2013 WRX-Why did you buy your Sedan-vs-Hatch Back, or Hatch Back-vs-Sedan? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX-Why did you buy your Sedan-vs-Hatch Back, or Hatch Back-vs-Sedan? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Well, that's kinda the point. Most of the sedan buyers in this thread seem to be "looks oriented", while the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, that's kinda the point. Most of the sedan buyers in this thread seem to be "looks oriented", while the hatch/wagon guys are more about function. Nothing wrong with either; just an observation.

For the record, my kids get no say at all when it comes to my car selection.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Says who?

I can put 2 full sets of wheels/tires in my car, AND 4 bare wheels in my trunk while still having the subwoofers in there.
    Only all seasons.. Not dedicated snow/summer tires.

Nah, really, I barely use the cargo room from the hatch much. The newer sedans do have a smaller trunk than the GDs though. The only perk being that the hatch is there for those few times I need it.

And better weight distribution becuzracecarrawr
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Well, that's kinda the point. Most of the sedan buyers in this thread seem to be "looks oriented", while the hatch/wagon guys are more about function. Nothing wrong with either; just an observation.

For the record, my kids get no say at all when it comes to my car selection.
    That's why I said my car is my third, pointless, weekend toy, not only do I have a full sized truck but an Outback too as to haul whatever is bigger than a set of golf clubs. I also said if my WRX was to be my only car or daily driver I would have got the hatch as practicality would have been a bigger issue than looks. In my case of course looks played a bigger part of my purchase. I could have cared less if it was a two door roadster, coupe or wagon although I purposely needed to have a back seat to fit two car seats at the very least. Heck I was even going to get a BRZ but it was the same price as the WRX only slower and no AWD.

As far as my kids, they are a bigger part of my life than any purchase. As a plus my oldest is showing a huge interest in cars and that's awesome, so yeah I take great consideration to his opinion. In all seriousness I really liked the MS3 but my kid hated the way it looked, he actually said it looked funny because it was smiling in the front Lol.

Again I mentioned I also like the hatch models a ton, and would have still loved it equally if that was the only choice, but I LOVE a traditional sedan profile when all common sense, practicality and bets are off. When I look at my cars profile and stance it shows cues and muscular proportions not unlike other sexy sedans like the E9XX BMW M3 sedan, Mercedes C63 AMG sedan etc... none of those cars would look as hot as a 5-door hatchback, wagon yes but not 5-door like the WRX style.

I also think that's my main issue with the WRX 5-door, as it actually is a hatchback as opposed to more of a wagon like the last model or my Outback. Like I mentioned if you have car seats that attach to LATCH points, your cargo area is now useless unless you leave a kid home and or remove the car seat due to the floor mount LATCH points .Vs the package tray mounted LATCH points on the sedan, that leave the entire trunk accessible.

To sum this up its a broad stroke to say all the sedan owners purchased their cars based on looks alone, I think it boils down to whether this is your weekend warrior or your only car, or your daily driver. Im just glad Subaru had the generosity to appeal to different needs and wants all in the same awesome package.
    Last edited by Pool Runner; 11-19-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

I picked the sedan in spite of the fact that it was about 30% more to insure. I think it was ultimately down to looks. I haven't regretted it, although I think that the hatchbacks are very cool as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikana View Post
    I picked the sedan in spite of the fact that it was about 30% more to insure. I think it was ultimately down to looks. I haven't regretted it, although I think that the hatchbacks are very cool as well.
    Your kidding right? If I knew that I would have actually got the hatch on that premise alone. I'm 34, married, no tickets, no accidents, have my WRX listed with my INS company as "weekend car" and it is still more to insure than my '11 Outback & my '11 Ford F-150 combined! What is so special to INS companies about the sedan .Vs the hatch?

I actually used to work in Collision repair, and Wagons & Hatches always cost more to repair when hit in the back as it typically involves replacing the entire hatch .Vs just a trunk.
    Current vehicles:

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    Your kidding right? If I knew that I would have actually got the hatch on that premise alone. I'm 34, married, no tickets, no accidents, have my WRX listed with my INS company as "weekend car" and it is still more to insure than my '11 Outback & my '11 Ford F-150 combined! What is so special to INS companies about the sedan .Vs the hatch?

I actually used to work in Collision repair, and Wagons & Hatches always cost more to repair when hit in the back as it typically involves replacing the entire hatch .Vs just a trunk.

Basically what they are charging me to insure my wrx sedan is about the same as my 2005 ford taurus. (Lol) The insurance agent explained to me that it had a lot to do with vehicle weight, that the Taurus due to its higher weight was likely to do more damage in an accident, so that is why the rates were around the same. I think this is because I live in Michigan which has this idiotic no-fault insurance law which I think some drivers treat as a license to drive recklessly and/or aggressively.

The insurance agent actually told me the hatch was even cheaper because "it's a wagon and wagons are grandma cars". Hah! Not ths one, I think. I'm not going to argue with cheaper rates though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikana View Post
    The insurance agent actually told me the hatch was even cheaper because "it's a wagon and wagons are grandma cars". Hah! Not ths one, I think. I'm not going to argue with cheaper rates though.
    I had a 2011 Impreza hatch which I traded in for my wrx sedan. After I bought the hatch in late 2010 I realized the
    mistake I made in not purchaseing what I actually wanted, a wrx sedan. Grandma's sation wagon, lol.. Thats what my girl friend called my hatch. Now she calls my rex sexy!
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

I Support ClubWRX
    As far as my kids, they are a bigger part of my life than any purchase. As a plus my oldest is showing a huge interest in cars and that's awesome, so yeah I take great consideration to his opinion.
    If letting my kids, when they were 3, make important decisions for the household, then I fail with pride.
    My oldest is now 13, and I'm really, really, REALLY glad that I taught her the lesson "It's not all about you, sweetheart".
    Though, I suspect that you aren't as extreme as all of that, and are really just arguing for the sake of arguing.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

If letting my kids, when they were 3, make important decisions for the household, then I fail with pride.
    My oldest is now 13, and I'm really, really, REALLY glad that I taught her the lesson "It's not all about you, sweetheart".
    Though, I suspect that you aren't as extreme as all of that, and are really just arguing for the sake of arguing.
    Thats great bro, my oldest son had leukemia for the better part of his life from 2 years old through age three, battling it last year and surviving. Most of the time while we were in the hospital 24/7 for 8 mos we would watch YouTube videos of WRX's and STi's along with countless exhuast clips (his choice) etc... of those cars because he loves the Subbie rumble as much as I. Eventhough he has been cured, the cancer could have side effects or come back within 5 years.

I could not emphasize more , how much of an honor it was to simply let my son have an opinion on picking out my "fun car" call it whatever you want to but obviously my situation is drastically different from yours.
    Current vehicles:

I like the look of the Sedan better than the 5 door and also I like the fact its a bit longer.
    Up the Irons!

Im suprised more people havent brought up the price! I liked both the hatch and the sedan and was back and forth for a month. But an extra 2 grand for the hatch wasnt worth it to me so I ended up geting the Premium sedan for that same 2 grand that would have been a base hatch. I really wanted the fog lights and Sun roof haha. Anyhow i dont regret it at all I see a lot of hatches out here in NY and not so many sedans.

Out here its much easier to find a hatch then a sedan. My estimate on the wait for my sedan was 10 months minimum, but I ended up finding the only sedan in my entire country tri state area that was listed. ( in the color i wanted too I think they are both sexy cars but the price was the difference

Quote Originally Posted by rockstar4l View Post
    Im suprised more people havent brought up the price! I liked both the hatch and the sedan and was back and forth for a month. But an extra 2 grand for the hatch wasnt worth it to me so I ended up geting the Premium sedan for that same 2 grand that would have been a base hatch. I really wanted the fog lights and Sun roof haha. Anyhow i dont regret it at all I see a lot of hatches out here in NY and not so many sedans.

Out here its much easier to find a hatch then a sedan. My estimate on the wait for my sedan was 10 months minimum, but I ended up finding the only sedan in my entire country tri state area that was listed. ( in the color i wanted too I think they are both sexy cars but the price was the difference
    That's weird, the dealer I talked to said the price difference was around $500, and they didn't have the WRX I wanted anywhere in Michigan so the dealer just ordered mine from Subaru. I got updates on when the vehicle was complete and shipping to the US, also when it had arrived in the country and finally when it was ready to pick up. Entire wait was around 2 months.

I Support ClubWRX
    If true about your son, then you have my utmost sympathy, one parent to another.
    Clearly this is a very emotional issue for you, and understandably. My best to you and yours.

Thats great bro, my oldest son had leukemia for the better part of his life from 2 years old through age three, battling it last year and surviving. Most of the time while we were in the hospital 24/7 for 8 mos we would watch YouTube videos of WRX's and STi's along with countless exhuast clips (his choice) etc... of those cars because he loves the Subbie rumble as much as I. Eventhough he has been cured, the cancer could have side effects or come back within 5 years.

I could not emphasize more , how much of an honor it was to simply let my son have an opinion on picking out my "fun car" call it whatever you want to but obviously my situation is drastically different from yours.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstar4l View Post
    Im suprised more people havent brought up the price! I liked both the hatch and the sedan and was back and forth for a month. But an extra 2 grand for the hatch wasnt worth it to me so I ended up geting the Premium sedan for that same 2 grand that would have been a base hatch.
    I had no idea that people were seeing such differences in price between the hatch and the sedan. 2 grand isn't trivial, and would probably influence my decision, as well.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

If true about your son, then you have my utmost sympathy, one parent to another.
    Clearly this is a very emotional issue for you, and understandably. My best to you and yours.
    No prob.
    Current vehicles:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.