2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Purchase Help

This is a discussion on 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Purchase Help within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey WRX members, I need help with this '02 WRX. Before you click on the link, there are things you ...

Thumbs up 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Purchase Help

Hey WRX members,

I need help with this '02 WRX. Before you click on the link, there are things you need to know.
    Apparently this car is not street legal because the exhaust will emit emissions and pollute the environment.
    And the link says the guy only modded the boost gauge and the exhaust. But there are a few other modifications. Can you spot some others?
    Also, the price is a little 'sticky'. I want to pay 7 grand for this but its on sale for 9 grand. What is the reasonable price?
    Should I take this car to a mechanic?
    WHAT DO I DO??

2002 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STOCK! ONLY 95,000 MILES!

Thanks, appreciate the help. (if you decide to)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Purchase Help

I'd buy a car legal to drive. See the sticky threads in the purchasing forum.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by subaruFTW View Post
    Apparently this car is not street legal because the exhaust will emit emissions and pollute the environment.
    I have yet to find a car with an exhaust that doesn't emit emissions.....

What makes you say this one isn't street legal?

And the link says the guy only modded the boost gauge and the exhaust. But there are a few other modifications. Can you spot some others?
    Wheels, shift knob, debadged, head unit (possibly speakers and other components then too), tinted side markers, tinted rear windows (maybe, really hard to tell in these pics), maybe more hard to tell with crappy pics!

Also, the price is a little 'sticky'. I want to pay 7 grand for this but its on sale for 9 grand. What is the reasonable price?
    So call and offer 7 and see if he'll take it. If not, then you know to look elsewhere. A reasonable price considering the 90k service was completed and it has newish tires is probably about 7-8k, maybe 9.

Should I take this car to a mechanic?
    Only if you're seriously considering buying it.

WHAT DO I DO??
    Find out about the price, check it out in person, and take it for a test drive. Get a full service history and a mechanical inspection if that goes well. Then either buy it or don't.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

^This
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I have yet to find a car with an exhaust that doesn't emit emissions.....
    What makes you say this one isn't street legal?
    Exactly what I was thinking. I'd be more worried about a bugeye that DIDN'T have emissions (i.e. non-running)

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Wheels, shift knob, debadged, head unit (possibly speakers and other components then too), tinted side markers, tinted rear windows (maybe, really hard to tell in these pics), maybe more hard to tell with crappy pics!
    A few clarifications: the wheels themselves are stock, but they appear to be plasti-dipped, maybe powder coated. I'm about 95% sure that head unit is stock, though. Other mods: shift knob, possible short throw shifter, the boost gauge as mentioned, and Koji-style painted headlights, which means the lights have been opened and might be prone to condensation.

On the engine side: the ram air scoop is missing, so I'd say it's had the intake silencer delete, and there are extra wires around the battery and ground. Amp/sub, maybe? Could be just a grounding kit too, I suppose. It's missing the plastic cover over the boost control solenoid (between the top hat and intake). They are pretty flimsy, so it might have just broken, or someone messed with the boost control. Missing the radiator cover trim.

The last thing the seller doesn't mention is a tune for that turbo back exhaust. While bugeyes can technically run a TBE with the factory tune, there's no benefit to doing so. It should have a Stage II tune for those modifications. It really bugs me the seller says continually insists the car is stock, when an aftermarket full exhaust is clearly NOT STOCK...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

The car isn't stock...it clearly states "Turbo Back exhaust" which means the downpipe with the catalysts have been removed...ergo not technically "street legal." If you have to get it inspected/emissions/registered...be prepared to have to put a stock downpipe on to pass those.

Offer 7k...if you don't get it for $7500-$7900, walk. INSIST that it's not a stock car and that you need to make changes to get it registered legally (then you can go catless all you want. Many of us are ourselves...including me )
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Pm me the VIN and I will check history for you.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html