My modifications - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on My modifications within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX nice bits- someone has a lot of work in the future Yup. I could ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    nice bits- someone has a lot of work in the future

Yup. I could do the sways easily today, but might as well do the ALK while the subframe is off, but then I need an alignment so I might as well do the corners at the same time.... Looks like I need a whole weekend given my slow nature.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll need to confer with both of you sometime in the not-so-distant future. My car is quick enough now to where I feel like my suspension/brakes are no longer up to par.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Sweet, finally made some progress and knocked off the worrisome bits for the suspension -

Trans. crossmember bushings - didn't realize those were important when doing the Group N mount....

Steering rack bushings - had to redo because somehow I squished the Noltecs out after something like 35K miles. I should take a pic the passenger side was destroyed. I think following the scooby mods thread that suggested the grease was optional was part of the problem. Also seems like the drivers side may have been kinked a tiny bit when I put it in. I dunno but the braskets were still closed and torqued. PITA.

Front sway bar - check. If only everything was that easy.

ALK is in except for torquing it back up and fitting in the subframe spacers. I put the car back on the ground and decided it would be fine to let it settle overnight first

I'll be in the beer thread if anyone need me

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Steering rack bushings - had to redo because somehow I squished the Noltecs out after something like 35K miles. I should take a pic the passenger side was destroyed. I think following the scooby mods thread that suggested the grease was optional was part of the problem. Also seems like the drivers side may have been kinked a tiny bit when I put it in. I dunno but the braskets were still closed and torqued. PITA.
    What were the symptoms that caused you to look at them?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade-0 View Post
    What were the symptoms that caused you to look at them?
    Dirty oil.

I had to drive it like that for a bit after I noticed but between the driver's side being intact and what was left nothing was moving around much. It was probably gradual too so I never noticed any big change.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I know you still have some work to do towards the other end of the car
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    I should qualify they were hard miles but I think this is operator error on the previous install as noted above. The piece that looks missing is just curled under.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02492.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	86652

I know you still have some work to do towards the other end of the car
    Hopefully the tool will come in tomorrow. It sounds entertaining at least.

I Support ClubWRX
    Rear trailing links with group N bushings from Big Sky, and the ones for the other ends are pressed into car with his very cool press.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02495 small.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	86700
    Last edited by mycologist; 01-09-2010 at 06:17 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    good deal

your making fast work of this mechanic'ng

I Support ClubWRX
    good deal

your making fast work of this mechanic'ng
    LOL I thought I was going pretty slow (as usual)! I guess I've just been lucky for not getting stuck anywhere so far (knocks on wood).

Looks like the RCE's & Konis will have to wait a bit. I have to find somewhere with a vice where I can make a mess and school starts up tomorrow. Ah well, at least I will get to see what all this other stuff does on it's own.

I Support ClubWRX
    that's my pace too- anytime I try and speed things is usually where I make a mistake

you definitely want a vice for the Koni inserts, I saw pics of someone doing it in their driveway, but a vice makes it much easier (and probably adds to the precision )

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmmm. I got an alignment this AM and not sure on the caster #s.

I ended up with 3.1 & 3.6 with the ALK. Stock is supposed to be 3.35 +-.45. Bugger. Car hasn't ever hit anything in my possession which accounts for all but 250 miles. I need to check my last alignment as I never paid attention to caster before. I still have the Com Cs to install but that wont help with adjustment will it?.
    Last edited by mycologist; 01-11-2010 at 12:45 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's really coming along good, myco

I should really start working on dealing with my stuff soon, as it's getting pretty bad with the collection of parts I have sitting awaiting install (I have at least 18 parts to do still). It's tough because I don't have space to do it at home (I can only fit half my car in the garage), and I've been too lazy to drive 45-min each way for my cheap lift access ($10/hr).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    More on the caster - the last alignment fro 5/09 I had Left 3.3 and right 3.0. Now with the ALK I have Left 3.6 and right 3.1 - so delta = .3 for the left but only .1 for the right. I am starting to wonder if their caster measurement sucks or what is going on. On the way in I noted an increase in steering weight and I didn't even know that was an expected result so I think the caster actually went up (at least the dynamic effect is noticable). IDK what to think.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It's really coming along good, myco

I should really start working on dealing with my stuff soon, as it's getting pretty bad with the collection of parts I have sitting awaiting install (I have at least 18 parts to do still). It's tough because I don't have space to do it at home (I can only fit half my car in the garage), and I've been too lazy to drive 45-min each way for my cheap lift access ($10/hr).

Thanks Mathew - I am quite familiar with the guilty feeling for having a big pile of parts laying around!

In addition to the struts I have Ron's old TDO4, grimmspeed BCS and am waiting for a Perrin inlet too. Then I want to work on the tune a bit more etc., and get a big intercooler, mani & crosspipe etc. I'm honestly not sure whether the car will aver be in a state of "done" again LOL.

I Support ClubWRX
    Okay, so here is what I'm thinking - both the OEM brackets and the whitelines are slotted in the fore-aft direction. So although I torqued them back in with the car on the ground (literally), maybe they settled into a different position. BTW I checked again and they are installed correctly with regard to orientation.

Do I:

1) not worry about it

2) have them scootch the bracket a bit forward on the right side to increase the caster a bit and maybe scootch the left back a tad? Do you think I could get a few tenths in degrees of caster correction without moving it much or causing other problems?

3) Ditch the Com C's and get caster/camber plates instead?

4) install the com c and see if it improves (maybe a top hat issue)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.