Looking to buy 03 wrx. It has some upgrades...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking to buy 03 wrx. It has some upgrades... within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I was just looking at this wrx and I was looking for a clean slate but this one doesnt have ...

Looking to buy 03 wrx. It has some upgrades...

I was just looking at this wrx and I was looking for a clean slate but this one doesnt have too many upgrades, but I read its really risky to buy a car with some performance upgrades but these dont seem to serious. Just looking for some input from some of you guys.

$8000 (with room to negotiate) with 91k miles. 2.0l 5 spd

Cobb AP v2 (I know its an ECU but idk what specifically it does)
    borla down pipe to the muffler
    sti blue injectors think they are 565cc. (bought them used with 9,000 miles on them)
    no name brand cold air intake and piping.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I see no point in the injectors as listed. Either the car had more modifications that have now been removed, or that was the intention but it never materialized (like my broken dreams), or the owner did not know what to do with some money.

Also keep in mind as listed the car is illegal to drive on public roads anywhere in the western world.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I see no point in the injectors as listed. Either the car had more modifications that have now been removed, or that was the intention but it never materialized (like my broken dreams), or the owner did not know what to do with some money.

Also keep in mind as listed the car is illegal to drive on public roads anywhere in the western world.
    Said it passed inspection. Why would it be illegal?

HKS ssqv bov also on the list

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by patriotfan11 View Post
    Said it passed inspection. Why would it be illegal?
    Because:

Quote Originally Posted by patriotfan11 View Post
    borla down pipe to the muffler
    no name brand cold air intake and piping.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

OO i thought problem with ECU or something. Noise isnt a huge deal for me. Cops leave me alone because im a volunteer firefighter, doesnt make me above, but my civic is loud as hell and they just wave at me.

Anyway, other than the noise, do you think i should pursue this? Its within my budget and has pretty much the upgrades I was going to do myself in it already.

Any questions I should ask him other than the "why fuel injectors?" question?
    Last edited by patriotfan11; 08-23-2012 at 02:39 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would not pursue it personally because:
    1. The car is illegal because two catalytic converters have been removed and the intake has been replaced with incorrect parts.
    2. It has been modified and I am not a good mechanic, so I'd prefer an unmodified car.
    3. It has been modified in a manner that suggests either the previous owner went farther, wanted to go farther, or didn't know what to do.
    That's just me though. I'm sure others will respond with other views.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I would not pursue it personally because:
    1. The car is illegal because two catalytic converters have been removed and the intake has been replaced with incorrect parts.
    2. It has been modified and I am not a good mechanic, so I'd prefer an unmodified car.
    3. It has been modified in a manner that suggests either the previous owner went farther, wanted to go farther, or didn't know what to do.
    That's just me though. I'm sure others will respond with other views.
    Thank you for yours help. Ill see if he has the oem intake. My dad is a mechanic and he looks at each problem on our cars as an opportunity to either spend some father son time together or just as a learning experience as long as I buy the parts. These upgrades dont seem as risky as other ones that ive seen such as sti swaps, etc.

Ill dig some more info out of him.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well if you and your father want to make a mini project out of it that's another matter. For a daily driver sort of car and for the average person with below average mechanical skills I'd hesitate.

Cobb AP v2 is a means to TUNE the ECU. It is not the ECU. You're more than likely running Stage 2. Though why you have upgraded injectors is beyond me. Look at the turbo...find out if its perhaps a VF39 or something like that, which is a common upgrade to go with those injectors. Also, plug in the AP, and find out what map you are using. That can also tell you about the car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.