2017 WRX Limited Build
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2017 WRX Limited Build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have decided that it would be appropriate to chronicle my experience with my 2017 WRX Limited including mods, ...

2017 WRX Limited Build

So I have decided that it would be appropriate to chronicle my experience with my 2017 WRX Limited including mods, problems, thoughts, etc. So without further ado a short revuew after 7k miles.

So 7k miles in and what do I think of the car? It's a fantastic car that's loads of fun, but not without its fair share of problems. I'll split this into Exterior, Interior, and Driving.
    Exterior:
    The exterior is in good condition and I haven't noticed any paint chips or scratches to speak of (besides a door ding ).

Interior:
    I clean the interior every Sunday so I would be very upset if it had any issues. The interior is still in very good condition and the leather shows no signs of wear and tear. I'm glad to see that the interior seems to hold up well if taken care of. What I'm not happy with is that the dash collects dust very easily and the plastic in the back tends to rattle when the exhaust gets drony.

Driving:
    7k miles in and it is still very fun to drive, but there are issues I need to fix that I'll start with. The biggest one is the non-linear throttle which makes it seem like 30% is more like 85% throttle. Then is how sloppy the shifter is in 1,2,5, and 6. Their is way too much movement in the shifter side to side in those gears. The exhaust is too quiet as well unless it's at ~1500rpm and it's very bassy. Finally, the boost drops down to about 10-11psi very shortly after reaching peak at 15.9psi before redline. Those are the cons. Besides that I love the suspension stiffness, the clutch, the throws, the steering, etc.

Now that I have that out of the way I just got my first set of mods for my WRX. Now I just got a Boomba STS, Perrin Brass Bushing, and Perrin Shifter Stop. I said that I love the throws in it right now, but that doesn't mean I would like them shorter. I will update when I get it installed with ease of installation and thoughts of the products. If anyone has any suggestions before I install it that would help, it would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have the same car with the Perrin shift stop and bushing along with their shift knob. Together they clean up and make shifting smooth and clean.
    2017 WRX Limited - Cobb Turbo back with MAP CAI and Tune
    2015 Yamaha FZ09

Also I recommend the Cobb Access port, their stage 1 map will smooth things out and get rid of the crappy throttle response.
    2015 Yamaha FZ09

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yup, do the Cobb stage 1 map. The dealer loaded mine up with 300 miles on the ODO. Even though I'm staying under the 4000rpm limit (still breaking in) the throttle response is perfectly linear, and doesn't surge forward like you stomped the gas. From forum research, it looks like the OEM tune commands nearly 100% throttle with the pedal only 1/3 the way down.
    2017 WRX

Does stage one add any noticeable power?

Quote Originally Posted by mjmwrx View Post
    Does stage one add any noticeable power?
    I don't know yet, I haven't been past 4,000rpm as I'm still under break-in. Their map notes say how much power increase there is: COBB Tuning - Maps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dyno-subaru-wrx-mt-2015.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	278466
    2017 WRX

2015 Yamaha FZ09

March or February I will be getting the Cobb AP, Invidia N1 dual, Invidia Catless DP, MAP CAI, and MAP TMIC and CP. I've heard great things about the Cobb AP, but I would rather do the tune and everything else all at the same time. Just my thoughts on it. Also will be uploading a stock dyno graph from VD after this snow clears up.

Just a bit of free chicken MAPerformance sells the COBB AP with a custom map they tuned their WRX to that is better than the COBB OTS maps. Also you get all the standard COBB maps...including the stage 1 you reference.

That's actually the reason I am going to be buying the AP and other stuff from them. They have that free custom tune and they show actual data for all their mods.

Yes they do, it sucks you have to use their CAI for their map/tune.
    2015 Yamaha FZ09

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverMetal View Post
    How bout the butt dyno?

^^^ For sure there is a major difference.
    2015 Yamaha FZ09

So what is everyone's thoughts on Virtual Dyno? Is it worth it and how bad are the results if you are not on a 100% flat road?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cschubert117 View Post
    So what is everyone's thoughts on Virtual Dyno? Is it worth it and how bad are the results if you are not on a 100% flat road?
    A dyno is only a relative tuning tool. The numbers themselves are meaningless. That applies to any form of dynamometer.

Dyno FAQ

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Street supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Now chock-full of more subforums! |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.