Haggle help on WRX purchaseyou gu
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Haggle help on WRX purchaseyou gu within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I figure it is tough to haggle price on a WRX since they are such a hot commodity but I ...

I figure it is tough to haggle price on a WRX since they are such a hot commodity but I figure they can still budge on price some. What techniques do you guys use when trying to knock the price down? Or should I go the road of asking for thrown in accessories/parts instead of haggling price since parts are set at a higher mark up?

Any help is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have cash in hand! How I got a deal on mine. Also doesn't hurt to but from a non subi area.

Cash as in paying for the car in full in cash?! Or just my down payment in cash? lol. No way do I have 20K in cash

I Support ClubWRX

Find a price with which you are comfortable. Offer it. They'll either day yes or no. If they say no, leave them your card and tell them to rig you when the answer is yes. Then leave.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Truecar.com was pretty helpful. I used it as a resource to request price quotes and get offers from several dealerships. When I was ready to negotiate, I just used all the offers I had on the table to help drive down the final cost.

Dealer invoice seems like a reasonable and doable price. I paid $25,515 for my 12 WRX, Base hatch with a few small options

I spent the better part of last winter and spring waiting for a new WRX. When production of the 2012s stopped in the spring, I was pretty PO'd at the mark up (as much as $2000 over MSRP) on cars at dealers in my town and nearby. I monitored all of the cars for sale on cars.com and just waited for one listed at MSRP. When one came available not too far away, I went to the dealer's website and asked for their special internet price. The next day, I go an email offering the car for over $1100 BELOW MRSP. I later learned that they still made a substantial profit. I jumped at the chance. No haggling. It allowed me to get a few extras on the car. MSRP should be the absolute ceiling and represents more than enough profit. I cannot imagine why anyone would pay as much as $3000 above dealer cost. My advice. Walk away from any dealer who asks for more and keep looking. There are still dealers who will come down on price. My guess is that now that the 2013 are out, the prices will come down and the dealers will be more agreeable.

Not sure about the rest of the country but here in nor Cal the best you can expect to pay for a 2013 WRX is sticker. I think dealers do discount STi's though as they are at a much higher price point and sit longer than the $26,700 base WRX's.

Seriously for the last year even "USED" WRX's were going for $1500-$2000 more than new ones for some crazy reason. My car had a $26,700 sticker ('13 Sedan, base, Satin White, no spoiler) and the dealer was asking $29,900 for it. Dealer I bought it from promised to sell it to me for sticker eventhough he had a cash offer for $1100 over MSRP because I bought my wifes Outback there a year prior.

He said they never sell WRX's for under MSRP, as there are people seriously waiting for them as they come off the truck. Good luck, and I know if you shop in areas where Subaru isn't popular like Texas, Florida, Mid West etc.. you might get an invoice price. But if your trying to buy in a hot Subaru market you will pay sticker or more likely if you want one of these cars. I paid sticker and don't mind as I got EXACTLY the car I dreamed about, plus I can afford it and the resale value is insane on these cars anyway.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Find a price with which you are comfortable. Offer it. They'll either day yes or no. If they say no, leave them your card and tell them to rig you when the answer is yes. Then leave.
    Normally I would have done that as I have with most of the appliances I've bought over the years, I have to admit. I paid sticker on my car because it had just come in and had no miles on it and I didn't want it sitting around for a few more days getting test-driven and beat on by tire kickers. IMO the money I would have saved by playing the haggle game on this car was not worth more than the peace of mind knowing I'm the only soul other than the dealer PDI guy who has driven the car.

Yes if this were a Camry, Outback, Accord, Civic, Chevy, Ford etc... I would have tried to squeeze every dime out of the dealer till they caved or just walked. Unfortunately, my exact dream WRX right down to color was sitting on this lot, I am still as happy as a clam today eventhough I paid sticker for it. I paid about $1000 under invoice on my Outback and have had buyers remorse since the day I drove it home because it is so stinking boring to drive and I hate CVT, but who cares my wife drives it 98% of the time and shes happy with it.
    Current vehicles:

Yeah I'm in Maryland in Hagerstown where Subaru's aren't too popular. He is giving it to me at sticker price regardless of if I order one or take the base model hatchback... I just don't know about the hatchbacks man... they are so unique but I have a love/hate relationship with them lol. Gotta make sure I'm happy with a car if I'm having it for 8+ years

So if I get the car at sticker price... should I ask/expect to get some added goodies to the car for free or discounted?? I'm adding the SPT cat back and boost gauge. I'm debating taking the car if they work with me on those. What is your take on that?

And sorry for all the ?'s I've never bought a new car before lol

check these articles out to get some ideas and guidelines...

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/

But always push for invoice or lower... if you offer higher off the bat, they won't budge from said price if they honor it.
    Last edited by chutoyy; 10-10-2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: where'd my link go?

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    So if I get the car at sticker price... should I ask/expect to get some added goodies to the car for free or discounted?? I'm adding the SPT cat back and boost gauge. I'm debating taking the car if they work with me on those. What is your take on that?
    The rule always goes "you never know till you ask" I went to a lot that had a base sedan in red, had tint already on it and it was used with 11k miles on it. Dealer asking $29,900 for it Lol. My wife and I threw out a cash offer $25,000 and the guy laughed at us, he said you can choose any other car we have here and can give you $500 below invoice, but this is the last WRX we will see for the year, owner says he will sit on it before discounting it. So be it we left, I didn't want red anyway.

You can try to ask for the boost gauge and exhaust but more than likely they will say no. Perhaps counter with trying to get the exhaust & gauge at cost pricing. Personally the boost gauge wouldn't be a deal breaker, but that Spt exhaust is like $800 dollars or so.
    Current vehicles:

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    So if I get the car at sticker price... should I ask
    Yes.

/expect to get some added goodies to the car for free or discounted??
    No.

Ask. Don't expect.

In fact, don't haggle. Offer a fair price. If they want the car more than your money, walk. Keep it simple. Life's too short. They'll call.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.