What accessories would you want if you were ordering a new WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What accessories would you want if you were ordering a new WRX within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey everyone, When ordering cars for stock here, we are encouraged to order accessories on them by Subaru. As my ...

I Support ClubWRX

What accessories would you want if you were ordering a new WRX

Hey everyone,
    When ordering cars for stock here, we are encouraged to order accessories on them by Subaru. As my ClubWRX car buying program has been very successful thus far, I anticipate being able to get even more 2013s from Subaru once they are available. I'd like to get an idea which accessories you guys would order your car with. So far the SPT shifter seems to be far and away the #1 thing everyone wants and I have started adding those to in stock cars before they are delivered. What else would you want to see on your new WRX?
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I find the OE short shifter to be a waste, personally. There isn't much of an improvement in feel or throw length. Anyone who spends time in an online community will see talk of the aftermarket alternatives, and once they row through the gears in a car that has them, will be left wishing they hadn't spent the money on the OE version. If you're selling a lot of them, go for it, but most buyers who come online to research and asking about the OE setup will be steered away, so it will not be a "bargaining chip".

Armrest extension. As someone who's tall, this is key for me on long trips.

Auto-Dim Mirror (w/ or w/o HL)

Side Window Deflectors. I leave my windows cracked every chance I get. Having rain get taken off my "don't crack when ______" list would be nice.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Of the options I got with my 2011 WRX, the car was already on the truck for delivery when I found it online and figured I'd be happy with what was on it rather than waiting to order exactly what I'd like, I got:

110V Power Outlet Kit - Pass
    All Weather Mats - Keep
    Auto Dimming Mirror/Compass - Keep
    Armrest Extension - Keep
    OE Short Shifter - Pass

The most important thing was that it was the Base model, not sure if you're wondering about model as much as accessories but figured I'd mention that. The 110V power outlet is only 100W which is pretty limited. Actually wondered if I got the short shifter or not cause it didn't seem like any difference, until I read its only about a 10% difference in shift throw.

But, the auto dimming mirror is a great option; compass, meh. All weather mats I like being Subaru brand cause they fit well. And armrest extension for me as well, cause I'm tall.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I find the OE short shifter to be a waste, personally. There isn't much of an improvement in feel or throw length. Anyone who spends time in an online community will see talk of the aftermarket alternatives, and once they row through the gears in a car that has them, will be left wishing they hadn't spent the money on the OE version. If you're selling a lot of them, go for it, but most buyers who come online to research and asking about the OE setup will be steered away, so it will not be a "bargaining chip".

Armrest extension. As someone who's tall, this is key for me on long trips.

Auto-Dim Mirror (w/ or w/o HL)

Side Window Deflectors. I leave my windows cracked every chance I get. Having rain get taken off my "don't crack when ______" list would be nice.
    Thanks for your input. I know a lot of guys prefer the Kartboy shifter and such but like 80% of my customers here ordered the spt anyway so those are in by popular demand. I don't like doing the mirrors for stock because you never know if the customer is going to want homelink or not, better to just do it at the dealer since it is minimal labor. The armrest extension is a good thought, thats one I would add to my car too. I honestly never had anyone order the vent visors, I'll have to look into those too.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good tip on the 110v outlet, I did not know that. I will stay away from those. All weather mats are very nice, but a lot of guys on here seem to prefer weather tech which I admit are very nice. Plus the All weather mats are no labor to install and we keep those in stock, so I really don't need to add them to stock cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by brew04 View Post
    Of the options I got with my 2011 WRX, the car was already on the truck for delivery when I found it online and figured I'd be happy with what was on it rather than waiting to order exactly what I'd like, I got:

110V Power Outlet Kit - Pass
    All Weather Mats - Keep
    Auto Dimming Mirror/Compass - Keep
    Armrest Extension - Keep
    OE Short Shifter - Pass

The most important thing was that it was the Base model, not sure if you're wondering about model as much as accessories but figured I'd mention that. The 110V power outlet is only 100W which is pretty limited. Actually wondered if I got the short shifter or not cause it didn't seem like any difference, until I read its only about a 10% difference in shift throw.

But, the auto dimming mirror is a great option; compass, meh. All weather mats I like being Subaru brand cause they fit well. And armrest extension for me as well, cause I'm tall.
    To those of you with a garage door, would you really rather have the garage door buttons on your rear view mirror, or would you rather save $100 and use your regular garage door opener?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486
    Thanks for your input. I know a lot of guys prefer the Kartboy shifter and such but like 80% of my customers here ordered the spt anyway so those are in by popular demand.
    If customers are getting them installed at your dealership, it is a good gesture (to save them the install labor).

I don't like doing the mirrors for stock because you never know if the customer is going to want homelink or not, better to just do it at the dealer since it is minimal labor.
    Understood. Just keep a stock of each on-hand so there isn't downtime

The armrest extension is a good thought, thats one I would add to my car too.
    For someone who's short, that's an undesired feature. I wouldn't go too aggressive with ordering that one.

I honestly never had anyone order the vent visors, I'll have to look into those too.
    I'm a smoker. Being able to air out my car is important.

To those of you with a garage door, would you really rather have the garage door buttons on your rear view mirror, or would you rather save $100 and use your regular garage door opener?
    I wish my car had the HL mirror. I have an electric garage opener, but there are three cars and only two remotes. As of now, I have to use the keypad, since I'm lowest on the totem pole. Plus, I like the integration aspect of it, not having another accessory hanging around; I have enough as-is.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok, so far I am thinking orders should be:
    All weather mats (a cheap one I can throw in)
    Armrest extension ( I figure if you don't like it the factory gives you the shorty in the box anyway so just swap them)
    Spt Shifter with spt shifter bushings (if I can have the factory do the bushings, I'm not 100% on that)
    sti 5 speed shift knob

This should only add like 350-400 to the base price and keep my rep from Subaru happy while also having some value/usefulness to buyers who can't wait for an order.

Having my first subaru before finding my new 12 wrx, they both had the problem of short armrests. Not sure who designed it this way, but the Armrest extension was great. I'm only 5'6, and it was useful to me.

All weathers are def. preferred by those who live anywhere remote to snow. I can't really speak for the short shifter, but there are cheaper aftermarket options that I've had friends use over the SPT one. Kartboy, Cobb, etc...

My car is coming with fogs (base model) and the short shifter. I'm pretty happy I didn't get many more options. Although the all weather floor mats and rear bumper protection cover I wouldn't have minded, but I didn't order my car.

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    Ok, so far I am thinking orders should be:
    All weather mats (a cheap one I can throw in)
    Armrest extension ( I figure if you don't like it the factory gives you the shorty in the box anyway so just swap them)
    Spt Shifter with spt shifter bushings (if I can have the factory do the bushings, I'm not 100% on that)
    sti 5 speed shift knob

This should only add like 350-400 to the base price and keep my rep from Subaru happy while also having some value/usefulness to buyers who can't wait for an order.
    Does that mean you can throw in the all weather mats for me =X lol.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Personally, I wouldn't go for any of the accessories.

I tried to get one with as few/cheap options as possible. Mine came with wheel locks, blue LED foot-well lighting, the MOMO shift knob, auto-dimming mirror w/compass, and that's about it. I'm actually pleased with all of those things and would recommend any of them. I really like the shift knob, but I understand everybody has their own tastes. I kinda wish I had red foot-well lights so I may change that out. I like my weathertechs too, but I was close to getting the Subaru mats as they are pretty nice. I test drove a car with short shifter and will agree that an aftermarket one is much more noticeable (although I still enjoyed the Subaru one).

I've been thinking about getting roof bars, the hatch tray/mat, and the hatch bumper cover as well though.

Auto-dim mirror and cargo mat.
    Not being blinded by lifted trucks at dusk and saving my car from spilled beer has been great so far.
    Nothing else is fine with me as I actually forget that I have a compass on the mirror.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Auto-dim mirror.
    Not being blinded by lifted trucks at dusk has been great so far.
    Nothing else is fine with me as I actually forget that I have a compass.

I've had two Subarus with the auto-dim mirror.. both broke and became opaque. I'm now back to using the regular mirror from my first WRX I bought in 2002 and it's still crystal clear.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I've had two Subarus with the auto-dim mirror.. both broke and became opaque. I'm now back to using the regular mirror from my first WRX I bought in 2002 and it's still crystal clear.
    Yeah, my autodim mirror is broken on my 02... They seem to have a 7 year shelf life in my experience. My clubwrx buying program has been so popular that I am pretty much ordering all the WRX's I can just to fill you guys orders at this point with no extra spots for in stock cars, but if Subaru will give me more I tend to order them with just all weather mats, armrest extensions, and cargo trays for the hatchbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    Yeah, my autodim mirror is broken on my 02... They seem to have a 7 year shelf life in my experience. My clubwrx buying program has been so popular that I am pretty much ordering all the WRX's I can just to fill you guys orders at this point with no extra spots for in stock cars, but if Subaru will give me more I tend to order them with just all weather mats, armrest extensions, and cargo trays for the hatchbacks.
    I'll be happy if my wrx come with either the mat or armrest ext.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.