Ask a Subaru Dealer - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Ask a Subaru Dealer within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Originally Posted by rexxx0486 Hi Guys, As some of you may know I am a Subaru Dealer in North NJ. ...

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    As some of you may know I am a Subaru Dealer in North NJ. Quite few people asked if I could answer car buying questions for them so I thought I would put together a thread to help you guys out! Let me know what questions you may have. Lets keep this civil please and please no thread jacking, if you have advice for folks make your own thread, I dont want to be associated with other people's mis-information. So... Go ahead ask away!
    Hey Clayton,

I was wonder if you'd be able to explain some of the differences between your dealership and others that are through Subaru of America. It seems that there are some significant dissimilarities between you and the others. Some questions off the top of my head are:

1 - Could you provide some detail around your custom factory ordering ability (ordering a car from factory), and if/how it is different from SoA's?
    2 - Your affiliation with Subaru - what exactly does it mean when you say you are through corporate, and not SoA? I would think SoA is connected to Subaru's corporate too?
    3 - Any idea of any differences between a corporate dealer and an SoA dealer? In purchasing, financing, ordering timing/tracking, service, parts or warranty?
    4 - Any way to tell if my local dealer/service center is through SoA or corporate? Should I pick one over the other if both are available?
    5 - Anything else you could shed some light on would be most welcome

I'm sure others would benefit from learning about these differences as well.

Thanks!
    Last edited by wrxtra; 05-04-2012 at 03:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtra View Post
    Hey Clayton,

I was wonder if you'd be able to explain some of the differences between your dealership and others that are through Subaru of America. It seems that there are some significant dissimilarities between you and the others. Some questions off the top of my head are:

1 - Could you provide some detail around your custom factory ordering ability, and how it is different from SoA's?
    2 - Your affiliation with Subaru - what exactly does it mean when you say you are through corporate, and not SoA? I would think SoA is connected to Subaru's corporate too?
    3 - Any idea of any differences between a corporate dealer and an SoA dealer? In purchasing, financing, ordering timing/tracking, service, parts or warranty?
    4 - Any way to tell if my local dealer/service center is through SoA or corporate? Should I pick one over the other if both are available?
    5 - Anything else you could shed some light on would be most welcome

I'm sure others would benefit from learning about these differences as well.

Thanks!
    Not really sure what you mean by "custom factory ordering" but in a nutshell we basically work for an independent distributor called Subaru distributors corp. There is another independent distributor for just New England (Subaru of New England), but SDC is the rest of the northeast basically. All other regions are SOA as far as I know. We have a separate pool of cars to order from, which is why SOA dealers might not be able to get WRX's but we still can. As an independent distributor we typically get our orders filled first. Bottom line here is that there really is no difference to you the consumer. Look at it this way, if you get a can of coke, it could have come from numerous different bottling plants owned by coca cola, and numerous distribution networks, but it is the same product for the same price as far as you would be concerned. Nobody on the dealer side has any tracking system or any benefits as far as one distributorship vs the other.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Not really sure what you mean by "custom factory ordering" but in a nutshell we basically work for an independent distributor called Subaru distributors corp. There is another independent distributor for just New England (Subaru of New England), but SDC is the rest of the northeast basically. All other regions are SOA as far as I know. We have a separate pool of cars to order from, which is why SOA dealers might not be able to get WRX's but we still can. As an independent distributor we typically get our orders filled first. Bottom line here is that there really is no difference to you the consumer. Look at it this way, if you get a can of coke, it could have come from numerous different bottling plants owned by coca cola, and numerous distribution networks, but it is the same product for the same price as far as you would be concerned. Nobody on the dealer side has any tracking system or any benefits as far as one distributorship vs the other.
    Good info - thanks for your input!

How does the recent/upcoming graduate financing program work? I'll be graduating from PA school in Philly in September and I've been thinking about getting myself a WRX as a graduation present. I'll be moving across the country and am not sure I'll have a job lined up when I graduate, but in my field and the area I'm moving to it wouldn't take very long to find one. Just looking to see what my options are, not looking for specifics.

So basically there is another middle man between you and subaru and possibly more port installed options and items not particularly from subsru.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxpa22 View Post
    How does the recent/upcoming graduate financing program work? I'll be graduating from PA school in Philly in September and I've been thinking about getting myself a WRX as a graduation present. I'll be moving across the country and am not sure I'll have a job lined up when I graduate, but in my field and the area I'm moving to it wouldn't take very long to find one. Just looking to see what my options are, not looking for specifics.
    Well the graduate program just guarantees that you will be able to obtain financing. It does not guarantee that you will get the low rates though, so if you have very light credit history you may want to explore getting a co signer to save a lot of interest.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Deciphe View Post
    So basically there is another middle man between you and subaru and possibly more port installed options and items not particularly from subsru.
    Not really another middle man, just a different middle man. As far as port installed options that makes no difference.

i had a question:

Let's say i have a cobb AP and aftermarket intake, with a maintenance package through a dealership.

1) would bringing that car in for routine service cause any problems? would the dealership really care?

2) i have read that its best to unmarry the AP and bring the car in just in case, but going back to 1) would a dealership care about seeing an aftermarket intake? would your dealership care? or would this depend on dealership per dealership?

subd!

lol This has really been beat to death dude, but I'll humor you cuz you're new.
    1. It depends on the dealership.
    2. I don't think unmarrying it has any effect, because your actual ECU still shows evidence of being tinkered with - IF the dealership cares. Flashing it back to stock would only help to not raise eyebrows and make them look further.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by crick0234 View Post
    i had a question:

Let's say i have a cobb AP and aftermarket intake, with a maintenance package through a dealership.

1) would bringing that car in for routine service cause any problems? would the dealership really care?

2) i have read that its best to unmarry the AP and bring the car in just in case, but going back to 1) would a dealership care about seeing an aftermarket intake? would your dealership care? or would this depend on dealership per dealership?
    As Etnpnys said, it really depends on the dealership in question. Most are cool, but some are not. If you unmarry the ap they aren't going to see it unless they really look into the ecu's history or something like that, it is not immediately obvious that it has been cobb tuned so I wouldn't worry about it. 90% of the time, youre not going to have any issues with the dealer unless your aftermarket parts are what caused the issue. IE you have the 93 octane map installed but are running 91 and getting knock, or your intake relocated the MAF which is causing bad readings. Just find a good local dealer with cool guys, buy them dunkin donuts once in a while and you will be their best friend when something comes up in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    lol This has really been beat to death dude, but I'll humor you cuz you're new.
    1. It depends on the dealership.
    2. I don't think unmarrying it has any effect, because your actual ECU still shows evidence of being tinkered with - IF the dealership cares. Flashing it back to stock would only help to not raise eyebrows and make them look further.
    yeah i know i figured maybe hearing it for the millionth time would sink into my tiny brain of what i should or shouldnt do. financial irresponsibility here i come! YAYYYYY!!!!!

As Etnpnys said, it really depends on the dealership in question. Most are cool, but some are not. If you unmarry the ap they aren't going to see it unless they really look into the ecu's history or something like that, it is not immediately obvious that it has been cobb tuned so I wouldn't worry about it. 90% of the time, youre not going to have any issues with the dealer unless your aftermarket parts are what caused the issue. IE you have the 93 octane map installed but are running 91 and getting knock, or your intake relocated the MAF which is causing bad readings. Just find a good local dealer with cool guys, buy them dunkin donuts once in a while and you will be their best friend when something comes up in the future.
    thanks! dunkin donuts it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by crick0234 View Post
    financial irresponsibility here i come! YAYYYYY!!!!!
    attaboy!

attaboy!
    hahaha
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I've heard there is a difference between Factory invoice price and dealer invoice price. Can you bring some light to the subject as to what they both mean?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.