My modifications
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on My modifications within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just thought I'd post to thank everyone (and especially Big Sky) for all the awesome information in this forum. ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

My modifications

I just thought I'd post to thank everyone (and especially Big Sky) for all the awesome information in this forum. Using the search button I actually found out everything I needed to make my first "tune up" of the suspension and brakes, and information on the installations as well. I can't imagine what it would take to put this together on my own.

Here are the parts I will start with (for 2003 wagon): Toyo Proxes 4, SS brake lines, speed bleeders, ATE super blue brake fluid, 20mm rear sway bar, 2004 STI sway bar mounts & hardware, and steering rack bushings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suspension and brakes.jpg 
Views:	749 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	62944

Oakos, Edge Racing, and All Subaru were all expedient and delivered as promised.

My wagon was built july 2003 so I have to measure the brake pads before I order, as per the sticky. I think I missed the Ferodo 2500 fitment cutoff by 1 month. I wonder if you can differentiate between the two possible front calipers by the bleeder size? I'll have to look into that later.

I'm having the tires mounted and custom alignment tomorrow (max front camber ~-1.0-1.5, zero toe all around, and minimize the cross camber and toe).

I'll update once I get this stuff on. I think I'm going to like this!
    Last edited by mycologist; 05-22-2009 at 08:45 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yup.

I'd also look into the ebay knock-off H-brace for the front and strut bar for the back if you're not quite happy....they did wonders for me, and they're cheap.
    Last edited by blarg; 05-03-2006 at 05:20 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks - they look like a bargain. Not sure if I can handle that pink inside the car but I gues I don't really have to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist
    Thanks - they look like a bargain. Not sure if I can handle that pink inside the car but I gues I don't really have to look at it.
    I got a blue one....and its under the car anyway..and the strut bars are in the trunk.
    Last edited by blarg; 05-03-2006 at 05:59 PM.
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Sweet, I'll look again. I don't think I'd care if it weren't a wagon.
    Last edited by mycologist; 05-03-2006 at 06:06 PM.

Sweet, I'll look again. I don't think I'd care if it weren't a wagon.
    mine's a wagon too.
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh yeah, cool mate! Forgive my loss on the translation.

I see a Whiteline box in the pic, but nothing in the list. Did you forget something, or just get another part (I'm guessing swaybar) in the Whiteline box?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, they shipped the other sway bar in that box.

That looks to be a pretty damn good start.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Looks good I think folks would be very suprised what a few well thought out mods will do for their otherwise stock WRX. You've addresses (w/ the exception of pads) the real "weaknesses" of the oe WRX setup IMO- tires, alignment, rear sway bar, brake fluid. When you bleed the brakes pull one of the pads- you'll see which you have- my guess is you've missed the "cutoff". Once you find out for sure- put pads on your list- I think the Hwp HP+ is available in that size, by all accounts a pretty good pad..
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

H6 rear brake upgrade is next.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks guys,

Good to know I'm headed in the right direction.

The pads are definately top on the list now. I was looking at the H6 and that sounds like a good way to go too. Once the check book recovers that is.

So I got my tires and alignment done today. I went to a local place and rolled the dice. The guy turned out to be an expert master alignment jedi - he said he was sick of doing factory specs on Camrys and he considered it fun. Its an awesome printout if anyone wants to see.

Toe was 0.00 all the way around and -1.2 camber on each side up front. The rear cross camber is a bit off though. Is that a big deal? I want to see how the rest of this stuff works before I play with rear camber bolts.

I got to test it a bit on a nearby road with a bunch of 2nd gear kinks and bends and it feels like a whole new car (coming from greasy 30K Re-92s). Unfortunately there were a bunch of pokes out for the most part though. I swear this lady was going to stop and use a signal to get around the corner.

The rear cross camber is a bit off though. Is that a big deal? I want to see how the rest of this stuff works before I play with rear camber bolts.
    Nothing he can do about camber in the rear, so no reason to sweat it (until you get some camber bolts back there).

have you had the ABS controller replaced? (its a recall). get that done before you start replacing your calipers of SOA won't do it.

H6 rears will change the brake bias. Its a better idea to pair the H6 reads with the 4-pot fronts....or just buy a set of Brembo take-offs....just remember the stock wheels won't clear a lot of the brake upgrades.
    go f*** yourself

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.