is this a good trade??

This is a discussion on is this a good trade?? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey everyone, I'm new to this site as of today so no idea if this will be in right spot ...

is this a good trade??

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site as of today so no idea if this will be in right spot or not. I'm new to subarus, but not new to racing and building cars. I have been doin my research tho and learning tons. I drive a stock 07 wrx but really want an Sti although a stage 2 wrx is ok I guess Haha. I was offered this deal and am basically wondering if this is worth an even trade. My stock 07 wrx for a 02 wrx with a complete jdm v8 Sti swap. Here's what dome to the car.

JDM Version8 STI engine
    APS 70mm cold air intake
    WRX OEM header
    VF30 turbo
    GrimmSpeed 3-port EBCS
    GrimmSpeed up-pipe w/ 44mm TiAL EWG kit (coated)
    Walbro 255 fuel pump
    STI pink injectors Helix Downpipe (catless)
    Custom Full 3" exhaust with borla hi-flow cat and muffler
    B^2. tuned

JDM Version8 STI 6mt DCCDpro controller

Buddy Club Racing Spec damping kit soJDM.com X-brace

JDM black chrome HID projector headlights w/ 8000K bulb
    JDM STI ver7 front grille (Authentic)
    JDM STI scoop (Authentic)
    Hella supertone horn(pink) w/ SM Hella superstone bracket
    Version8 taillights (JDM mods) Fog cover VARIS carbon fiber B pillar STI carbon fiber side markers Painted Side skirts Version8 Sti gauge cluster LED interior lights SR48 open end lug nuts –Neo Chrome

New front passenger side wheel bearing.

New front drilled and slotte rotors and pads. August 2011

New rear pads, and resurfaced rotors. April 2012

Sti Trunk lid and spoiler. April 2012

Rally Armour mud flaps may 2012.

Grimmspeed antenna delete plate and hidden antenna. Winter 2012

Gold Rota G-force, and Nankang ns-1 tires. April 2012

Swoosh boost gauge. Winter 2012

Triple gauge pod with hood. Winter 2012

Fog lights. Winter 2012

Said makes 330whp. Wondering what the opinions are. Thanks!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    No. Dont do it.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    No. Dont do it.
    Can I ask y not?

I Support ClubWRX
    You want to trade a street legal car made by Subaru for another car that is neither street legal nor made by Subaru. Why?

If I were you and really wanted the 02 swap I'd buy it outright.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nuspeed4u View Post
    Can I ask y not?
    Short Answer: Its heavily modified

Long Answer: That car is too modified. Take it from someone who has modified cars, gotten rid of modified cars and bought a modified cars. Modified cars = problems in some fashion. The more you do, the more problems there will be. Also, you're talking about a car that has a foreign engine in it, meaning, there was a motor swap...def a red flag.

I'm not saying that the car doesn't work or you won't be able to drive it but ultimately you're going to be fixing the previous owners mistakes. Thats how it works. Why get rid of your reliable vehicle and take on someone elses project that looks good from the outside but may be a nightmare underneath?

Short story...had a friend who was looking for a WRX, found a bugeye in excellent condition body wise, had a rebuilt motor and looked great. Drive it for a day, left school and wouldn't start. Took him 6 months before he could actually drive it and even when he could it would stall all over the place. That car had a laundry list of modifications from rebuilt motor and standalone ECU. The catch is that he didn't even have a motor issue, this was all outside of the engine.

So just cause something looks good, doesn't mean it is. Unless its you who is doing the work, error on the side of the previous owner not doing anything 100% correct
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    No. Dont do it.
    +1
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Nope, not even with cash on top!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you want a modded bugeye and like that one, buy it, it's your money and life is short. Keep your existing car though because, well, life is short and you don't want to be car-less if at all avoidable. If you like the bugeye get it but with your eyes open and your checkbook ready afterwards.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ok sounds good. However guess I didn't explain myself. As far as modified vehicles are concerned I know all about that. I have owned several and do own modified vehicles. Spend a good part of my time racing...drag...autocross. I know my way around vehicles. I said I was new to subaru. Never worked on them. I don't know all the strengths n limitations of motors, turbos, trannys, diffs, axles etc...yet.my wrx is going to be stage 2 short n maybe more. Guessing the driveline becomes an issue. I guess all I was asking is that a reliable build. I know the shop that built it. Also the car is street legal as i live in canada. was just curious. Got off on the wrong foot lol.

eh i honestly feel like its not cost effective in your pocket. when it comes around for you to get rid of it, it will be a nightmare

I Support ClubWRX
    I think I'd investigate the value of your unmolested 07 WRX and start talking with dealers about looking for an unmolested 06 or 07 STi. That'd be the way to go if all you want is an STi You'd be spending a lot more money in the long run trading for a modified car like the one you mentioned.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it!! Gonna tell buddy its a no go.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good call. Buying into such a heavily modified Subaru is a total crapshoot, and the odds aren't good for you. This is especially true if you aren't familiar with these cars. Having general modification experience helps, but Subarus are quirky cars...

You should be able to find an unmolested 04-05 STI for a reasonable trade with a little cash on your end. 06-07s would be the same story, just a bit more cash. Either of those options would be my target. Good luck!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson