My Ordered WRX was damaged in Japan - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on My Ordered WRX was damaged in Japan within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; "factory" respray? Please that is BS, unless new panels were sent from the factory (then you'd have to worry about ...

I Support ClubWRX
    "factory" respray? Please that is BS, unless new panels were sent from the factory (then you'd have to worry about the match).

If I did not get a chance to see the car, in person prior to the "repair to new vehicle condition", I'd reject the car outright. I know it makes sense to have this work performed quickly, but I trust dealers as far as I can throw them (actually less). Then again, if I was caught short, needed a car and an suitable, alternate vehicle was not available I might consider it. Yes, I would want a sizable discount. The factory paint has been resprayed and the value of the car has dropped as a result. Trust me, anyone who knows cars and looks closely will know how many panels were spray. The more panels affected, the more the value of the car is affected adversely. Resale is a bitch when this happens.

Sorry for being a Negative Nelly, that is the way buyers will see it when it is time to sell.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ea126405 View Post
    "factory" respray? Please that is BS, unless new panels were sent from the factory (then you'd have to worry about the match).
    Before I bought my WRX I found a hole in the front bumper. It looked like a lot boy hit a curb. They fixed the hole and resprayed half the bumper. That half of the bumper had better paint than the other half, and it was the same color. It might be easier to match white, but as I said before as long as it looks new then there is no need to pass on the car because it is new.

I declined the car the same day. The saleswoman I was dealing with was fantastic. She was very apologetic and went out of her way to find me a replacement vehicle. She spent yesterday afternoon trying to find a dealer who would release their car and eventually did a dealer swap for another color. The car was collected from LA this morning, driven down, checked over, cleaned and I picked it up this evening. They even knocked another $250 off for my inconvenience.

So I bought a "new" car with 200 miles on it. Identical to the one I ordered a month ago, minus the half-car respray job. Knowing that there were other vehicles available, I simply couldn't consider taking a resprayed car. The paint job is never as good as it is from the factory. Had there not been any other cars around, I might have then considered taking the respray. But I really think I would have still declined and waited for the next model year.

So after my massive disappointment this week, to see my shiny car waiting for me brought on an uncontrollable smile. I'm so excited to have it. Finally. Slightly concerned to have picked up a police car tail for a few miles on the way home though - doing the speed limit. I hope this will not become a trend....

Looks like things worked out great!
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    So I bought a "new" car with 200 miles on it. Identical to the one I ordered a month ago, minus the half-car respray job. Knowing that there were other vehicles available, I simply couldn't consider taking a resprayed car. The paint job is never as good as it is from the factory. Had there not been any other cars around, I might have then considered taking the respray. But I really think I would have still declined and waited for the next model year.
    That's the thing...compared to the crappy Subaru factory paint, a respray is pretty much guaranteed to be better quality

Glad things worked out for you and the dealer went out of their way to make you a happy customer. Good service.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by hindude View Post
    Also, what kind of dumb*ss truck driver drives a bunch of exposed new cars through a sand storm???

Scoobvirgin, did you have a VIN before they told you about the damage?
    They still needa do their job, whether or not it's through a sandstorm. Plus, it's not their car so why would they care? This is probably what he's thinking "Not my car, whatever." It's a new car yes, but honestly... I'd just have them repaint/repair then take it with a reduction in price. Yeah, it sucks having dings on it, but you can't even tell they're there at all unless you look close. HOWEVER it is new so.. I'd be irritated too, but a dealership will take care of you no matter what.

I declined the car the same day. The saleswoman I was dealing with was fantastic. She was very apologetic and went out of her way to find me a replacement vehicle. She spent yesterday afternoon trying to find a dealer who would release their car and eventually did a dealer swap for another color. The car was collected from LA this morning, driven down, checked over, cleaned and I picked it up this evening. They even knocked another $250 off for my inconvenience.

So after my massive disappointment this week, to see my shiny car waiting for me brought on an uncontrollable smile. I'm so excited to have it. Finally. Slightly concerned to have picked up a police car tail for a few miles on the way home though - doing the speed limit. I hope this will not become a trend....
    I don't know I think I would have rather had the car with some minor respray and low miles than a car with 200 of I don't know how they were put on miles - those are precious break-in miles, right?

It's already covered in a layer of dust from being left in my drive overnight (I live on the down-wind side of a dirt road)....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRX Front.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	105527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRX Rear.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	105528

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    That's the thing...compared to the crappy Subaru factory paint, a respray is pretty much guaranteed to be better quality

Glad things worked out for you and the dealer went out of their way to make you a happy customer. Good service.
    Subaru's paint is that bad?? My wife has an '07 outback and - so far - the paint looks just fine on that. But it's still early days, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hung_Wei_Lo View Post
    I don't know I think I would have rather had the car with some minor respray and low miles than a car with 200 of I don't know how they were put on miles - those are precious break-in miles, right?
    Well, this wasn't what I'd consider to be "minor respray", when it's several panels and an estimate of $2800. But I was also concerned about the mileage my "new" car would come with. I was adamant (hey - that says "Adam Ant"!) that I would not take a car that had done 100 miles in test drives. A Forester? Outback? Yeah, probably. But a WRX is not a car that most people want to test drive gently. I used to sell cars, so I know how many time wasters come in with no intention of buying a car, but just want a test drive. The people who thrash the nuts off the engine won't buy one.... in most cases.

My saleslady told me that she could see from her system that the car available from another dealer was originally sent to yet another dealer about 50 miles away (it had 57 miles on at this time). So add the 140 miles to drive the car down to my dealership, and it arrived with exactly 197 miles. If it had been test driven, it would have been only once. How it was driven between dealerships on the two occasions before getting to me, I don't know. After expressing concern (about that too) to my saleslady, she promised me they hire a professional company to inspect the car at collection and driver it carefully. It could have been driven down by a 19yr old. But it also could have been driven down by a very laid back, retired gentleman. I was content to take my chances on that rather than 10 test drives. But I bought a 7yr/70k extended warranty, so I'm content.

Yea you're right - test drive miles are really only what you should be concerned with. My dealer wouldn't even let anybody test drive the car I bought unless they were willing to do a credit check first.

Well your looks awesome. Makes me wish I got DGM color.

i only read post number 1 first thing, BUYING A BRAND NEW CAR! SHOULD NEVER HAVE damaged done... only when u take off with the car ( meaning u damage it later on or accident etc ) i would never buy a brand new car with an accident history... ( including what happen like ur i would say thats a history under car name )
    Anyways any damage to a car i wouldnt say its new... even if its repaired to NEW? doesn't make it new.

Quote Originally Posted by Hung_Wei_Lo View Post
    ...Well your looks awesome. Makes me wish I got DGM color.
    Thanks! I have my wife to thank for that. I was originally looking for a WRB hatch, but after test driving one we pulled up in front of a DGM sedan (not the premium model I wanted). My wife pointed out that I'd likely attract less attention from the police in a DGM. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by jwongx27 View Post
    ...Anyways any damage to a car i wouldnt say its new... even if its repaired to NEW? doesn't make it new.
    I completely agree. The problem is, with these cars in high demand and the factory order bank being closed for now, dealers have no incentive to discount a resprayed car. They know they can sell it to someone else as a brand new car without them ever knowing. Unless you get lucky and your dealership actually cares about its customers and getting repeat business.

Glad it worked out. I probably would have simply declined the car. Very few dealerships have the ability to repaint and match not only color, but also match texture, orange peel and sheen. Since a repair of that cost has to be disclosed, and will show up on CarFax, I would expect perhaps a $2500 discount. Otherwise, you did the right thing, move on, find another car. Also, at least here in Florida, all the dealers have WRX's and STI's that came in in the past week or so.

It's already covered in a layer of dust from being left in my drive overnight (I live on the down-wind side of a dirt road)....

Subaru's paint is that bad?? My wife has an '07 outback and - so far - the paint looks just fine on that. But it's still early days, I guess.
    For the most part, yeah. It's relatively thin. If you do a lot of highway miles through dust and stuff, you're going to see the chips and pitting quicker than most (but that's with any car I suppose). Just search around if you don't believe me. The paint and the sound system are always the first things complained about with WRXs

Quote Originally Posted by jwongx27 View Post
    i only read post number 1 first thing, BUYING A BRAND NEW CAR! SHOULD NEVER HAVE damaged done... only when u take off with the car ( meaning u damage it later on or accident etc ) i would never buy a brand new car with an accident history... ( including what happen like ur i would say thats a history under car name )
    Anyways any damage to a car i wouldnt say its new... even if its repaired to NEW? doesn't make it new.
    Damage likely won't ever show up on a report. The car hadn't technically been delivered yet, so it hasn't been sold.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Nice car. DGM FTW!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Hey, OP - any news on the repair work to your car yet?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.