Leasing a WRX...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Leasing a WRX... within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; What do you guys think? Personally, I've always been against leasing a car but my friend swears by it. And ...

Leasing a WRX...

What do you guys think?

Personally, I've always been against leasing a car but my friend swears by it. And the $299/month to lease a WRX seems (to me) like a pretty decent price. At least more affordable. I don't plan on a lot of mods, other than tints, STS and bushings so that shouldn't be a big deal.

My biggest concern, really, are the miles. The Subaru site says the lease is for 42 months but doesn't say how many miles it's limited to. And I do like to drive. I even want to take it on a road trip up to the Northeast (brewery tour).

I just want to know what you guys think about it and if anyone has experience leasing a WRX. And how much they screw you over to buy it after the lease is done.

(sorry for the poorly written post, I'm tired and I'm nervous about a final I have soon )

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I leased my wrx and paid it off at the end. My buyout was 13k and I had to pay it all upfront which kinda sucked but that was my fault for leasing to begin with lol

Mileage wasn't an issue because I only drive about 10k a year

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I'll never lease again. That being said. Cheaper isn't always better. Turn around in 3 years and sell it If you want something new. Just like I won't rent a house. Wasting money IMO.

I leased an impreza before buying my wrx. When you make the deal with the dealership you decide 10k/12k/15k per year. I onlyy had 10 and I went over about 2.5 years into my 3 year lease. When I turned the car in they wanted me to pay to replace basically every exterior panel and all sorts of other work (that didn't happen, but It was still a fight that was annoying). Im not sure how they would respond to even those slightly mods. But even doing a few mods leads to wanting to do a few more, etc etc etc. Yes, it might be a bit more expensive to purchase...but then its yours. And if you give a bit more on a down payment, your monthly payments probably wont be all that much more (depending on how many years).

All in all, I think leasing a car like this could cost you more in the long run than buying, and I would hate to have give up my subie in like 2 or 3 months and start over again.

Just my 0.02
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: Torqued Performance Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

IMO the less you have to deal with dealers the better. They are all lying slimeballs i think, sorry if i insulted anyone. They are just trying to get as much money out of you as possible. Be careful and never buy anything until you think about it for a while. I wouldnt lease because there are too many rules to follow. But that is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    I leased my wrx and paid it off at the end. My buyout was 13k and I had to pay it all upfront which kinda sucked but that was my fault for leasing to begin with lol
    Ouch that hurts

Quote Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
    I'll never lease again. That being said. Cheaper isn't always better. Turn around in 3 years and sell it If you want something new. Just like I won't rent a house. Wasting money IMO.
    Very true. This was always my argument against it too. Paying for something that isn't yours.

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    I leased an impreza before buying my wrx. When you make the deal with the dealership you decide 10k/12k/15k per year. I onlyy had 10 and I went over about 2.5 years into my 3 year lease. When I turned the car in they wanted me to pay to replace basically every exterior panel and all sorts of other work (that didn't happen, but It was still a fight that was annoying). Im not sure how they would respond to even those slightly mods. But even doing a few mods leads to wanting to do a few more, etc etc etc. Yes, it might be a bit more expensive to purchase...but then its yours. And if you give a bit more on a down payment, your monthly payments probably wont be all that much more (depending on how many years).

All in all, I think leasing a car like this could cost you more in the long run than buying, and I would hate to have give up my subie in like 2 or 3 months and start over again.

Just my 0.02
    Yea I'm pretty sure I'd go over the miles easily. My parents leased an Escape once and Ford tried to charge them for all the little dings and dents. They got away with it by buying an Explorer. I think my friend enjoys leasing because he's always getting Hondas so the dealer let all the fees slide

Quote Originally Posted by deepseastetson View Post
    IMO the less you have to deal with dealers the better. They are all lying slimeballs i think, sorry if i insulted anyone. They are just trying to get as much money out of you as possible. Be careful and never buy anything until you think about it for a while. I wouldnt lease because there are too many rules to follow. But that is just my opinion.
    Very good advice. I don't have a lot of experience with dealers. My first car was from a private seller and my current car was from Carmax where a family friend sold us the car.

Leasing was just an idea I was toying with due to the price, but I'll definitely stay away from it now.

Thanks guys

Leasing a car when you have the full intention of buying it at the end can save you money. I just placed an order last week for a 2012 WRX Linmited Sedan and while I was there I worked out a few different lease scenarios. No matter which option I chose (10k, 12k or 15k) the payment was still less on a 36-42 month lease than it would have been on an 84 month (that's right, 7 year) loan. I figure since I fully plan on modifying my car and keeping it for longer than 3.5 years I don't mind leasing it in order to have a lower downpayment and lower payment for the first few years. Yeah, when it comes time to buy it out at the end of the lease I may need another few thousand dollars down in order to keep my payments the same but I don't need to worry about that now.

Just my $.02...
    - Nick

2012 WRB Impreza WRX Limited Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    I drive too much and can't write off the car on my returns, so I never lease. I buy.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5TurboWRX View Post
    Leasing a car when you have the full intention of buying it at the end can save you money. I just placed an order last week for a 2012 WRX Linmited Sedan and while I was there I worked out a few different lease scenarios. No matter which option I chose (10k, 12k or 15k) the payment was still less on a 36-42 month lease than it would have been on an 84 month (that's right, 7 year) loan. I figure since I fully plan on modifying my car and keeping it for longer than 3.5 years I don't mind leasing it in order to have a lower downpayment and lower payment for the first few years. Yeah, when it comes time to buy it out at the end of the lease I may need another few thousand dollars down in order to keep my payments the same but I don't need to worry about that now.

Just my $.02...
    I really should just go to the dealer and ask them about it

I Support ClubWRX
    So much misinformation in this thread I don't know where to begin!!! But I will try to shed some light on leasing for you guys, and for future reference I have an "ask a Subaru Dealer" thread on here, and my CLUBWRX buying program also applies to leasing so you don't need to work that hard to get a great lease : ) If leasing seems mysterious, its because they keep it that way on purpose. Its not really that complicated if you don't over think it and keep your wits about you. Any member in need of help feel free to drop me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5TurboWRX View Post

Just my $.02...
    No offense dude but this is just wrong. If you are definitely going to buy out the car at the end there is no way it is cheaper to lease first then buy out. Just trust me on this one I don't feel like working up mathematically examples and whatnot. Sounds like your dealer wanted to close you on a lease.

Quote Originally Posted by passivecrimes View Post
    I really should just go to the dealer and ask them about it
    Yes so they can sell you whatever makes them the most money of course... Some dealers may offer sound advice but its true that a lot will not unfortunately. People in every line of work can be good or bad that's just life.

Quote Originally Posted by deepseastetson View Post
    Officially offended lol we are not all that bad, especially reputable new car showrooms. Believe it or not my pay is tied to my customer satisfaction index as much as how much we make on the cars. Not true everywhere but it is at Subaru. However he is right that a lot of guys will be out to get you and you should think about it first.

As for rules to follow they are pretty simple.
    1.Don't mod the car with anything non spt or anything you cant take off easily
    2.Don't drive more than the amount of miles you payed for
    3.Don't damage the car with over $1000 worth of damage ALL SUBARU LEASES COME WITH A $1000 damage allowance. Your dealer does not have anything to do with it, its through chase, they would be the one charging you. Dealers sometimes try to force you into a new lease by telling you you're going to get charged if you don't lease another one from them but its BS.
    Thats it, its not that complex.

Quote Originally Posted by passivecrimes View Post
    My parents leased an Escape once and Ford tried to charge them for all the little dings and dents. They got away with it by buying an Explorer.
    Your dealer does not have anything to do with it, its through a bank, like Ford|Motor Credit or Subaru Motor Finance, they would be the one charging you not the dealer. Dealers sometimes try to force you into a new lease by telling you you're getting charged unless you lease another one from them. Sounds like it worked for them here...

The bottom line here is that leasing is better than buying and buying is better than leasing, just depends on YOU.

CLIFF NOTES:
    Leasing is best for people who:
    -have a stable financial situation
    -can expect to stick with a lease until the end. It's also good for those who
    -like to drive a new car every few years
    -want low monthly payments
    -drive a fairly predictable number of miles each year
    -maintain their cars properly
    -are maybe looking at a car with less than stellar resale and reliability but a good lease rate (VW comes to mind)

Buying is better for those who:
    -become emotionally attached to owning their vehicle (duh)
    -want to mod their car extensively
    -may drive more than 15000 miles per year
    -may need to be able to get rid of their car at any time
    -like paying off their car and driving it till the wheels fall off because its paid for
    -are getting a car with good resale and decent reliability (like the wrx)

Oh and half the reason leasing gets a bad rep is those too good to be true lease ads you see all over the place. IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT IS!!!! nobody is going to lease you a brand new vehicle for less than your cell phone bill without some huge catch. I'm amazed these ads work but the sad truth is that they do.
    Last edited by rexxx0486; 05-04-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks for the write up man. I really appreciate it . I'll be checking your thread out, especially when I'm closer to being ready to buy a car.

Depending on the car you are looking at, an Impreza for example, it is possible to get for "less than a cell phone payment". I got my lease on an 07 impreza for zero %, zero due at signing (minus taxes), and zero down (i traded in a crappy car, which kinda negates this last one) and it was 160/month. Granted your cell phone bill might not be that high, 160/month for a brand new car was perfectly fine for me.

Also, I dont remember hearing about the $1000 "CYA" for damages. They tried to charge me like 2500-3000 for standard wear and tear, mostly of the body, like chips in paint and the like you would get from driving your car at any point in time.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: Torqued Performance Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    I leased a new 1990 Celica when I got our of college..it's the last lease I ever did. If you drive much at all, and finance matters to you at all, as it does to me, then it's difficult to make a cogent case for leasing a car. Go try to find it recommended in a financial self-help book...you'll be looking for a while.

Of course, this logic falls on deaf ears around here. Buying a new car every 2-3 years is also not a great idea, and the forum is filled with "Yo, I want to trade my 2011 in for a new car! Which one should I get!!1!!" threads.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon -- SOLD
    2002 Subaru WRX Sedan -- SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    I love boobies.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    Depending on the car you are looking at, an Impreza for example, it is possible to get for "less than a cell phone payment". I got my lease on an 07 impreza for zero %, zero due at signing (minus taxes), and zero down (i traded in a crappy car, which kinda negates this last one) and it was 160/month. Granted your cell phone bill might not be that high, 160/month for a brand new car was perfectly fine for me.

Also, I dont remember hearing about the $1000 "CYA" for damages. They tried to charge me like 2500-3000 for standard wear and tear, mostly of the body, like chips in paint and the like you would get from driving your car at any point in time.
    Zach,
    No you cannot legitimately get a new car lease for less than your cell phone dude. Here are the issues I see with your response right off the bat:
    -First and foremost, how the hell do you pay 160 per month for your cell phone!?? Forget car shopping you need a new cell carrier!
    -You had a trade in to get to that 160, which we don't know how much it was worth but it was money down and a lot more than the $0 you'd put down on a cellphone contract.
    -you say you got 0% but there are no finance rates for leases so that makes no sense. There are Money factors but they are NEVER 0 (at subaru anyway)
    -What does zero down minus taxes mean? Does that mean you put another 800 or so in taxes down on top of the trade in you gave them? because I didn't do that at verizon either.
    -Check the fine print on your contract... you have a 1k damage allowance as long as it is a Subaru Motor Finance lease. You say they "tried to charge me 2500-3000" for normal road wear. Which implies that you ultimately were not charged by said dealer, which proves my point. They were making it up to try to scare you into whatever deal they had lined up for you. Anyway, the dealer does not have anything to do with you being charged damages, its the bank you leased from that would charge you!

The impreza is the cheapest lease we have and here is a link to the specials, you need 2k down to get 169 a month and that is a base stickshift PLUS taxes tags and fees!http://www.subaru.com/special-offers/index.html
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.