2002 WRX Motor Swap vs. 04-05 STI HELP!!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX Motor Swap vs. 04-05 STI HELP!!! within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey, I just signed up because I am a future subie owner. I was debating on what route i should ...

Question 2002 WRX Motor Swap vs. 04-05 STI HELP!!!

Hey, I just signed up because I am a future subie owner. I was debating on what route i should go. I either want like an 02 wrx for cheap and swap out the motor for like 05 sti motor......or buy an 04 or 05 sti straight up. No matter what I buy I want to do some wrenching and mods. But I dont know what to do. I think if i go the 02 wrx route and swap the motor it will be cheaper than the sti right!? But is it a big cost savings? Please give any and all opinions. This is a big decision for me. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    if you can afford it, go for the sti right off the bat.

sure you can throw an sti engine into a bugeye, but i dont think you can ever compensate for the sti tranny+handling capabilities, without a decent amount of extra work.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

its definitely cheaper to buy an 04-05 STi straight out rather than buy a bugeye and swap it, unless you get a REAL junker.

A swap is much more complicated than just unbolting the motor, you need to get the STi ECU and rewire the whole car as well, and while your at it you might as well do the transmission, rear diff, axles, hubs, and brembos.

Once you add all that cost, time and labor in, there is no way its going to be cheaper than finding a nice $18-$20k 04 STi.

If you found some very 'lived in' parts and did all the work yourself you might break even.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

Ya dont get me wrong I want an sti real bad over the other. The other day though there was an 02 wrx. Perfect condition except for it had 120,000 miles. And it was only $3,200. Thats what had got me thinking.

STI all the way. You wont regret it! Just be patient and find one that hasn't been abused with low miles. I mean look at my avatar....sexyness
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

Personally, I would find a nice, low mileage '05 STI. Swapping a Bugeye would be a lot of work, and it would never be quite as good as the STI.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.