2013 WRX or WRX STI - Rookie Subaru owner

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX or WRX STI - Rookie Subaru owner within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; hello all, I've never owned a subaru but am strongly considering doing so as my next car. There's a hefty ...

2013 WRX or WRX STI - Rookie Subaru owner

hello all, I've never owned a subaru but am strongly considering doing so as my next car. There's a hefty price difference between the WRX and the STI. I realize there are some decently big differences as well. HP, torque, etc. Would it be realistic to spend less on the WRX and perhaps add the aftermarket components such as better suspension and an ECU flash/reprogram in order to bring it up a few notches? I know it won't be the STI when all is said and done but to be honest with ya'll, I don't really need the diff lock option and the other crazy options that the STI has. So basically what I'm asking is would it be cost effective to go this route or would I end up puting so much loot into it that I might as well have paid the 6k more for the STI? thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice ya'll may have for me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The general feeling is that no, you're right, you aren't going to make a wrx into a sti effectively. Most of us tend to view them as cars for different purposes. The wrx is a very fun, capable car that is more suited to someone who wants a daily driver with sporting ability. The sti is a better car for someone who will be looking to do motorsports of some sort, and doesn't mind a rawer, more potent machine. There are exceptions to this of course...

If possible, you should try to drive one of each, that will be a huge factor.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I think it depends on your purpose, if you want a daily driver get the wrx if you want more speed get the sti. I got the wrx and now wishing I got the sti.
    A car is only as good as its driver