Quick Purchasing Question [I swear]
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Quick Purchasing Question [I swear] within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Howdy, I am thinking about purchasing an '02 WRX Wagon with 80k for about 00 or so. I checked through ...

Quick Purchasing Question [I swear]

Howdy,

I am thinking about purchasing an '02 WRX Wagon with 80k for about $8500 or so. I checked through the maintenance receipts and everything seems in good shape. I know the owner and he definitely did not beat on it.

The only issue is that it desperately needs new tires. I'm at a loss for what to purchase. I am not super well versed the realm of tires and rims.

He has the original the 205/16 stock rims on there. I am wondering whether if its worth it to invest in new rims so I can go do 215/17 or if I should stick with what its got and just get new tires.

Money is definitely something I am trying to conserve in this situation, so I am looking for a little expert advice.

Any feedback would be great. Suggestions on tire/rim combos, pros/cons whatever.

Thanks!
    Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Use tires as a bargaining point - have him get new tires or take some $$ off.

What type of tire are you looking for? Will these tires see snow? Summer only?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

We discussed him picking up the tire cost, but then he would want to raise the price. Given the condition and miles I think that's reasonable for the most part.

Since thats the case I figured I should pick them myself.

I live in the Boston area so there is surely snow in my future. Even so, my main concern is handling with winter performance a distant second.

Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by theDingus View Post
    We discussed him picking up the tire cost, but then he would want to raise the price. Given the condition and miles I think that's reasonable for the most part.

Since thats the case I figured I should pick them myself.

I live in the Boston area so there is surely snow in my future. Even so, my main concern is handling with winter performance a distant second.

Thanks
    Considering the winters of the Northeast, I'd recommend getting a set of dedicated snows, but that's expensive.

A good set of A/S tires would be your second best option - the Goodyear Eagle F1 is a good set that will offer decent snow traction, and good summer performance.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.