looking to buy a 2003 wrx with 100k miles on it, yes or no?

This is a discussion on looking to buy a 2003 wrx with 100k miles on it, yes or no? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Im new to the subaru world, haven't owned one yet but have wanted one for a while. I finally found ...

looking to buy a 2003 wrx with 100k miles on it, yes or no?

Im new to the subaru world, haven't owned one yet but have wanted one for a while. I finally found one that I like, 2003 sonic yellow! it's got 100k miles on it but the guy seems legit about taking care of the car and doesnt appear to be the type od guy who beats on it. I know, hard to tell but being in and out of car clubs you can usually tell the douche bags.

The guy is asking 9K but I think I can get him down since he's been trying to sell it for almost a year. For the most part it looks completely stock. It's not lowered, not tinted, there isn't even any fancy rims on it just factory alloys. So this is another plus for the car.

My question to you guys is what kind of issues have you seen with a wrx with 100k+ miles on it? What should I expect from this car? Should I expect any major issues sooner or later?

I know all cars have their faults, I am just checking to see what this car might have either now or within a year or 2. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Has the clutch been replaced? They usually go between 30,000-110,000 miles. $1100-$1600 to have dealer replace.
    Has the timing belt been replaced? 105k mile service and costs between $500-$900 to have done.
    Has the 90k mile service been done? about $500
    Is there any kind of service history?
    Has it been wrecked?
    What mods are on it?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

He has a service history, but he lived in alabama, then moved to NY, then to Boston where he is now. So he drove it from Alabama, to NY, then to boston. He gives the name of the dealer he works with now so Im sure they have a full history since he's been in the city.

From the look of the car it's completely stock. I haven't seen it in person yet, just pictures. Im hoping to go tomorrow or sunday to have a look in person. There are some corny racing stripes on it, but that looks to be the only mods on it.

edit:
    Got a reply from the seller of the car on the questions. The clutch is new as of last week. He said it busted on a trip to vermont in a rutted field. So clearly he isn't super easy on the car taking it through fields and such. He is not sure if the timing belt was changed but he does have the service record for the 90K service that was done. He also has the service records back to 78K miles because that's when he moved. He also said he's hit a few things but nothing that was moving, so Im assuming some parked cars in boston while parking, and things like that. Nothing that broke the bumper or cause the air bags to deploy. and he is the original owner.
    Last edited by Phobic; 08-17-2012 at 04:51 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Then the timing belt service hasnt been done. Its due at 105k.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    If he is the original owner he'd be sure whether the timing belt was changed. If he did it himself the experience would have been memorable; if he paid a mechanic that means he signed on the line for $700+ and he'd likely remember that too. It's a shame the answer was not direct but you must operate as if the answer were negative, and sequester an additional $700+ for a timely timing belt job plus water pump etc. in my view.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Cool, will do.

He's asking 9K and Im fairly certain I can get him down to 7 without issue since he's been selling it for almost a year and Im one of the few people to come look at the car. Here's hoping anyway.

Anyone with an 01-03 that can let me know their experiences with it? the good, the bad? Thanks everyone who's posted.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Phobic View Post
    Cool, will do.
    Here's hoping anyway.

Anyone with an 01-03 that can let me know their experiences with it? the good, the bad? Thanks everyone who's posted.
    There is a whole forum of info here on the 02-03 wrx experiences when you get ready.

Ask him how often he has changed the transmission fluid.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have had an '03 since new, and have read a thread or two on here regarding problems people have.

There is a good chance for the radiator to crack.

You will end up doing a wheel bearing eventually.

The front right axle boot will tear.

You have to watch the oil level.

The cat in the uppipe has to come out (good power modification though).

If you are rough on it, you may bust a gear. There was a significant improvement in the strength of the gears in the later bugeyes and you can tell by a code on one of the placards. I forget the details on the code.

On the plus side, it is the most raw driving experience of the line, and looks the best IMO. People get hundreds of thousands of miles out of them even with fairly extensive modifications as long as you stick with the proven paths and keep an eye on things. There is a ton of good aftermarket stuff out used or new.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

He actually already has changed all the bearings! so another win for this ride.

I planned on removing the car in the uppipe as one of my first mods as well.

Thanks man!!! really appreciate the the honest input!

so I test drove the 03 today and it shifts great, has the BA tranny, and a brand new clutch.

I got him to agree to 7K for it so I think it's a go. hoping by this time next week I have an 03 wrx sitting in my driveway.

Good luck!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a good ride. There are only 1500 sonic yellow.

I have one.

"From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

awesome! mine is a sedan and not in nearly as good of condition as that wagon you have. I plan on just driving it as is through the winter then making it nice in the spring, hopefully I can wait that long haha.