Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Popular Mechanics just did an article on used car buying tips, and have a handy PDF checklist to take with ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Popular Mechanics just did an article on used car buying tips, and have a handy PDF checklist to take with you when checking out a used car. Might be worth adding as an Appendix to your list. Article and checklist:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...getting-burned

Sent from my Droid 2
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

thanks - added as a link
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    thank you for the advice veryhelpful

I Support ClubWRX
    My dealership actually does free inspections for private party sales if anyone in the nj ny area is interested email me...

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    Mileage is not as important a factor as you'd think. A 2005 is about 6-7 years old now, so the "average" driver would have put somewhere between 72k and 100k on it. If a car has significantly less (around 30k or so), it probably wasn't used as anything but a track car (you can say this about STi's - a wrx with oddly low mileage was probably just mistreated). Just make sure the service records go by time and not mileage, and it's good. If the car has significantly more than that (around 150k), somebody liked the car. Just make sure the service records go by mileage and not time. Also, anything above about 100k - MAKE DAMN SURE that somebody either took care of or is taking care of the timing belt - or be prepared to do it yourself.

In all, the shape of a car is quite a bit more important than the arbitrary number of miles it's gone. There are a lot of high-mileage (300k) original engine cars which I would much rather take over a car with 50k, a ton of bolt ons, and that's never been tuned for those bolt-ons.
    I recently bought a 2000 chevy silverado 1500 z71 with 282000km's and i just want to add that if a car has high mileage, and the engine or any moving parts are strangely clean... the owner may be trying to hide something such as an oil leak. Also, if the person has done any work himself, such as change spark plugs, wires, or distributor, or anything else you can think of, check his work. I ran into both of these problems with my truck. First of all, the previous owner had steam cleaned the block before putting it up for sale, the truck sat for months and water sat in a valley under the intake on the block and corroded the knock sensors ($900 job). Also, this same guy also changed the spark plugs, and little did I know, he did not torque them to spec, they eventually backed off, and aided in the creation of a bad engine knock which forced me to replace my engine ($5700 job) so if things look *too* clean, suspect foul play.

P.S. I know a chevy isnt a subaru, but i think my experiences can apply to this thread.

Very good information I almost got burned so I wanted to thank you for putting up the list.

Proud owner of a 2010 Wrx sedan

Roadster

ive been looking trying to find something like this so i know what to look for and i was alil afraid on looking at any cars n getting screwed over but now i cant wait to get a wrx thanks guys

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.