2013 WRX-Why did you buy your Sedan-vs-Hatch Back, or Hatch Back-vs-Sedan? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX-Why did you buy your Sedan-vs-Hatch Back, or Hatch Back-vs-Sedan? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Sounds like dealers who are hoping to take advantage of the price difference that USED TO exist. Official Subaru pricing ...

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Sounds like dealers who are hoping to take advantage of the price difference that USED TO exist. Official Subaru pricing is clear - there is no official difference between the two. Dealers are always allowed to charge what they want, but my money says they are just trying to give themselves a higher price point using the body style as an excuse. If you went through a buyers service (Costco has one, there are others) they would get you a price without that sort of mark-up and send you to a dealer who would honor that price. Just a thought.

as for body style ... it's all in the eye of the beholder. To me the hatch is mean and sexy looking, and of course has all the practical bits in place. I also like the sleeper feeling that hatches have. When I look at the sedans they look too damn much like every other econo-sedan on the market (unless you go STI with a wing - those still look great). Each to their own.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Buyer Beware...as most of you know: do your research on MSRP and Invoice pricing on the WRX, its options, available incentives (ex: Financing, rebates, available discounts, etc), and what is included in the different trim levels, before visiting your first dealer.

2013 MSRP on the base WRX Sedan and Hatch is $25,795, Invoice is $24,356

Just this past October, I went to a dealer and they were asking me if I knew the price differences on MSRP between the 2013 sedan and hatchback...I promptly turned around and left when they tried to charge me $435 for a spoiler on the Sedan premium model

Ended up getting my 2013 World Rally Blue WRX Premium Sedan out of state.

-MACE-

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    Sounds like dealers who are hoping to take advantage of the price difference that USED TO exist. Official Subaru pricing is clear - there is no official difference between the two. Dealers are always allowed to charge what they want, but my money says they are just trying to give themselves a higher price point using the body style as an excuse. If you went through a buyers service (Costco has one, there are others) they would get you a price without that sort of mark-up and send you to a dealer who would honor that price. Just a thought.

as for body style ... it's all in the eye of the beholder. To me the hatch is mean and sexy looking, and of course has all the practical bits in place. I also like the sleeper feeling that hatches have. When I look at the sedans they look too damn much like every other econo-sedan on the market (unless you go STI with a wing - those still look great). Each to their own.
    I actually wanted the base sedan with (no- spoiler) It makes the rear of the car cleaner and actually saved my rear-end the other day. I was coming down a hill to hot, way over the speed limit. Noticed a highway patrol at the last minute, down-shifted to slow the car as best as I could, still flew past him at perhaps 5-10 over and to my surprise he didn't pull out after me, I was clearly ahead of the pack of cars behind me. I think he looked up and saw a basic run of the mill Impreza Lol.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 Mace^

I did my home work and new the option packages $$ and found my car in the late morning,
    negotiated my best deal, and took delivery late afternoon. Luck was with me finding what I
    wanted but having an idea of what your wants are gives you the best bang for your buck.
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

Re: 2013 WRX-Why did you buy your Sedan-vs-Hatch Back, or Hatch Back-vs-Sedan?

I decided on a hatch so my dog could ride along in addition to passengers in the back seat. The look of the hatches has really grown on me too.

Hatch for me since I've always wanted to combine the utility of my ZX3 hatch and the power/fun of my STI sedan.

My reasoning is a little strange, but I went with a sedan because I felt it was more "grown up." I've been driving an 03 Matrix XRS for the past 5 1/2 years, and while the space is very functional, and I actually like hatches, I felt like the sedan looked a little more sophisticated... and just looked better IMO due to the rear diffuser. It'll be strange having a car with a trunk again, but I'll enjoy having less cabin noise as well. It's not just a Subaru thing, if you own a hatch of any make you will experience more cabin noise and associated rattles over time than you would in a sedan.
    Last edited by floods; 11-28-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by floods View Post
    It's not just a Subaru thing, if you own a hatch of any make you will experience more cabin noise and associated rattles over time than you would in a sedan.
    I challenge anyone with a hatch to compare road noise/rattles of the 2005 STI sedan that I have...no way in hell anyone's car is louder than mine
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I challenge anyone with a hatch to compare road noise/rattles of the 2005 STI sedan that I have...no way in hell anyone's car is louder than mine
    All anyone can hear in your car now is PSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    My wagon's pretty loud. I can clearly pick out noise from the 18G, exhaust, transmission, rear diff, and my bones creaking. I don't remember my sedan being this obnoxious...but then that's been a while!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

i bought a sedan 3 weeks ago. the dealer i went to gave me same price on both hatch and sedan.
    another dealer i talked to was quoting me $500 more on hatch, but im sure I couldve easily talked away $500 on a 30k car.
    other deals I got online quotes from offered same pricing on hatch and sedan.
    Last edited by hliu320; 01-01-2013 at 12:19 PM.

i originally went in for an sti hatch. ended up ordering a base wrx sedan. go figure lol. my going from an sti to a wrx was simple. i test drove both, didnt see $12,000 of additional value in the sti. end of story lol. everything i read about it including the spec sheet told me i wanted one,no...i NEEDED one. but after driving them i couldnt justify spending Audi/BMW money on a glorified impreza. STI is a great car for the track. but ill never go to the track. so i didnt need it.

now why I went sedan over hatch.

i would have went with the base hatch honestly. but i really wanted silver and the only hatch they had with the options i wanted was WRB. thats a little to much flash for me. around here every cop knows what a subaru blue hatch looks like. and they lock onto it like a hawk, even if your doing nothing wrong.
    so i didnt want to draw needless attention to myself.

then seeing the hatch and sedan side by side. it was game over, i fell in love with the understated design of the sedan. call me crazy but i love the more sleeper(to me) look of a sedan. and in ice silver, it looks amazing in person. all the pics online really dont do it justice IMO. it looks a lot more "grown up" to me. something ill feel comfortable driving well into my 30's and not feel like im driving a high schoolers car. which my other option being a WRB hatch. is how i saw it. just seemed like the blue hatch was something i would have driven at 18 or 19. not 27. and with the intention of keeping it for at least 10 years. just my personal opinion. but i couldnt picture myself driving a WRB hatch at damn near 40 years old. (i know there are a lot of older guys that do and love it, but it just wasnt for me)

i know the hatch is far more practical. but thats what i have a $3000 beater truck for lol. so sedan i went and im still awaiting my January 21st delivery date!
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 01-13-2013 at 06:34 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Obviously you have to buy the car that suits you.

I'm a stubborn cuss...I've reached the point where I really don't care what people think about the car I'm driving, versus how old I am. It does create some interesting situations...I got pulled a couple of years ago for running a stop sign, in my blue wagon with gold wheels. The cop looked at my license (and my age), and said "is this YOUR car?", with a grin on his face. Yessirr, Mr. Officer sir.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345