Kamil's '11 WRX HB Journal
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Kamil's '11 WRX HB Journal within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone! I introduced myself to the forums early January of 2014, shortly after purchasing my 1st WRX, a 2011 ...

Kamil's '11 WRX HB Journal

Hey everyone!

I introduced myself to the forums early January of 2014, shortly after purchasing my 1st WRX, a 2011 Lightning Red Hatchback. Here are some pics of it, along with our other toys:

And of course the necessary snow pic:

I'm starting this thread to keep track of any modifications and/or repairs that will take place during it's life in my possession. The car is currently only being used for daily duties mixed in with some spirited driving so that's where most mods/upgrades will stem from. I've only installed the following since I got the car:

- POWER STOP K4490 Z23 Evolution Sport rotors and pads
    - K&N drop-in air filter

I've been eyeing up some wheels for it for quite some time since it's one of the best upgrades you can throw at your car. I was torn between the ROTA Grids, MXR-Rs or the very popular Enkei RPF1, all in gold of course After some serious internal debating between my conscience and myself, I've decided on the Enkei for 2 reasons: build quality and resale value. I finally pulled a trigger on them today and ordered them in 18x9.5 et38. They'll be wrapped with 265/35ZR-18 BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2. I also ordered knock-off Enkei center caps and aluminum hub centric rings for the wheels. I'll post some pictures once they're mounted and installed

I do have a couple of questions for you guys:

1. Which TMPS sensors can I run with these wheels?
    2. What's a good re-programmer to buy for the TPMS so this way I can avoid trips to the dealer?

Thanks ahead for the replies!

Next on the list: anything to reduce the annoying bounce and body roll!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice looking car. I'm right down the road, in Rochester.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoRex View Post
    Nice looking car. I'm right down the road, in Rochester.
    Thanks! I used to do IT work down there @ 1 East Main downtown a few years back. I was there a few weeks ago looking at an STi with a friend, we went out to Dinosaur BBQ after - so damn good! I also bought my winter wheels from some guy in Rochester.

Update:

I called TireRack and they said stock sensors should be good with the Enkei, so I've went ahead and ordered a set of Densos from RockAuto:

2011 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX 2.5L H4 Turbocharged Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor | RockAuto

Still doing research on programming tools. My wife's '09 WRX will end up getting my wheels and those also will have to get programmed so this tool will save me $ in the long run, especially since I'll be swapping the wheels every season.

The tires came in today! Mmm....meat.

Awwww yiiiiiss! The rims came in today! The TPMS sensors should be here Saturday so I should be running these sometime next week! Can't wait!

I've stated that I was going to do the suspension stuff next but I've decided to wait on that. Seeing how I just got these beautiful wheels, I think filling in the extra space with bigger brakes would do wonders not just for looks but for performance as well. The stock brakes are fine but experience brake fade rather quickly!

So, instead of blowing a ton of money on a set of used Brembos, I've went with the cheapest possible alternative: Subaru 4-pot calipers, which normally go for ~$500 new for the front set. Well, A1 Cardone offers a remanufactured caliper for half that price but they're unpainted. Since I already own a powder coating setup, I'll coat these calipers myself and save a couple hundred bucks

Here's a set of calipers I rebuilt and powder coated on my 240SX project:

Last edited by Kamilitaryman; 04-14-2016 at 02:41 AM.

Update:

I'll have to scrap the idea of running reman Subaru-specific calipers. It turns out that currently, it's nearly impossible to find a front set of reman Subaru 4-pots or even Brembos for that matter for the STi! So, after much debate I'm down to 2 choices:

1.) Buy a set of reman Z32 calipers, LGT rotors and the KNS bracket +all the hardware

OR

2.) Just bite the bullet and buy a set of the Subaru OEM 4-pot calipers

Either way, this will have to wait for funds. I'm just planning for now
    Last edited by Kamilitaryman; 04-16-2016 at 03:00 AM.

Finally got the new wheels mounted up today! The rears aren't rolled yet but they will very soon. They haven't rubbed yet but I know they will ever so lightly on a hard dip. Here's a few shots from today:

Last edited by Kamilitaryman; 04-20-2016 at 11:00 PM.

Im also about to do rims and tires, im going with 18x8 enki m52's with the same tires you picked, except ill probably keep stock width, maybe ill go 235 but no more than that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRex2010 View Post
    Im also about to do rims and tires, im going with 18x8 enki m52's with the same tires you picked, except ill probably keep stock width, maybe ill go 235 but no more than that for me.
    Nice choice of wheels. I think they look good!

Update:

I finally got my hands on a used set of 4-pot calipers! I got them from a member on NASIOC for a really good price. The passenger side was in excellent shape but the driver side got cooked at some point in it's life. Either way, I didn't care much for their condition as I knew I'd be rebuilding them anyways. Well, I put in some work on them over the last few days. They're not finished yet, just waiting on a few seals and new decals (gold Subaru text). I made the color myself by mixing 2 different powders: gloss black and black diamond metallic.

Here are a few progress pics from start until now:

Last edited by Kamilitaryman; 05-04-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Lookin good! How do the four pots match up with the brackets on a 2011?
    "If the power increases, then I have to spend more money on gas" - Takumi Fujiwara

Build: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...eye-wagon.html

Quote Originally Posted by mustwarnorcas View Post
    Lookin good! How do the four pots match up with the brackets on a 2011?
    Thanks! It's direct bolt-on for the 4-pots. The rears require adapter brackets and a 2010+ LGT rotor.

Nice work bud, congrats on the find!
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 WRX COBB Surgeline Stage 2 Pro Tune
    Journal-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

Quote Originally Posted by Goose42 View Post
    Nice work bud, congrats on the find!
    Thank you! It took a while to find them but I found them! I'll be ordering the rear set along with the KNS brackets and LGT rotors sometime soon. My fender roller came in this week so I'll be rolling the rears this weekend....I'm scared lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.