13 wrx E85 build + reviews
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 13 wrx E85 build + reviews within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The purpose of this post is going to be a build journal with associated reviews for each part I've put ...

13 wrx E85 build + reviews

The purpose of this post is going to be a build journal with associated reviews for each part I've put on. I want to do this because as I was learning what to do and not do as I was upgrading my car, I felt like a lot of information regarding parts specific to GR+ ejs was either outdated, wrong, or just missing. Of course there is still a plethora of knowledge in unabombers manifesto on nasioc, and through zax and other gurus posts on here - but those major faqs and stickies are old and not part specific. My goal is to illustrate a build that has been very fun for me, and to speak to the specific parts that make up the build for others convenience, and conversation. Links to imgur albums will be inserted at relevant points.

(this is going to take me some time to complete since I have very little free time, sorry about that)

Current Build:

Cobb SF Intake
    Process West Verticooler
    Grimmspeed Downpipe (catted)
    Tsudo Midpipe,
    Nameless Axleback (track pipe w 4" tip),
    Grimmspeed EBCS,
    ACT streetlite flywheel,
    ID 1000cc Injectors,
    DW65C Fuel Pump,
    Cobb adj Shirt Shifter & Knob,
    RCE Regular Guy Springs,
    CR Kai Replicas-Koya Racing, 18x8.5 +32
    Cobb Accessport v3
    E85 Pro Tune from PIA

Results: (PIAs Mustang Dyno)
    335whp 374wtq @20.0psi

Reviews :

Cobb SF Intake
    So when I first put this on I also had the corresponding airbox. I ended up taking it off because I found that the airbox just absorbed the entire sum of the energy in the universe and turned into an intake oven. I did some logs with and without in traffic over a drive to Portland and my intake temps were lower without the box. Perhaps this is because of where I live (washington). Maybe in an environment with very high temperatures the box is great to have.
    The construction itself was great quality. Everything lined up well and it was an easy install. Maybe 30 minutes. My only complaint about its design (aside from making my intake hot lol) is the tiny Allen screws used to hold the top of the box on. You have to remove 4 little Allen screws whenever you want to clean the filter, and god help you if you drop them.
    I would score the airbox as 3/5.
    The intake itself is great quality, takes less time to install than the stocker takes to remove, is easy to clean, is very useful once you're at "stage 2+" power levels, and makes your bpv sound like a bov without having to put on some leaky atmospheric bov. Looks great too. Just wish it had higher quality clamps.
    I would score the SF Intake as 4/5

Grimmspeed Downpipe
    This downpipe is one of my favorite pieces on my car. As soon as I opened the box I was so happy with the amazing quality of the welds, and the amazing attention to detail on every shape of every bend. I peeked inside the pipe with a fiber optic camera from work and the inside is as good looking as the outside. The little flange that separates the turbo exhaust from the wastegate port fits perfectly, as does every part of this pipe at every place it mates up against something. All of the mounting points are in the same spot as stock, even the hangar that clips onto the chassis about halfway down the pipe. This is a feature I love because it makes the install an easy one man job. The fully divorced wastegate tube means that you will need to either modify your stock head shield to fit, remove it completely, or replace it. I chose to put on a turbo blanket, and will review that piece later on. I chose the normal version of the downpipe which is not ceramic heat coated, and has one high flow catalytic converter. One important note on the cat is that it is placed in optimal position - meaning as far away from the turbo as possible to improve flow. The side effect of this is that the stock clips for the wiring of your rear sensor will not allow it to reach the bung on the downpipe. The simple and obvious 30 second fix is to pop the little plastic clips off your transmission housing, thus allowing the wiring to extend far enough so that your sensor will reach the bung. I saw people on other forums and on rallysportdirect solving this problem by spending 20 bucks on an extension harness for the sensor but that's totally unnecessary and just adds to the cost and time.
    Install time was probably 2.5 hours for me on a nice lift in a shop - most of that time was spent dealing with the turbo bolts and the annoying heat shield removal. Besides the elbow grease required its an easy install.
    I would score this product a true 5/5

-more will be edited in-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by crepitus; 12-28-2015 at 01:59 PM.
    fear is the mind killer

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Reserved for reviews

fear is the mind killer

Reserved for reviews

fear is the mind killer

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.