Found this decent 2005 STi is it worth it?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Found this decent 2005 STi is it worth it? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; So I've been looking for a WRX in the 15k price range. I then came across this. 2005 Subaru STI ...

So I've been looking for a WRX in the 15k price range. I then came across this. 2005 Subaru STI.

What is everyone's opinion on this car? It does seem to be heavily modded but if all the work was done at a reputable shop with receipts could it be a safe buy? I noticed he had listed it a month ago when I searched for the post title on google. Not really sure what that means, maybe he is having trouble selling it for some reason.

I'd probably start with an offer of 14k and possibly meet in the middle. But is it even worth it?

I'd appreciate any advice as a newbie to the Subaru scene.

-Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    nope.

i didnt even read past the first 3 items in the mod list.

i personally would not buy a heavily modified subaru, regardless of receipts or shop. its just too risky to take over a potential headache.

for 15k, you can probably find a 1 owner stock 06ish wrx with average mileage

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Bobby at PRE is a well known and highly respected Subaru tuner. Call him and ask him if the car is at a good happy place with its mods.

Beyond that, it is up to you to decide if you want a modified Subaru or not. Putting that many on after the fact is a very expensive game to play. It is also expensive if anything goes wrong.

I have no idea on whether the price is fair.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX

I'm in Portland, so I'm familiar with Subaru pricing around here and yeah, that price seems to reflect typical market value. Maybe a bit high, but not outrageous. PRE is a very well-respected tuning house (I've been there myself), so give them a call and get a bit of background on the car if you can.

I would echo what others have said about buying modified Subarus though. It's a risky game, and there have been way too many sob stories of buying highly modified cars on here for me to consider doing it.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There have also been a bunch of people that scored sweet deals though. Ingo comes to mind.

Ask the seller if they will take it to PRE with you for a checkup.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    There have also been a bunch of people that scored sweet deals though. Ingo comes to mind.
    True, but they seem to be in the vast minority. I'm not a gambling man, so I don't like those odds. Ingo did get an amazing deal, though.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.