2004 wrx buy or no buy
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2004 wrx buy or no buy within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Ok, so its an 04 wrx with spt exhaust intake, and unknown BOV (also an automatic) it has 110k miles ...

2004 wrx buy or no buy

Ok, so its an 04 wrx with spt exhaust intake, and unknown BOV (also an automatic)

it has 110k miles and is asking around 10k for it (KBB says about that much).

Now we took it to a mechanic and got the car looked at, but the guy said that there was oil on one of the tubes or pipes near the turbo, Now im wondering what could it be? they said it was the turbo going bad, but im wondering if anyone could tell me if thats true or maybe its a bad tube that just needs to be replaced. The guy is also taking it to his mechanic to get it checked up on.

any info would be great.

Thanks, tauzins
    Last edited by tauzins; 07-17-2008 at 12:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tauzins View Post
    Ok, so its an 04 wrx with spt exhaust intake, and unknown BOV (also an automatic)

Now we took it to a mechanic and got the car looked at, but the guy said that there was oil on one of the tubes or pipes near the turbo, Now im wondering what could it be? they said it was the turbo going bad, but im wondering if anyone could tell me if thats true or maybe its a bad tube that just needs to be replaced. The guy is also taking it to his mechanic to get it checked up on.

any info would be great.

Thanks, tauzins

sounds like a car you need to stay away from.

find something else, stock.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    sounds like a car you need to stay away from.

find something else, stock.
    i know the bov is prolly a knockoff HKS but i didnt get a good look at it.

Any idea what would cause that leak? Also i was told that wrx's should run at least 200k miles if they were taken care of, in which this one was.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    if it has a BOV, it obviously wasnt taken care of

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by tauzins View Post

any info would be great.

Thanks, tauzins
    sounds like the cv boot ripped and sprayed grease on the turbos tubes. check that first. The fact that is has a bov doesn't mean it wasn't taken care of. I have yet to find someone who blew an engine because of a BOV. They certainly don't help turbo spoll or gas mileage tho.
    Bugeye Mafia #185
    Blobeye Syndicate #38
    San Remo Alliance............#002

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans View Post
    sounds like the cv boot ripped and sprayed grease on the turbos tubes. check that first. The fact that is has a bov doesn't mean it wasn't taken care of. I have yet to find someone who blew an engine because of a BOV. They certainly don't help turbo spoll or gas mileage tho.
    ahh ok, i feel better about it, but im not gonna know for sure until i let subaru take a look at it and then ill find out. which btw, the 23 point inspection should check the turbo also correct? the service person told me it would check the turbo if it was leaking or not.

Thanks for all the reply's, tauzins

personally i wouldnt buy it...to many miles and any car with mods you always have to wonder how hard they drove it

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Get a manual.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Get a manual.
    well i mean it would be nice but then again i dont mind getting an auto. either is fine for me.

as for the comment before, the original owner was a chick that lived in tampa fl, and drove to orlando fl ucf everyday... no idea why. but then she sold it b/c she got a new evo. or something and the guy who bought it bought it at 80k miles

thats mainly what i know carfax says no reports at least.

thanks for concerns, tauzins

Im pretty new at posting here, but ive been reading stuff for a while and am finally ready to buy one...

but doesnt 10k seem a little high for that mileage and an auto? there is one around here for 9k with less miles and a new transmission...

im still learning though

i bought an 02 with 51k miles for 11.5k not to bad i guess

Quote Originally Posted by WRX_Karl View Post
    i bought an 02 with 51k miles for 11.5k not to bad i guess
    im looking at one like that right now, with a few factory upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Get a manual.
    I agree with this post. subie auto's are good durible transmissions but they suck when it comes to performance. also 10grand is high for a car with 110k on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLude7 View Post
    im looking at one like that right now, with a few factory upgrades
    yea i bought mine with the gold superleggeras and blue/black leather. Everything else was stock

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.