Sedan-vs-Hatch Back, or Hatch Back-vs-Sedan? A little curious...I went looking to buy a new ...

2013 WRX-Why did you buy your Sedan-vs-Hatch Back, or Hatch Back-vs-Sedan?

2013 WRX-why did you buy your Sedan-vs-Hatch Back, or Hatch Back-vs-Sedan?

A little curious...I went looking to buy a new 2013 WRX Hatchback...than choose the sedan.

What where your deciding factors in purchasing your sedan or hatchback -vs- the other model?

I wanted a Red 2013 Hatchback, found out Red was discontinued, saw both a World Rally Blue Hatchback and Sedan, and drove home in the Blue sedan.

Other than the available spoilers and rear wiper on the Hatchback, here are some of the differences between the models that I know of, do correct me if I am wrong:

Sedan has two mufflers, each with dual outlets and that 'diffuser'. Hatch Back has one bigger muffler, feeding dual outlets to each side, and no 'diffuser'
    -Thoughts on which model has a louder exhaust if at all, and possibly better flow...or did the Subie engineers make it equal between both models?

Sedan (pending the trim), has no spoiler, the Hatch Back, comes with the STI spoiler (spot check, as I believe this to be true)

The Sedan is almost up to 7 inches longer than the Hatch Back, yet both weigh the same at 3208 pounds base curb weight

What ever 2013 model you choose..congrats...both are just dam awesome...and we are WRX owners!

-MACE-
    Last edited by pmacey; 11-18-2012 at 10:07 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I got the hatch so I could more easily cart my snow tires over to the shop to get them mounted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I liked the look of the 5-door, but I was drawn to the a WRB 4-door. Not really sure why. Maybe it looks a little more grown up, a little less racey. Also I've almost always had hatches or wagons.

I originally got a 2012 sedan in WRB but then the hatch started growing on me so I traded in my sedan for a 2013 hatch. Both look great in my opinion and the bottom line is that it is your own personal preference.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Sti - SOLD
    2000 PY Acura Integra Type R 59k miles - EX track warrior/weekend car
    2012 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan - SOLD
    2013 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX Hatchback - Factory order placed 8-11-2012 picked up 11-01-12
    2013 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX Hatchback - Factory order placed 12-06-12. Yes! Another one
    "The Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy, but where are they." - Plutarch

I Support ClubWRX
    i think the hatchback is a better looking car, and since its more practical it just makes the decision easier.
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    I wanted the sedan originally, but there was a hatch available in the dealer when I went to buy, and I could not wait 6-8 weeks for an order. The hatch has grown on me though, and I am glad I got it over the hatch.

I have read that the hatch has better front/rear weight distro. though.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Wagon for versatility/practicality.

Subjectively, I also prefer the look compared to the current sedans. I think the wagons from all years look good, and the sedans from previous gens, but the new sedans (09+) don't do it for me at all.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I wanted a hatch back because my last car was a coupe and I was sick of having no space and trying to shove things into a trunk. I also like the extra head room in the back, though the sedans are really good looking with the wide body.
    '11 WRX DGM

I have the sedan. Sedans typically are more rigid than hatchbacks. Both have their merits. Whichever meets your needs best is what matters most.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    I have the sedan. Sedans typically are more rigid than hatchbacks. Both have their merits. Whichever meets your needs best is what matters most.

Got my 2013 MY WRX in DMG sedan with factory installed spoiler, fog lights, auto-dimming rear view mirror and extended arm rest. Right out of Japan with 5 miles on it.

I mean the sedan is just so unique...it's got extra attitude and the front end looks like it only fits with the sedan. The hatchback to me looks weird...BUT hey to each his own...

I choose the sedan, but was on the fence for the better part of over a year. In fact I was sure I wanted WRB or SWP and the day I picked up my car the dealer had both a SWP hatch & sedan. So I put a deposit down and thought it over for, four and half hours.

Honestly I think sedans are just sexier, the lines on the '11+ sedan make the car look extremely sporty. For some reason the stubby rear of the hatch doesn't blend or match the front end of the car, coming from a guy that bought a Honda Ep3 hatch back in '02, I've just remembered how people (mostly women) thought it was just a cheap econobox because it was a hatchback. Also when I see a regular non-STi/WRX Impreza it's difficult to tell the difference between a WRX/STi to the common eye, yet the sedan WRX/STi is easily recognizable as the high performance model due to the wider body work and dramatic exhaust work and rear diffuser.

Also it could be just my ear, but I felt the sedan had the meaner sounding stock exhaust, even heard two cars a sedan and hatch on a dealer lot that had the SPT exhaust and I swear the sedan setup was louder, meaner sounding. There were a few nit-picky items that I liked about two versions of the cars. I wished the sedan got led tails like the hatch. While people say hatches are more practical, and usually they are but since I have two kids in car seats using the LATCH anchors on the hatch would leave my hatch almost useless. With the sedan since the anchor points are on the rear shelf inside the car, the trunk is free.

The last deciding factor was that my wife has an '11 Outback too, so whenever I need to haul something too big for the trunk we take that car. Given I had the choice I took what I felt was the sportier looking car. If I was single with no kids and this was my only car I would have picked the hatch just based on practicality. Again I don't care really, like the other guy said I like either one and think they are awesome cars.
    Last edited by Pool Runner; 11-18-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

I had a Mazda 3 hatch and loved the way the space use was efficient. When I found out the hatch was actually *shorter* than the sedan, that sold me. All but one of my automobile...shall we call them "incidents"...occurred in reverse. I guess I get distracted while backing up.

Bottom line: I love a car where I can see all four corners easily.

I went with a 2013 CBS WRX 4-door. For me, there is no better looking car under $40k than the WRX/STI 4-door sedan (with spoiler). For some reason, I don't feel this way at all about the 5-door. I just don't think the hatchback is attractive. The car looks great head-on though. I did look at a white 5-door that I considered briefly. However, I decided to wait on the car I really wanted. I chose black because I wanted the car to have a bit of class and sophistication. If I were still in my 20's I would have considered the suby blue or DGM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I liked the look of the sedan way better...probably the reason I waited three years to get my STI!

I loved how the sedan looked more but I ultimately went with the Hatchback and love it. I wanted to have the added space the hatch provides.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast