Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ask a Subaru Dealer

159K views 714 replies 194 participants last post by  TheWolverine 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
As some of you may know I am a Subaru Dealer in North NJ. Quite few people asked if I could answer car buying questions for them so I thought I would put together a thread to help you guys out! Let me know what questions you may have. Lets keep this civil please and please no thread jacking, if you have advice for folks make your own thread, I dont want to be associated with other people's mis-information. So... Go ahead ask away!

#475 ·
Sounds like you could save a lot of money buying it from me instead

#477 ·
2015s are still available, new?
If you're talking used, I suggest buying new anyways. Unless you can find a smoking deal, on a '15, we're talking very similar money and with new, you get a WRX that is still a virgin and never have to wonder how the PO treated it.

And WELCOME, to the forum! ?

#485 ·
Don't think I'm not gonna give them a look, once I get my funds together!
BUT... it's a plane ride, then 1400 miles and an over night, to get back.
It would have to be a smoking deal.

#489 · (Edited)
rexxx0048, two questions please:

1) If you order a WRX Limited and want package # 22 and package # 1 (IZD), do your order both, or is package # 1 already included in package # 22?

2) Is the optional 100W electrical outlet only a two-prong receptacle for charging cell phones and similar, or is a three-prong grounded outlet (that you could, for example in a power outage, use to power your refrigerator or similar)? If the latter, does it have an amperage maximum rating?

Thank you.

#495 ·
Those packages are for SOA dealers so I really dont know. As for the 110v outlet, it is a 2 prong and wont do heavy amperage, good for charging laptops, not going to run an electric saw for instance.

#493 ·
Clayton, is there an option for rear spoiler delete on the '16 WRX?
If so, what is the cost?

#494 ·
No there is no wing delete for WRXs, only STi Limiteds.

#501 ·
I live in California and was thinking of custom ordering a brand new WRX out of state since the quote + shipping is much cheaper than purchasing a vehicle in my area. My family thinks its a bad idea because of the headache that may be involved. I am aware I'll have to pay the sales tax of CA and that's fine with me, I just have other questions.

How much extra work is it to own a vehicle purchased out of state? Is buying a WRX from CO/NJ Cal Smog compatible? If its 49 state legal instead, does this mean I need to perform a smog check as soon as the car arrives? How does Registration work?

Sorry if my questions are stupid, I'm just new to all of this. Thanks.

#503 ·
I don't know about the emissions part, but I would think it would be the same cars selling in Cali as the ones we sell here, since other CA guys have bought from me and never had a problem. Paperwork wise, its easy as long as there is no trade, we just do everything by overnight mail and then you send a shipper to pick it up.
Contact me by PM if you are interested in getting an order in.

#504 ·
Clayton, do you think the WRX inventory will catch up, where several cars will be on the lots, before ordering for the '17 model year starts?
If so, when do you think that might be?
When does ordering for a new model year usually start?
I ask this, because we bought our '14 Forester in October of ' 13. The were hardly any on the lots. Shortly after that, inventory was plentiful.

#505 ·
I have been selling Subarus for almost 10 years now and don't remember a time when wrx's were truly"plentiful". At best we had maybe 8 in stock, and we are the #1 WRX retailer in all of SDC so I would guess it's even worse elsewhere. They keep that car low production high demand on purpose. Forester is different since they sell tons of them, the initial demand for the redesigned model is what made it hard to get temporarily. I would just order your WRX if you have the choice. That way you dont have to pay for accessories you didnt want or have to wonder if the car went on wild test drives or something.

#507 ·
Rexxx0486 Let me start off by thanking you for taking the time to give such great advice and insight in car buying.

Now on regards to my query. I live in Northern VA and I'm looking to lease a '16 WRX soon. Dealers down here don't like to budge on their prices since people seem not to care about paying MSRP. I was wondering if i take a small road trip up to NJ and i get a WRX from you, would i be able to lease it or would i have to buy it? I know taxes are different from VA to NJ, inspection, emission and probably other stuff too. Could you please shed some light? I hope I'm able to work with you once the time comes.

#508 ·
Rexxx0486 Let me start off by thanking you for taking the time to give such great advice and insight in car buying.

Now on regards to my query. I live in Northern VA and I'm looking to lease a '16 WRX soon. Dealers down here don't like to budge on their prices since people seem not to care about paying MSRP. I was wondering if i take a small road trip up to NJ and i get a WRX from you, would i be able to lease it or would i have to buy it? I know taxes are different from VA to NJ, inspection, emission and probably other stuff too. Could you please shed some light? I hope I'm able to work with you once the time comes.

#509 ·
You can definitely lease it through me, just send me a pm

#511 ·
replied via pm

#513 ·
I dont know, but it will be different in different subaru distributorships. For instance, SOA will close ordering a month or two before SDC closes 16 ordering.

#515 ·
@Rexxx0486

I'm in LA. While going through the purchase process the lady at the desk offered the SAS. I declined at the time... Too tired and just wanted to go home with my car.
She said the SAS was a now or never deal. I declined. The next day, after much research, I learned it wasn't. I'm so pissed about this one thing. I'm 53 years old and don't like being lied too. Now I'm shopping around for the best deal throughout the state. I've learned that due to regulations, I can't buy SAS outside my state like others can. How do I get around this? I want a 6 year 100000 mile SAS. I've been given quotes far better than my dealer offered, but they can't write the sale if I live in LA.

Thanks for hanging out here and answering questions...

David

#519 ·
Yes I would be willing to help you out with that, just shoot me a pm of the model and color you want, as well as where you are from.

#517 ·
Search for dealers on subaru.com. Go to each dealer's site, as far out as you are willing to travel and check their inventory.
I can't think of any way to check all inventory, with one stop.
Autotrader.com shows many results, but not all inventory is advertised there.
I assume that you don't want to wait for an ordered WRX?

#520 ·
That wont work. Any car ordered for anyone shows up on thier website as "in transit". They do not differentiate sold and unsold units. Best bet on this one is just to contact me and I will run a national locate for you. Any dealer could do it for you, but they would rather you buy the car there so you might not get the true answer from them.

#525 ·
Wanted to give a big thanks to Clayton (rexxx0486) for helping me with my 2016 STI LE in Lapis Blue. This is a truly hassle-free purchase. Props to Alex and the team for handling the paperwork in less than an hour. Alex was always quick to reply emails even on his days off.

In all fairness, here is a quick recap of the experience/process:
Clayton spec out the car you want, discuss trade in, pricing, etc. then hands you off to one of the sales manager. Sales manager does the order and is your go to guy (order status, add-ons, financing, etc). On pickup, he hands you to another guy that does the paper work/payment, and you are handed the key. I tracked my status by looking at the dealership website. It was about 20days and my STI popped up in the inventory and shown as "in transit", I was expecting in Jan 2016. It stayed "In-transit" for about 1-1.5wk., then a few days for dealership to prep, and then pickup. During the wait, I tried to negotiate freebies like wheel locks or vortex generator, but was told they were a bad idea :/ (maybe it's my poor negotiating skill.. lol). Nothing negative, but though was interesting that Alex talk me out of the items.. prob because I tried to get it for free (or they were truly bad idea, and he was trying to save me from them. idk). Again, overall experience was overwhelmingly positive and would buy from them again in the future.

Note that Clayton's dealership is SDC not SOA. SDC invoice is just a hair higher than SOA invoice. You also can't track the order by calling SOA (I didn't need to as it showed up quickly for me). SDC/SOA makes nearly no difference for the end buyer and Clayton's is definitely the best deal around the northeast/mid-atlantic area (I didn't call all the dealerships, but visited a few) with $500 below SDC invoice.

My order was placed 11/7 and delivered 12/16, this is probably one of the fastest order I've seem.. Maybe I was lucky. Just in time for Christmas.

Thanks again Clayton, Alex, and the team.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.