Possibly buying a bugeye
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Possibly buying a bugeye within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; So I've been looking for a car the past month and I found a good looking bugeye with 75k. The ...

Possibly buying a bugeye

So I've been looking for a car the past month and I found a good looking bugeye with 75k. The guy claims to have dyno sheets of the car pushing 290hp (stage 2) the only red flag I see with this car is the CEL codes.

P0328- knock sensor
    P1090 tgv sensor
    P1091 tgv stuck open
    P1088 tgv stuck close

What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

He claims that most if not all all from the BOV, which I plan on taking off.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly I would stay away from anything with modifications.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

How about if I told you I can get it for $6500?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't see what a BOV would have to do with any of those codes.. so right there he's lying to you. You might be able to buy it for $6500, but you're likely going to have to spend a lot more money (and time) getting it running reliably.

Who did the tune? What do they have to say about the codes? What exactly has been done to the car (specifics)?

This is the ad
    2002 Subaru WRX

His explanation is "the sensors are because it has a BOV and the mass air flow sensor is expecting the bypass valve to be running while there's actually a BOV. So no air is cycling past the sensor causing a CEL"

Any advice is appreciated. Im 19 and of course Im going to get gassed up when a car like this comes up in my price range. But I cant afford a lemon, at least in the next couple months. Thanks guys.

I asked about the tune, and he has no clue, he bought it like that. The dyno makes me think it was done right.

I Support ClubWRX
    after reading the FS ad, i stand by my original post even more.

if you're young and cant afford a headache, you need to find a bone stock wrx with maintenance records.

edit: also, the 295HP thing is a concern as well. most dyno graphs are in WHP. for a bugeye to get to 295WHP, it has to have an upgraded turbo. even if the car was dyno'd on a high reading dyno [dynojet], there has to be more than just an exhaust/FMIC/BOV.
    Last edited by wrxtreme06; 11-03-2012 at 10:22 AM.

desiree

Sounds like a mess, and he's blatantly lying about the CEL. Personally, I would avoid that car unless you're looking for a project and have the money set aside to replace the engine when it needs it.

You think I can find a reliable wrx below the $7500 range?

I Support ClubWRX
    not completely impossible but you'll need patience and may need to travel a bit.

most bugeyes with higher mileage are in that price range. the key is just finding one thats not molested

desiree

to replace the tgv valve is pretty simple, there common for being stuck open or closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru1229 View Post
    to replace the tgv valve is pretty simple, there common for being stuck open or closed.

My issue isn't with the TGV, it's the fact that the seller is lying about the car from the start. And if you still have the brackets of death on there then R&Ring the intake manifold isn't exactly a simple task.. not to mention the valve would be pretty hard to fix if it isn't there.

Honestly, I would be more concerned about the knock sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru1229 View Post
    yeah I read about the tgv deletes, what about the knock sensor.....would you trust this subie?

Just to get an idea where I'm coming from.. I bought my second bugeye in 2008 for $11k. It was modded by the previous owner and ran great. 300awhp when I picked it up. It continued running good for ONE DAY after I bought it. I figured I would just fix it and have a good car. Now it's 2012, I've spent over $15,000 rebuilding the engine FOUR times and it has only been drivable for about six months out of the last three years. Not to mention two divorces in part due to the fact that I refuse to sell the car because I could never get back the money I have invested in it at this point.

So it's your call. If you've got plenty of cash and another car to drive while this one gets fixed then I guess you don't have too much to worry about.

And in case you're wondering, my car is still not running right and it's going in next month to have the engine rebuilt a fifth time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.