2004 WRx sport wagon help?

This is a discussion on 2004 WRx sport wagon help? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I've already read the 152 point to inspect. This guy is selling ...

2004 WRx sport wagon help?

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I've already read the 152 point to inspect. This guy is selling me a 04 wrx and have about 153k miles. Here's the link that I got the info from: 04 Subaru WRX sport wagon.
    Now I saw the car today and everything looked nice. We were talking and I talked him down to 6500 and he agreed. Is this too sketchy? The title is under his fathers name (co signed) and he's around his late 20s I'd say. The reason he's selling is because he needs money for a house. I really like it and I'm a new stick driver so when I went from 3 to 4th the shifter kinda bounced to neutral. Idk if that was my poor shifting or the car because he took it for a spin and it didn't jam on him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If I were crazy enough to change oil every 2,5k I'd keep all the receipts. In fact I don't change before 5k (I'm nutty but not entirely irretrievably gone) and I still keep receipts (I keep the filters too but that's mental illness more than anything else).

Where are his receipts?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'd ask for another test drive and see if you can get that gear shifting problem to happen again.

I'd highly recommend getting the car inspected by a mechanic you trust. It shouldn't cost you more than $100 and can save you thousands.

I'd also make sure you get receipts on the other maintenance performed on the car like the timing belt, coolant, brake fluid, and in general anything and everything that's been done.

If you do go ahead with the purchase, you need to make sure the father is there to sign the title at the time of purchase. Overall the car looks very clean. That window tint definitely looks too dark to be legal in MA so I'd expect you're going to get pulled over and ticketed for it at some point.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

The guy does his own oil changes and stuff. That's what he said, that's why I'm kinda skeptical too. Most deff I should bring it to a mechanic and have them check it out right? And for the tints, he's going to remove them.

I Support ClubWRX
    I do my own oil also. Where are his receipts? Also, does he have receipts? Receipts?
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I do my own oil also. Where are his receipts? Also, does he have receipts? Receipts?
    What do you mean by receipts? Like in general? like when he purchased the oil for change? I'm so confused D:

I Support ClubWRX
    I keep a binder with all receipts for all parts and expendables used during routine maintenance. Oil, filters, spark plugs, belts, brake fluid, brake pads, discs, clutch, timing belt, everything.

Find his.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Subfan93 View Post
    What do you mean by receipts? Like when he purchased the oil for change?
    Exactly. I keep the receipt from the parts purchase w/ a photo of the odometer for maintenance work I perform myself.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    Exactly. I keep the receipt from the parts purchase w/ a photo of the odometer for maintenance work I perform myself.
    So if he doesn't have any... then don't buy? :/

I Support ClubWRX
    I won't say that. Just be more diligent in your examination. Definitely have a mechanic you trust inspect the car.

But if he doesn't have any evidence, you have no reason to believe he was servicing the vehicle as frequently as previously noted. He may have serviced it every 2500, but now it can't be proven.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I Support ClubWRX
    It's your money. All I can tell you is that the gamble has now increased. There is no reason to believe anything said without receipts. (Incidentally, believing someone is changing the oil every 2.500 mi is not what I'd consider realistic, but that's just me; with no receipts, it's in my view an enormous leap of faith).