buying a new 08 wrx.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on buying a new 08 wrx. within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I have been car shopping for about 8 months. I have narrowed it down to the WRX or a GTI. ...

buying a new 08 wrx.

I have been car shopping for about 8 months. I have narrowed it down to the WRX or a GTI. I spent the day with a 5spd WRX yesterday. Really liked the car. all wheel drive feels very stable in the corners and off the line. The interior is not quiet up to the level of the GTI though. Believe me this is the he toughest car buying decision I have made I think ever. Does anyone regret buyin a WRX. The 08 feels less rally and more sedan to me, but its still a blast to drive. Any help would great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i've owned a wrx and GTI. (plus my mom currently owns an a3 which is on the same platform as a GTI)

anyway, it all comes down to personal preference. i think the GTI is a great car. its so tiny and very zippy.. fun to drive.. and i absolutely love the interior. the only thing i dont like is the clutch pedal. way to soft and flimsy for me.. but other than that, the car is very smooth but still has that sporty feel.

i have an 06 wrx right now which is on a completely different level than the 08 but the ONLY regret i have is not dishing out the extra cash to get an STi right then and there.

when it comes to 08 wrx vs 08 gti, i'm going to have to go with the GTi on this one. (hell, i even liked driving that more than an 08 sti)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Personally I will say I do NOT regret buying my WRX, in fact I would be crushed if something happened to it/had to sell it.

However if I had purchased an '08 WRX/STI, yeah I would regret it. As well as many other members in the community.

Buy what your happy with.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

That's just the kind of feedback I was looking for. I really like the WRX, but I am hung up on the fact that it feels more sport sedan than go fast monster like the ones I drove 2 years ago when I was thinking of buying a car. I'm not in love with the body style but it does drive very well. Fast, great handling but just a little softer than I remember. Im sure the aftermarket can help me strengthen that up however. It may come down to how bad the Subaru dealership wants to sell me that car.

If your not satisfied with the exterior do not get it, you'll end up regretting it then. Look at the 2007's, theres plently that barely have any miles on them, some still not broke in. I'd love to get one of those, but the whole $ thing...

If your looking at STi's i'd check into the STi limited, a very nice car, or a regular STi.

Be patient and get what YOUR happy with, not with what others say, including the dealership sales persons.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

I've owned a '08 WRX for almost a year now and I can honestly say I have zero regrets buying it. It's low end torque is amazing and it's plenty quick in my opinion. In the snow (not sure where you live) it's a beast. When I went car shopping I drove the '08 and the '07 back to back and ended up liking the '08 so much more. For me, it was a no brainer and had I got the '07 I would have regretted it. This is just one person's POV.

I've only driven VW's a few times so I don't really have an opinion on them. Very few of the '08 owners have any regrets about their cars. Every single person that's ever seen my car or been in it has had nothing but good things to say about it. In fact, the only negative feedback I've heard has been from WRX owners of earlier years (only on message boards, not in person).

In the end, all of our opinions ('08 owners, '02 owners, and everyone inbetween) matter very little. Test drive the hell out of both cars and get whichever you like more. The only regret you'll have is if you let someone else's opinion of a car influence your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    Be patient and get what YOUR happy with, not with what others say, including the dealership sales persons.
    This is the best advice anyone can give you. Follow it.

Also, depending on when your looking to buy, the '09 WRX is rumored to be getting like a 45hp increase as well as some better styling and a few other goodies. If the rumors are true, and you can wait a few months, this whole conversation might be moot.
    Last edited by Grasmonky3; 07-25-2008 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i have an 06 wrx right now which is on a completely different level than the 08 but the ONLY regret i have is not dishing out the extra cash to get an STi right then and there.
    sti)
    Yup me too... I should have waited and gotten the STI, better tranny handling etc. If the is any chance you might want more power, a used 2007 STI is the way to go, just be cautious of the condition of the car.

If you live in a place where it snows and the roads get nasty i would opt for AWD.

I bought an 08 back in march and absolutly love it. Granted it doesn't have the "rally inspired" appearance as the previous model years. I like the fact that it has a smoother ride, the acceleration is just as good if not better, and there is a heck of a lot more room. Plus it does come with the keyless entry for the trunk. I kind of wish i got the 5 door instead of the sedan at times.

I have never driven or rode in a GTI so i can't say anything bad or good about it.

If you dislike the exterior appearance look into the 07's or 06's. You can still find really low mileage ones but alot of places are asking the same price as if they were brand new.

If you want brand brand new, wait till the 09's come out. The current WRX will be known as an Impreza GT and have the 224 hp output. the 09 WRX is suppose to have 260hp and more of an STi type styling and a better suspension. Wait it out a few months more and test drive the 09's.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.