Some newbie WRX purchasing Q's
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Some newbie WRX purchasing Q's within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Brand new to the forums, and also to the Suburu/WRX world. I just got back from a race event with ...

Some newbie WRX purchasing Q's

Brand new to the forums, and also to the Suburu/WRX world.

I just got back from a race event with some friends of mine, where they were racing some Mazda Speed3's against a bunch of honda's (S2000, etc) vipers, and even some seriously modded STI's.

I got the opportunity to drive the Speed3 on the track against some of the other cars out there, and while I'm a new racer (I come from a motocross/superbike racing world), I seriously enjoyed the competitive car racing experience. I'm sold. But I live where snow/weather is a problem. I currently own a Rav4, and I love the AWD. So my first pre-req for buying into a car that can start performing on the track was that it was AWD.

My speed3 guys immediately recommended the WRX or the STI. Right now, I think the STI is a bit more than I really need, and I'd like the opportunity to work on a WRX and pump some cash into it for performance upgrades down the road when my skill level can start taking advantage of them.

Long story short, I was curious about the following from the helpful experts I've seen on these forums

1.) After driving a Speed3, what should I expect to feel different when I test drive the WRX and how does the WRX stack up to a Speed3 or other cars at that level?
    2.) I think I found someone, a prominent used car dealership selling a 2005 WRX (black) with 16k miles, for $19k. Is that a solid price? That low miles, anything I should look for, or are chances that a Grandmother was driving that and decided to get rid of it?
    3.) How well do Subaru's stack against Toyota's/Honda's in terms of maintainability costs and maintenance occurrences?

Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyfud View Post
    1.) After driving a Speed3, what should I expect to feel different when I test drive the WRX and how does the WRX stack up to a Speed3 or other cars at that level?
    2.) I think I found someone, a prominent used car dealership selling a 2005 WRX (black) with 16k miles, for $19k. Is that a solid price? That low miles, anything I should look for, or are chances that a Grandmother was driving that and decided to get rid of it?
    3.) How well do Subaru's stack against Toyota's/Honda's in terms of maintainability costs and maintenance occurrences?

Thanks for the help!
    1) you should expect to feel SAFE. i test drove the speed3 and i felt very unsafe due to the torque steer. i was barely getting on it and the car was all over the road. i think it has way too much hp/tq for being FWD.

2) 16k miles is GREAT however that price isnt. for 19k you can get a used 06/07... try to chew down the price. you should look for any modifications... the more stock it is, the better.

3) well, i've had 3 hondas previous to the wrx and i've found them to pretty much be the same. of course regular oil changes are a must... and for the wrx there are points that we have to have "major inspections" (30k miles... 45k miles... 60k miles... etc etc) which will probably cost a bit

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.