My modifications - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on My modifications within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Glad you found a good tech- they are hard to come by! How bad is the cross off on the ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Glad you found a good tech- they are hard to come by! How bad is the cross off on the rear? A couple of tenths is fine.

H6 will work fine in combination w/ the oe two pot sliders and no clearance issues.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Rear camber was 0.2 off, so sounds okay for now.

I'll get the ABS thing done at the 30K service coming up this month. That is very good advice.

I do notice the brakes are biased more to the front now, so I think the H6 will help with that. I wouldn't mind having those 4 pots for the opposed piston feel though. I think I'll go after the AP and UP/DP first though.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist
    Rear camber was 0.2 off, so sounds okay for now.

I'll get the ABS thing done at the 30K service coming up this month. That is very good advice.

I do notice the brakes are biased more to the front now, so I think the H6 will help with that. I wouldn't mind having those 4 pots for the opposed piston feel though. I think I'll go after the AP and UP/DP first though.
    they're SUPPOSED to be biased towards the front...look at the brake discs and brakes. see how much bigger the front ones are? the front ones are supposed to do most of the work...if you start shifting too much braking to the rear you will lose control of the rear end when you brake in a turn...that's why I'm saying be careful with that H6 upgrade...it works great for straight line stops, but not all stops are straigh-line ones.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks I appreciate the word of caution. By that I meant that they seem to be biased more to the front than might be optimal. I really haven't gotten to the point of researching the whole brake modification thing much beyond improving the pads etc. It seems that getting the bias right is as important or more than increasing braking power. I had heard that others were having good luck with the stock front/H6 rear combo but the only way to see if it works for me is to try it I suppose (carefully that is). Honestly there aren't that many straight lines around here.

So how were Heathers Boobies?
    Last edited by mycologist; 05-04-2006 at 05:02 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    .2 cross in the rear is nothing to sweat at all

The H6 moves bias only very slightly rearward- it is still very front biased. The H6 shares the same diameter as the rear FHI two pots (290mm). The FHI 4/2 pots shift bias even more rearward than the oe slider/H6 as the four pot pistons are smaller.

The 294/290 combo is well proven- almost every WRX built for the last six years has this combo as oem (save the USDM market which just came onboard).

Nothing to fear from the H6

good to know. I am planning to do the Subaru 4-pot fronts H6 rears in the future, but I wanted to do them at the same time...just have to get this motor stuff done in the next month or two so I can concentrate on those. still have to figure out if those brakes will fit under the stock 16's.
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    They'll fit w/ a 3mm spacer, but not w/ out them. I ended selling my oe rims and got a set of RS rims (the older RS rims are 16x7 and clear the four pots fine).

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    They'll fit w/ a 3mm spacer, but not w/ out them. I ended selling my oe rims and got a set of RS rims (the older RS rims are 16x7 and clear the four pots fine).
    well if I'm going to get new rims, I'll probably get Kosei K1's. the 16" wheels are 13 lbs and at $200 each they're not crazy expensive.
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like that is settled.

I am pretty happy with the stock wheels, so I'll probably do the H6 only at first.

This past weekend I did the steering rack bushings...I bought the superpro's after reading one of BIGSKY's reviews. Its a totally stock 02, and I have to say it really makes a huge improvement Just a suggestion, you may want to do all of those mods one at a time...Then you can post your impressions of the change / effects it had on your car. And then again who wants to wait Cool stuff bud

I Support ClubWRX
    I did mine this weekend as well. I am ending up doing them one at a time anyway because I ordered the wrong rear sway bar. I'll be picking up the 2002 sedan bar at the dealer this Thursday.

So was that fun putting in the steering rack bushings or what? I think mine was as obstinant as they come.

Oh my god...it was the bear that everyone says it was! Did you notice the differrence as well or am I just creating this in my head...

I ordered the worng sway bar once before as well Jamie the subbie rally queen was awesome in helping me return that and get what I needed...

so are the steering rack bushings worth it? I hear its a lot of work.
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    I think it is a noticable difference. I don't think it would actually get you through a corner quicker necessarily (other than confidence wise), but it feels appreciably more solid and steady. It is a more direct feel and road imperfections don't alter your course as much. It feels more like my old 633 now - you can dial in your steering and hold it, instead of microadjusting as much in a constant turn.

blarg - big pain in the b tthole. It is totally worth the saturday afternoon, exspecially when you have a couple of buddies, a beer or two ( NOT RECOMMENDED WHEN WORKING ON YOUR CAR, but helpful non the less ) ...your buddies will step in when all the blood rush's out of your hands after an hour or more under the car...

I definatly notice the difference, but your right, it doesn't turn my wagon into a EVO chasing go cart...but a more confident snap to the wheel I like!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.