'04 WRX w/ STi motor swap
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '04 WRX w/ STi motor swap within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I'm looking at a local WRX for sale. It's a '04 WRX (not an STi), but the owner recently had ...

'04 WRX w/ STi motor swap

I'm looking at a local WRX for sale. It's a '04 WRX (not an STi), but the owner recently had an STi motor put in it. He's got around 1500 miles on the motor and almost 60k on the body. What do I need to look for on this car? What sort of questions do I need to ask about the motor swap? Is this a good deal? He wants $10k for it and he's got some aftermarket wheels, exaust, intake, STi wing and lowered too, So it looks like a good deal.

I read the car purchasing guide, and that's been a lot of help, I have a list of questions to cover with the guy when I look at it tonight, but is there anything else I need to be looking for? especially pertaining to the engine swap?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have an 04 wrx that I will be doing an sti swap in soon. From what I've read, you can swap the engine and attain the wrx wiring harness and ecu. See if that has been switched to sti wiring and ecu. If he mantained the wrx wiring and exu it's no big deal however make sure it was tuned or at least the ecu recalibrated before it was started and driven because the wrx ecu is calibrated for stock wrx injectors and the sti injectors are larger. Also, to keep the stock sti red intake mani and throttlebody(which is drive by wire) he would have had to swap the pedals and the drive by wire would also need the sti ecu. If that is not the case, then he just kept the stock wrx intake mani and throttlebody.

All in all, make sure he can prove it's tuned, a swapped car with improper tuning will really cause destruction to engine.

If I'm wrong on anything let the guy know as I am new and may not have 100% of the details!
    2004 WRX Java Black Pearl

Also, you might want to research AVCS and cam position sensors as they are different in the sti engine over the wrx.

Also, I should mention to find out if it's just the short block swapped or the entire engine.

Looks like a short block swap. What all does that imply? Unfortuanetly, the owner was not who had the swap done, so some details he was fuzzy on. A local subaru dealer was who did the swap. I might have to go to the dealer for a better answer. I was pretty set on the car so I went ahead and put a deposit down.

It's good to here a subaru dealer did the work at least. A shortblock swap maintains everything from the wrx engine except the engine block and it's internals. It would mean that the wrx heads were mated to the 2.5L block. I've read a lot of people have done this however they all had to either custom grind the wrx cams or modify the sti cams to fit the wrx heads. I think the reason behind the change of cams is because the 2.5L block has a lot more displacement and therefore the wrx cams will not allow the valves to stay open long enough to move more air that the engine will need.

Again, I'm not 100% sure on some of this since I've gathered this info from hours of research.

I would try to determine as much information as possible about what all is actually done to the car before doing any performance mods. Hopefully a subaru veteran can fill you in or give you some more advice too!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.