My Ordered WRX was damaged in Japan
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on My Ordered WRX was damaged in Japan within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; So after my ETA of 5/4 came and went, and week after week of “it should be here shortly”, I ...

Unhappy My Ordered WRX was damaged in Japan

So after my ETA of 5/4 came and went, and week after week of “it should be here shortly”, I finally found out what the issue is.

The dealer was just notified of the following:
    This vehicle was damaged by weather in Japan and shipped anyway. It is being repaired to NEW vehicle condition but damage costs are high.

Wind/sand damage – Front windshield, front bumper cover, right fender, left fender, right rear door, right quarter panel.
    I have been assured that it is being reconditioned to just like New. What do you guys think about this? Should I reject the order now and wait for a 2013, or still accept the car? What would you do if this happened to you?

Right now, I'm leaning towards just accepting it, and hoping SOA will throw in some accessories for the trouble. The damage is barely noticeable in the pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRX Damage.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	105424

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

it's hard to say without looking up close at the damage, but they look pretty minor. is there any way to possibly buff them out?

my concern would be what exactly they will be doing to get it to "LIKE NEW" condition. if they are going to be repainting all those areas, i would either reject it or take it as is. to repaint even a small knick like that will actually mean they have to repaint a pretty large area to blend the paint in. for all of those small knicks, that is a lot of respray, with clearcoat on top. unless you know the body shop and the work they do, there a strong likelihood that it won't be perfect and you will be able to notice. respray is never as high quality as the original paint and never takes the abuse over the years like new paint does.

i have had a couple minor accidents in my wrx over the years and although the best bodyshop that i took it to did a really nice looking job, if you get up close and really look, there are a couple minor imperfections. of course, mine is older and already beat up enough that it doesn't matter. on a brand new car with little knicks like that, the imperfections in the respray might be worse in the long run than leaving it as is.

just my 2 cents.

*NOTE: i am a perfectionist when it comes to paint, and i have only ONCE seen bodyshop work done that met my expectations of perfection, which means i couldn't tell and it looked factory perfect. i have seen a lot of cars with respray, and you can tell on pretty much all of them if you look close enough. usually you notice when you are washing and waxing it.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0L
    2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 5.4L
    2005 Toyota Solara SE 2.4L

Why reject it now? Wait to the car gets to the dealer and if they did a bad job on the repairs then wait for a 2013.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
    it's hard to say without looking up close at the damage, but they look pretty minor. is there any way to possibly buff them out?

my concern would be what exactly they will be doing to get it to "LIKE NEW" condition. if they are going to be repainting all those areas, i would either reject it or take it as is. to repaint even a small knick like that will actually mean they have to repaint a pretty large area to blend the paint in. for all of those small knicks, that is a lot of respray, with clearcoat on top. unless you know the body shop and the work they do, there a strong likelihood that it won't be perfect and you will be able to notice. respray is never as high quality as the original paint and never takes the abuse over the years like new paint does.

i have had a couple minor accidents in my wrx over the years and although the best bodyshop that i took it to did a really nice looking job, if you get up close and really look, there are a couple minor imperfections. of course, mine is older and already beat up enough that it doesn't matter. on a brand new car with little knicks like that, the imperfections in the respray might be worse in the long run than leaving it as is.

just my 2 cents.
    ...BUT the paint on our WRXs is notoriously thin/soft/crappy. As long as the shop is reputable and does a good job, wouldn't it be good to have a little more paint on there?

I would say let them repair it and take the car. Seriously, after a month of driving (if you commute like me) you're going to have those tiny marks anyway. These tiny dots don't affect the handling and performance, which is why we're buying the car anyway, right?

EDIT: And ask them to throw in some stuff. Don't be afraid to ask. Make sure you state the delay from the original ETA as justification, including the time it's going to take to get the car to you after it's fixed.
    Last edited by etnpnys; 06-01-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Why reject it now? Wait to the car gets to the dealer and if they did a bad job on the repairs then wait for a 2013.
    that's a good point, however it may be a lot harder to reject it after they spend the time and money on the repairs. if you can get the dealer to agree to that ahead of time, go for it, otherwise that could be a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    ...BUT the paint on our WRXs is notoriously thin/soft/crappy. As long as the shop is reputable and does a good job, wouldn't it be good to have a little more paint on there?

I would say let them repair it and take the car. Seriously, after a month of driving (if you commute like me) you're going to have those tiny marks anyway. These tiny dots don't affect the handling and performance, which is why we're buying the car anyway, right?
    i would want to see the damage. if it was light enough i would leave it as is, personally. it's not about the extra paint, it's about the quality of the job. factory paint, even cheap WRX paint is still better than any respray, IMO.

I Support ClubWRX
    That doesn't look that bad I have seen worse in TX after hail storms, those I may reject. By the pictures they look more like little rock chips
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

that's a good point, however it may be a lot harder to reject it after they spend the time and money on the repairs. if you can get the dealer to agree to that ahead of time, go for it, otherwise that could be a risk.
    If you didn't sign any paperwork, then you are not contractually bound to take the car. When you order, you order and put a deposit. You don't buy the car, until you sign the paperwork.

OP, if it's not up to your standards, then by all means, reject it. Personally, it does look like pretty minor damage. Given it's a new vehicle, they will probably replace anything they can first before trying to blend paint. You bought a Subaru...your car will already look like that by the time you get home from your first trip on a freeway
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    If you didn't sign any paperwork, then you are not contractually bound to take the car. When you order, you order and put a deposit. You don't buy the car, until you sign the paperwork.

OP, if it's not up to your standards, then by all means, reject it. Personally, it does look like pretty minor damage. Given it's a new vehicle, they will probably replace anything they can first before trying to blend paint. You bought a Subaru...your car will already look like that by the time you get home from your first trip on a freeway
    I stared too hard at my car and voided the warranty and chipped the hood all up.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by dj_red View Post
    So after my ETA of 5/4 came and went, and week after week of “it should be here shortly”, I finally found out what the issue is.

The dealer was just notified of the following:
    This vehicle was damaged by weather in Japan and shipped anyway. It is being repaired to NEW vehicle condition but damage costs are high.

Wind/sand damage – Front windshield, front bumper cover, right fender, left fender, right rear door, right quarter panel.
    I have been assured that it is being reconditioned to just like New. What do you guys think about this? Should I reject the order now and wait for a 2013, or still accept the car? What would you do if this happened to you?

Right now, I'm leaning towards just accepting it, and hoping SOA will throw in some accessories for the trouble. The damage is barely noticeable in the pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRX Damage.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	105424
    It's hard to say. If that truly the only damage (pictures) to the car ... I would accept it only if they did make it worth your while (spt accessories, longer warranty, etc ... ). That's if it's just a couple little "chips" and there's no other damage (i.e. dents with the chips). I would definitely not have the car painted ... that would only look worse and could give you issues down the line. You have to see the car in person though. Honestly, one long trip on the highway and you'll probably have the same little rock "chip" spots on the front bumper and rear view mirrors anyway. The paint on the subie's is pretty soft. I haven't even owned mine for a year yet and if you look at my car up close the front bumper is covered with the little chip spots showing the white primer ... very irritating. Not to mention there are a few on the hood and rear view mirrors. I drive on the highway maybe 8 miles everyday to get to work and I am very anal about not driving too close to other cars/trucks for this reason and I still get the "chips." So my feeling is that it will eventually happen anyways.

That's my 2 cents!
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

yep, just look at the front of the wrx. it screams road rash. too much vertical paint surface area in addition to cheap, soft paint. some cars just take a lot more abuse up front based on the design.

They're going to have to make the repairs regardless of whether they sell the car to you or someone else.

Personally, I would take the car, assuming it looks good after the repairs. Like others have said, you will have other imperfections after a few months, anyway.

The 2013 is a completely unknown quantity at this point, and you may have to wait a long time to get one. Plus it's likely you will pay full MSRP

It's a lot more common than most people realize for cars to have touch up paint work done prior to delivery to the dealer. It's usually done at the port of entry and not the dealer.

As others have said, they're going to do the work anyway, so just check out the car when it comes to the dealer and decide at that point if it looks new or not.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    For me it would depend on how bad I needed a ride. If I could wait, I'd definately wait for the '13. I not I'd take it as is and look for a $1K plus discount. It will get nicked up sooner or later.
    Last edited by ea126405; 06-01-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: .
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

Thanks for everyone’s insights.
    The car is currently at the port and will be repaired regardless, so I won’t be able to see the car until after it hits the dealer lot.
    It would be nice if I could inspect the car before any repairs and opt for the $3k discount instead of going towards the repair estimate.
    I will end up waiting a few more weeks for it to get to the dealer, then will inspect it to make sure everything is as it should be. If it doesn’t look how I think it should, I will hold off for something else.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.