Ask a Subaru Dealer - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Ask a Subaru Dealer within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Here's a question I got through PM that might be useful for others: "Hey man im looking at a wrx ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's a question I got through PM that might be useful for others:

"Hey man im looking at a wrx 02 bugeye a dealer has for 8G's it has one accident in the carfaxs with 93k miles wondering if it would be a good sale i got some money for a down payment looking to finance only thing its one of those dealers that has about 20 cars in a small lot and has only one location any in sight and please lmk if u have any on ur lot. thanks"
    This is my response:

Eh, I dunno man, my co-worker just sold his very clean 04 wrx with 110k for 8k and it had zero accidents and zero problems. I think Those small dealers with the chain link fences around them are usually bad news. Basically if I took in a really beat up car on trade in here at my dealership, I would send it to an auction and one of those places would end up with it. They usually have all the reputable dealers reject trade ins at those places. You might get lucky but by and large my advice is to keep looking to make sure you cant find something better... don't just fall in love with the first one you see. Also you may have trouble financing a vehicle that is that old. A lot of banks won't finance a car 10 yrs. old or older. you might have to get a loan through your credit union or something. Let me know if you need any other advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good advice
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

My wife and I are planning to order a WRX premium wagon as we're having a difficult time finding exactly what she wants in anyones inventory in the country. Ive heard that it can take anywhere from 6-12 weeks for delivery. Ive also heard that adding some options (like the short throw shifter) requires the car to be built at the factory, then shipped somewhere else for the sts to be installed. If this is true it would extend the time before we get the car right? By how long, days or weeks? I wouldn't have a problem taking the car earlier and installing some of that stuff myself.
    Thanks, Jim

I Support ClubWRX
    Jim, Just because rexxx0486 isn't online right now, I figured I'd put some info in here. If he's able to concur, that'd be great.

There are several options that are considered "dealer installed accessories". The last time I heard.. the STS (short throw shifter) is considered one of them. That means that if you order a vehicle with a STS, it gets shipped with out the STS, but installed by the factory certified techs at that dealership. Last I heard, the majority of the SPT/STi accessories are this way. That includes things like the footwell lamps, homelink mirror, wheel locks, etc.

Hope that clears things up. I've heard that since the vehicles are so far behind... some dealerships are getting cars in, and people are taking them without the dealer installed accessories, and then the dealerships are setting appointments to install the accessories.

There is enough customization that goes along with purchasing a car these days that it's more cost efficient, and accurate for the dealership to do the majority of the accessorizing.

I'm pretty sure rexxx0486 will concur on this. Hope that helps.

-Kevin
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Actually no, Sinister is incorrect on this one. The short throw is done at the factory. Very few accessories would be done at the dealership if you are ordering a car from scratch. The only things I could think of that we have to do at the dealership are certain SPT parts like the SPT exhaust. Most are either port or factory installed. Adding parts really should not increase the order time. I think Sinister would have been right 3 years ago but now the factory does it.
    Last edited by rexxx0486; 03-31-2012 at 12:34 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    hey i have a question, with my car ive noticed how horrible the paint is, i already have some chips and dings taken out of the car where now a little surface rust is starting, within 6 months. would i call the dealer and can they do anything to fix this so it doesnt get worse. I always try to do my best to keep the car clean and protect it from the elements, but theres only so much i can do
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    hey i have a question, with my car ive noticed how horrible the paint is, i already have some chips and dings taken out of the car where now a little surface rust is starting, within 6 months. would i call the dealer and can they do anything to fix this so it doesnt get worse. I always try to do my best to keep the car clean and protect it from the elements, but theres only so much i can do
    The subaru paint is a bit soft, you have to be careful with the rock chips and whatnot. I'm sure any reputable dealer would be happy to throw in a bottle of touch up paint at least. If there is a defect in the paint job you do have a 5 yr unltd. milage warranty against paint defects and such. Not sure if it would help in your case as I have not seen the car in question.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    Actually no, Sinister is incorrect on this one. The short throw is done at the factory. Very few accessories would be done at the dealership if you are ordering a car from scratch. The only things I could think of that we have to do at the dealership are certain SPT parts like the SPT exhaust. Most are either port or factory installed. Adding parts really should not increase the order time. I think Sinister would have been right 3 years ago but now the factory does it.
    Interesting. Thanks for the correction.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    Actually..... You can buy the short throw shifter and have it installed by your dealer. Doesnt mean Subaru(factory) wont install it on an ordered car, but it doesnt mean you cant get one installed after the fact either.
    2012 Subaru WRX 4dr

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bdub#98 View Post
    Actually..... You can buy the short throw shifter and have it installed by your dealer. Doesnt mean Subaru(factory) wont install it on an ordered car, but it doesnt mean you cant get one installed after the fact either.
    Obviously you can order any part and have it done at the dealership... If you read the question it was pertaining to a factory ordered car. You don't have to order a car every time you want an accessory of course I don't think anyone would have thought that. Not sure why anyone would rather have the dealer install a part for 110 per hour for labor when its less than 25% of that from the factory.

Hey rexxx, I've got another question for you that's related to another one that was recently asked. I've had my 2012 DGM WRX for about 5 months now and have found that the paint has chipped on the hood twice and along the rear fender flares in 3 other places. I knew this going into buying the car, but was hoping to somehow avoid it later down the line. My dealer has been great so far and overnighted a paint pen/bottle for touch ups which coupled with some clear coat has helped, but invariably with this many chips in the paint at 6,000 miles, the problem will continue to happen. Has your dealership ever covered any claims about chipping paint? It seems that there is quite a grey area between defective paint and "soft" paint as you said. I essentially am just curious as to where the line is drawn on when paint should routinely be chipping and when it needs to be resprayed, etc. because it is too thin and weak. I owned a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder for 10 years before my '12 WRX, and only had the paint chip once the whole time. I'm just in the midst of deciding whether this issue will need to be brought up in the future or whether it's a lost cause and the dealer (or any dealer really) will just say that's part of the game. Thanks again for answering all these questions, you're providing a very valuable service!
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

Can you get your car serviced at a dealership you didn't buy from?

Quote Originally Posted by silentbuddy View Post
    Yes.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

First, kudos to rexx for this thread. Via PM, he provided some much needed insight into my buying decisions prior to me even contacting a dealership. So thanx!

Now, regarding the paint... Some others have pointed out that it may be beneficial to have the dealer NOT do any waxing/buffing/whatever prior to me taking possession of the vehicle (hopefully in the next couple days). It's in an effort to not have some new guy at the dealership screw up my paint job.

What are your thoughts on this? How much swirl/orange peel is normal when I do my "walkthrough" over the vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by silentbuddy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Yes.
    Your girlfriend wouldn't appreciate that.
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.