Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ask a Subaru Dealer

159K views 714 replies 194 participants last post by  TheWolverine 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
As some of you may know I am a Subaru Dealer in North NJ. Quite few people asked if I could answer car buying questions for them so I thought I would put together a thread to help you guys out! Let me know what questions you may have. Lets keep this civil please and please no thread jacking, if you have advice for folks make your own thread, I dont want to be associated with other people's mis-information. So... Go ahead ask away!

#695 ·
Sounds cool! No, no prices for 18s yet, but shoot me a PM in a few weeks and I should have all the info by then. You might want to check out my pricing on the 2017s before you decide on an 18, as I am selling them currently at a VERY aggressive number, way more discount than my usual great pricing.

#697 ·
Wondering if it's worth getting out of my lease early with 8 payments left?
Definitely worth looking into if you are low on your miles. I got out of my lease early by 16 months. My GMC sierra only had 12k miles on it though after 2 years. Saved $2,798 in money I would have otherwise thrown at a truck I didn't want.

#704 ·
Hi all. Super noob to subaru's here. Test drove a 2017 impreza and 2017 wrx the other weekend, and am pretty sold on the wrx. Think I've even convinced the wife on it as well! After some research and reading this entire thread it looks like out on west coast I should be shooting for MSRP or slightly lower unless I'm up for a cross country trip from New Jersey.

I guess I'm wondering what I should be shooting for, for a new 2017 or 2018 wrx out here in San Francisco. Since 2018's are coming in now, what's the likelihood that I can get a better deal on a 2017 locally?

Also, am I crazy for wondering if doing an order from Rexxx is worth it? There would be some additional clarification I think i'd need as far as
1. tax implication
2. smog test implications
3. price difference vs buying ~MRSP on west coast vs flying out to east coast and driving back

#706 · (Edited)
I'd just have it shipped unless you plan to work this as a vacation/car mission. Check uship.com, and use my zip code 07446 to see what kind of rates you can get but I'd guess $1000. IF you can take a 17 leftover it will definitely be worth it even with shipping factored in since I can discount those by 3k. Not sure on the 18, but PM me for pricing and we can check it out.
As for tax and smog implications, no worries. All US models are CARB compliant, and the tax paid would just be CA either way. It wont require any NJ tax to be paid at all.

#705 · (Edited)
well its 3000 ish miles so even at 30 mpg and 2$ a gallon your looking at 200$ just in gas, you will need at least 1 oil change, and even if you drive 16 hours a day at 70 mph its a 3 day trip factoring in "brief" bathroom/gas/food stops. also theres the flight, a quick google search shows around 400$ SFO to EWR give or take.

even a great car like a wrx has to depreciate, say 10 cents a mile, thats 300$ in depreciation... also theres the uber from EWR up to the dealer, prob 20-30$ at least, blah blah blah, insert forgotten things here.

id say your looking at a VERY best case scenario of 1200-1500$ for this mission, if your willing to find a quiet place and are a smaller person you could skip the 3 nights in hotels and sleep in the car, could save anywhere from 100-300$ doing that.

all that said it still could possibly be worth it, it really comes down to how much you value your time and how much you want an adventure. you may break even, it may even cost you a little but it could also be quite a story to tell for years to come.

#707 ·
Spoke to my subaru dealer and the wrx i want to buy is 29K I also looked at there certified pre owned wrx models from the years 2014-2015 and they were selling those vechicles for 22-23K, knowing the Wrx tends to hold its value in 3 years from now a 2017 wrx should not cost less then 21K with that being said im interested in leasing which means i would pay around 8K for 36 months, correct? (Please let me know if im wrong) i plan on doing a 2,000 down payment leving me to pay 6,000 with in 36 months which I calculated to be 170 per month. Now my question is why is everyone on the forums stating there are paying $250-$300 a month. Am i missing something? Did I calculate wrong? Please let me know. Also i dont drive more then 8K miles a year so the plan with 10k miles would be more then enough (i would return the car with less then 30k miles)

#709 ·
If you want, feel free to give me a call and I can go over specifics with you. I pm'd you my number. I also went over leases a bit more in this thread, check back a few pages and see if you can find that.

#708 · (Edited)
Jjoey said:
Spoke to my subaru dealer and the wrx i want to buy is 29K I also looked at there certified pre owned wrx models from the years 2014-2015 and they were selling those vechicles for 22-23K, knowing the Wrx tends to hold its value in 3 years from now a 2017 wrx should not cost less then 21K with that being said im interested in leasing which means i would pay around 8K for 36 months, correct? (Please let me know if im wrong) i plan on doing a 2,000 down payment leving me to pay 6,000 with in 36 months which I calculated to be 170 per month. Now my question is why is everyone on the forums stating there are paying $250-$300 a month. Am i missing something? Did I calculate wrong? Please let me know. Also i dont drive more then 8K miles a year so the plan with 10k miles would be more then enough (i would return the car with less then 30k miles)
When a lease agreement is setup, they determine the price of the vehicle, duration of the loan, and the projected value at the termination of the loan. If I loan you $30K for the vehicle (purchase price), and after 3 years it will be worth $21K, that's $9K depreciation; $9K/36 = $250/mo just to break even.

There is interest built-in to the agreement, so you need to factor that in. The financing office is taking a risk that the vehicle WILL be worth what they believe it will be at the termination of the lease. Assume that you have 2% interest on your $30K leased vehicle; $50/mo of your payment is going towards interest, which means that same 36 month lease is $300/mo (vs $250).

#710 ·
Hi,
Quick question regarding trade in values. I have a 2016 STI base. I've been considering what I want to do car wise, getting something different now, or keeping it and trunk swapping. Then if I get the itch a year or so from now, Id be back considering trading it in.

Do trunk swaps affect trade in value?

This would be a base STi, so there was no lip spoiler option. And I would be swapping the right color trunk with lip spoiler, not doing some ricer looking thing.

#711 ·
I dont think it would be a huge deal as long as it was a true trunk swap and not removed wing, holes filled and painted. Maybe they'd hit you for 500 worst case at some dealers. Personally I would not adjust value.

#712 ·
I bought a base WRX in September last year (cash purchase), since about a week after the fact I have been regretting not getting the higher model up. In Canada, it is the sport version, which includes led headlights and power seats, sunroof, blind spot monitoring and a few other things. I am really missing the power seats and lumbar support.

I am now to a point where I am seriously thinking going back to the dealer and see what he can offer me as an upgrade path. Can you be so kind to advise on the proper way to approach the dealer(s)?

#713 ·
Sorry bud, I dont have much to say on that one, and I can't really say what is or isn't a good deal since you're in Canada. If you really want to trade up you'll just have to go in there and see what the deal is with trade in and pricing and go from there. Typically a year into a purchase is not the best time to trade in since you have just taken the big depreciation hit, but WRX resale is strong at least so you shouldnt get killed.

#714 ·
Hey guys, I started a fb group, northeast subaru squad, so if you have any questions for a dealer, try me there instead if you can. I'll still check in here from time to time tho.

#715 ·
So, I have a 2015 limited that I'm looking to buy, the seller has it for 20K with 54k on the body, but he had to have the motor replaced because it blew from a recall along with the clutch. Has the paperwork to show for it and the new motor and clutch replaced at Subaru only has 16k on it. Everything else in the car is good and he has paperwork going back since he bought it. I got the price down to 18.5k. Sound like a good deal?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.